Agree Agree:  708
Likes Likes:  386
Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2878103118124125126127128
Results 1,906 to 1,919 of 1919

Re: The Run to the WH

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    I'm not liking the ABC Polls coming out today.

Florida: Trump vs. Biden ABC News/Wash Post Biden 47, Trump 51 Trump +4
    Arizona: Trump vs. Biden ABC News/Wash Post Biden 48, Trump 49 Trump +1
    In FL, Latinos(Hispanics) probably swung it to him. Arizona may be the same story.

Mr Distractor wants the attention to be on the Supreme Court and the Taylor decision instead of coronavirus and job losses.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I am not a political strategist by any stretch of the imagination. But I am not sure it is Trump's best interests for a Supreme Court nominee to be confirmed before the election.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Get this crazy woman that will certainly vote to overturn Roe V Wade and he gets a lot of people on board again. If his minions spread the news.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I am not a political strategist by any stretch of the imagination. But I am not sure it is Trump's best interests for a Supreme Court nominee to be confirmed before the election.
    It's a very good strategy. Not a good strategy to win independent votes or for the GOP to hold onto the senate or to win the election honorably. But it's probably his only play to win the presidency and he knows it. He greatly fears he's not going to win the election outright, his strategy is to de-legitimize as many ballots in battleground states as possible through the courts and wants the SC to deliver him a win like Bush v. Gore.** That's the strategy and it's a good one for those purposes. He may not get 5 votes on his side if it gets there, but his chances of getting there without a 9th justice sworn in are much less.

**Bush v. Gore is one of the worst SC decisions ever. It's a ****show, and I don't just mean because of the outcome. And that has the potential of being be child's play in comparison if anything like that happens this time around.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 09-23-2020 at 05:17 PM.

Chris Hayes said a few minutes ago that this strategy means that they don't trust Roberts.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Chris Hayes said a few minutes ago that this strategy means that they don't trust Roberts.
    And Gorsuch is becoming a bit of a wildcard.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Aaron Blake @AaronBlake

How on earth does DOJ send such release -- on that specific topic, in this environment -- without being thoroughly fact-checked?

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Aaron Blake @AaronBlake

How on earth does DOJ send such release -- on that specific topic, in this environment -- without being thoroughly fact-checked?

Excerpt from Washington Post Election Coverage -

Head of Pennsylvania GOP Says Legislature Might Decide the Winner (1:14 p.m.)

The head of the Pennsylvania Republican Party suggested that the state’s voters may not end up picking the state’s choice for president in November after all.

In an article in the Atlantic published Wednesday, Pennsylvania GOP Chairman Lawrence Tabas says that if there are “significant flaws” with the election, then the state’s Republican-controlled legislature might just decide the election on its own, adding that he’s discussed the idea with the Trump campaign.

“I’ve mentioned it to them, and I hope they’re thinking about it too,” he said.

Under the Constitution, a state legislature can choose to appoint its own slate of electors to the Electoral College. If that happened in a state where the winner would decide the national election, it would likely trigger a constitutional crisis as Congress would be forced to choose which results to accept.

In the article, Tabas said that while he prefers a “swift and accurate count,” an intervention by the legislature would be preferable to the public losing “faith and confidence” in the election’s integrity due to questions about ballot counting.

Republican lawmakers in Florida considered appointing their own electors during the contentious recount in 2000, but the effort was cut short by the Supreme Court decision in Bush v. Gore.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...c91_story.html

^^^ Not sharing to freak anyone out, but rather to make sure it is abundantly clear that we are not in "normal campaign strategy" mode with this Wannabe Autocrat. When @dry says he doesn't think the SC appointment is a good strategy, he's completely right, it is not. In normal times. We are so far outside of normal times it's not even funny.

This is highly unlikely to be successful in PA because the GOP does not have a veto proof majority in the state legislature, we have a Democratic governor, and the State Supreme Court, which this nonsense would be challenged in, has a Democratic majority. In other swing states where the same ideas are being floated? Could be significantly more problematic. But regardless, this type of idea shouldn't even be a consideration, and yet it is. Every idea, no matter how subversive or illegal it is, is on the table. These assholes don't give a damn about democracy, they are obsessed with power.

It comes back to a statement made by Jimmy Carter years ago. The USA is not a democracy, it is a plutocracy. Never has that been clearer than now.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Vera Bergengruen
    @VeraMBergen
    This is the full text of Donald Trump Jr.'s ad rallying supporters to join "Army for Trump's election security operation," shared by the Trump campaign on Facebook and Twitter.

If you want to see the video it's here: https://twitter.com/VeraMBergen/stat...602988546?s=20

Ellen Nakashima
    @nakashimae
    The Post's executive editor @PostBaron issued these guidelines this week to help the newsroom be prepared for a hack-and-leak scenario this election.

One smart reminder here: We should not tweet or retweet reports or comments on hacked or leaked material without first reporting them out. Resist that urge.

Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2878103118124125126127128