Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: WTA P Doha 2/11 - 2/16 2019

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    "You're missing too much. You've been a charity so far." ~ Kontaveit's coach during their most recent on-court coaching session
    Is her coach Nigel Sears or someone else?

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Is her coach Nigel Sears or someone else?
    It was Nigel but I didn't realize it was him because, during the day, I treat the Tennis Channel like radio, and I don't instantly recognize his voice.

ORDER OF PLAY - THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2019

CENTRE COURT start 3:30 pm

[4] [WC] E. Svitolina (UKR)
    vs [Q] K. Muchova (CZE)
    Not Before 4:30 pm
    B. Strycova (CZE) vs [3] A. Kerber (GER)
    [1] S. Halep (ROU) vs [9] J. Goerges (GER)
    Not Before 8:00 pm
    [5] K. Bertens (NED)
    vs E. Mertens (BEL)

COURT 1 start 3:30 pm

H. Chan (TPE) / L. Chan (TPE) vs L. Arruabarrena (ESP) / K. Christian (USA)
    [4] A. Groenefeld (GER) / D. Schuurs (NED) vs A. Spears (USA) / Z. Yang (CHN)
    R. Atawo (USA) / K. Srebotnik (SLO) vs V. Kudermetova (RUS) / J. Ostapenko (LAT)
    [Alt] O. Jabeur (TUN) / A. Riske (USA) vs M. Buzarnescu (ROU) / A. Rosolska (POL)
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    Wonder how many LL's were left and available given how late this occurred...
    "Any lucky losers left? No? Anyone got a sibling nearby we can throw in?"
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Really nice to see Muchova having a good tournament, building off that USO showing. I'd guess she'll be in the Top 100 soon with a very good chance at getting direct entry into slams the rest of the year.

The Halep-Svitolina semifinal will be interesting.

Basically, Svitolina has beaten Halep every time they played because the one time she lost, in the 2017 Roland Garros QF, she was up a set and 5-1 before choking. The only match they played that I really watched was in Cincinnati in 2017, when Halep won two games and Chris Evert started ripping her for giving an unprofessional effort. They played again in the last round robin at the WTA finals that year and even though Svitolina already had been eliminated, she won 6-3, 6-4 to keep Halep from reaching the semis. Halep praised herself after the match for making it competitive. They played again in the Rome final last year and Halep won four games.

Svitolina has owned Halep, Wozniacki and Kerber the past few years, winning six in a row over Kerber with the loss of one set and four of five against Woz. I've always felt an in-form Halep was more aggressive than the other two, but she's never shown it against Svitolina, getting overpowered almost every time by a player not known for huge ball-striking.
    Last edited by jazzyg; Yesterday at 12:50 PM.

Jazzyg those wins are why so many are baffled by Svitolina's so so performance at Slams.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I'm one of them.

Just two years ago here, I wrote that the Svitolina-Keys winner in the fourth round would win the U.S. Open. It almost happened, but for totally different reasons, neither player has come close to fulfilling my expectations of them. Svitolina had owned Osaka before getting destroyed by her in the Aussie QF. I have not seen her play great in any grand slam match ever, and I don't understand what the issue is.

ORDER OF PLAY - FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2019

CENTRE COURT start 4:30 pm

[1] S. Halep (ROU)
    vs [4] [WC] E. Svitolina (UKR)
    [3] A. Kerber (GER) vs E. Mertens (BEL)
    [Alt] O. Jabeur (TUN) / A. Riske (USA) vs [4] A. Groenefeld (GER) / D. Schuurs (NED)

COURT 1 start 4:30 pm

H. Chan (TPE) / L. Chan (TPE) vs V. Kudermetova (RUS) / J. Ostapenko (LAT)

Svitolina and Halep is tied at at one set. Great quality, hopefully the third set is a continuation. It's airing live on regular Tennis Channel if you're in the US. I chose a good day to go in late!

Much later than planned, but that was a great match. Halep played really well in the first set, seemed like she'd figured out how to best play Svitolina, but then Elina turned it on in the 2nd set and played almost lights out and seemed to know what Simona was going to throw at her and it seemed, that was it. The quality was high even when she was on a roll, but Elina seemed to have the answers. But Halep fought back down 1-4 in the 3rd and came back to win it. It was a fantastic win for Simona in every way, how she fought, how she handled herself while Elina was on her run of games, and how she changed tactics to overcome someone she's struggled to beat.

And a very, very good sign for the new coaching partnership, when Elina was on her run, although I was working while I was watching so my eyes were averted at times, I did not see Simona going off at her box at all. She kept it internal and worked through it, there was some negative body language but not nearly as much as we've seen with her and very little wasted energy on negative emotions in general.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Much later than planned, but that was a great match. Halep played really well in the first set, seemed like she'd figured out how to best play Svitolina, but then Elina turned it on in the 2nd set and played almost lights out and seemed to know what Simona was going to throw at her and it seemed, that was it. The quality was high even when she was on a roll, but Elina seemed to have the answers. But Halep fought back down 1-4 in the 3rd and came back to win it. It was a fantastic win for Simona in every way, how she fought, how she handled herself while Elina was on her run of games, and how she changed tactics to overcome someone she's struggled to beat.

And a very, very good sign for the new coaching partnership, when Elina was on her run, although I was working while I was watching so my eyes were averted at times, I did not see Simona going off at her box at all. She kept it internal and worked through it, there was some negative body language but not nearly as much as we've seen with her and very little wasted energy on negative emotions in general.
    Thanks for the recap. I'll go back and watch this one. Maybe Halep is a better pressure player?
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

We were talking about Svitolina's inability to win when it matters the most yesterday. The third set sounds like Exhibit A.

My very simplistic view on why Svitolina hasn't done better - not quite powerful enough to hit/serve opponents off the court and not good enough at defense to win from that direction either. Probably some psychological issues too now.
    Roger forever

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123