Agree Agree:  641
Likes Likes:  354
Page 115 of 115 FirstFirst ... 156590105111112113114115
Results 1,711 to 1,721 of 1721

Re: The Run to the WH

Kamala Harris with her husband and both stepchildren

Roger forever

His name is Douglas Emhoff. I've been following him since the primaries.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Editor's Note: Eastman's Newsweek Column Has Nothing to Do With Racist Birtherism
    NANCY COOPER AND JOSH HAMMER
    ON 8/13/20 AT 12:31 AM EDT

Some of our readers have reacted strongly to the op-ed we published by Dr. John Eastman, assuming it to be an attempt to ignite a racist conspiracy theory around Kamala Harris' candidacy. Dr. Eastman was focusing on a long-standing, somewhat arcane legal debate about the precise meaning of the phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" in the Citizenship Clause of the 14th Amendment. His essay has no connection whatsoever to so-called "birther-ism," the racist 2008 conspiracy theory aimed at delegitimizing then-candidate Barack Obama by claiming, baselessly, that he was born not in Hawaii but in Kenya. We share our readers' revulsion at those vile lies.

The 14th Amendment is one of the most-studied areas of constitutional law, and questions were raised by the Constitution's Article II, Section 1 "natural born Citizen" requirement for presidential eligibility about both John McCain and Ted Cruz, at the time of their respective runs. The meaning of "natural born Citizen," and the relation of that Article II textual requirement to the 14th Amendment's Citizenship Clause, are issues of legal interpretation about which scholars and commentators can, and will, robustly disagree.

Debating the meaning of these constitutional provisions and, in the particular case of Dr. Eastman's piece, the meaning of the 14th Amendment's phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof," is not an attempt to deny facts or to make false claims. No one is questioning Harris' place of birth or the legitimacy of an obviously valid birth certificate.

On the contrary, leading law schools have long entertained debates between competing scholars about the original public meaning of the Citizenship Clause. The issue discussed in these debates, and contested by Dr. Eastman, is whether birthright citizenship (jus soli, birth by soil), as opposed to merely citizenship by parentage (jus sanguinis, that is, citizenship by citizenship of one's parents at time of birth), is textually mandated. Again, scholars can, and do, disagree on this point.

Some scholars contend that "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" refers to a "partial" jurisdiction (e.g., when a citizen travels to a foreign land and is subject to the criminal laws of that foreign land), and some contend that it refers to a "complete" jurisdiction, which means political allegiance (hence, jus sanguinis). This "natural born Citizen" presidential requirement was debated during the 2000 and 2008 presidential campaigns of McCain (born in the Panama Canal Zone), the 2016 presidential campaign of Cruz (born in Calgary, Alberta), and at other times. In Harris' case, because her parents were not U.S. citizens at the time of her birth, her "natural born Citizen" status—a constitutional requirement for the presidency—is necessarily dependent on whether the 14th Amendment Citizenship Clause mandates jus soli, as opposed to just jus sanguinis (holding aside any independent congressional legislation in this field).

The author of the op-ed, John Eastman, a Ph.D. and longtime law professor/former law school dean who has litigated countless cases at the Supreme Court and previously clerked for Justice Clarence Thomas, is a preeminent constitutional scholar widely associated with the legal argument that the aforementioned Clause does not constitutionally mandate jus soli. (Josh Hammer, Newsweek's opinion editor, is a published constitutional scholar and former federal court of appeals law clerk who was involved in helping Senator Cruz's 2016 presidential campaign rebut the erroneous claims that Cruz was ineligible on "natural born Citizen" grounds.)

The debate pertaining to the precise constitutional requirements for the Article II phrase "natural born Citizen," having been aired in 2000, 2008 and 2016, is unlikely to fall quiet soon.

https://www.newsweek.com/editors-not...herism-1524800

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

Pool report: "During the pool spray at the briefing, [Biden was asked]: 'President Trump today said that he opposes funding for the Postal Service, tying it to mail-in voting. What do you think about that?' Mr. Biden responded: 'Pure Trump. He doesn't want an election.'"

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Editor's Note: Eastman's Newsweek Column Has Nothing to Do With Racist Birtherism
    NANCY COOPER AND JOSH HAMMER
    ON 8/13/20 AT 12:31 AM EDT

Some of our readers have reacted strongly to the op-ed we published by Dr. John Eastman, assuming it to be an attempt to ignite a racist conspiracy theory around Kamala Harris' candidacy. Dr. Eastman was focusing on a long-standing, somewhat arcane legal debate about the precise meaning of the phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" in the Citizenship Clause of the 14th Amendment. His essay has no connection whatsoever to so-called "birther-ism," the racist 2008 conspiracy theory aimed at delegitimizing then-candidate Barack Obama by claiming, baselessly, that he was born not in Hawaii but in Kenya. We share our readers' revulsion at those vile lies.

The 14th Amendment is one of the most-studied areas of constitutional law, and questions were raised by the Constitution's Article II, Section 1 "natural born Citizen" requirement for presidential eligibility about both John McCain and Ted Cruz, at the time of their respective runs. The meaning of "natural born Citizen," and the relation of that Article II textual requirement to the 14th Amendment's Citizenship Clause, are issues of legal interpretation about which scholars and commentators can, and will, robustly disagree.

Debating the meaning of these constitutional provisions and, in the particular case of Dr. Eastman's piece, the meaning of the 14th Amendment's phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof," is not an attempt to deny facts or to make false claims. No one is questioning Harris' place of birth or the legitimacy of an obviously valid birth certificate.

On the contrary, leading law schools have long entertained debates between competing scholars about the original public meaning of the Citizenship Clause. The issue discussed in these debates, and contested by Dr. Eastman, is whether birthright citizenship (jus soli, birth by soil), as opposed to merely citizenship by parentage (jus sanguinis, that is, citizenship by citizenship of one's parents at time of birth), is textually mandated. Again, scholars can, and do, disagree on this point.

Some scholars contend that "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" refers to a "partial" jurisdiction (e.g., when a citizen travels to a foreign land and is subject to the criminal laws of that foreign land), and some contend that it refers to a "complete" jurisdiction, which means political allegiance (hence, jus sanguinis). This "natural born Citizen" presidential requirement was debated during the 2000 and 2008 presidential campaigns of McCain (born in the Panama Canal Zone), the 2016 presidential campaign of Cruz (born in Calgary, Alberta), and at other times. In Harris' case, because her parents were not U.S. citizens at the time of her birth, her "natural born Citizen" status—a constitutional requirement for the presidency—is necessarily dependent on whether the 14th Amendment Citizenship Clause mandates jus soli, as opposed to just jus sanguinis (holding aside any independent congressional legislation in this field).

The author of the op-ed, John Eastman, a Ph.D. and longtime law professor/former law school dean who has litigated countless cases at the Supreme Court and previously clerked for Justice Clarence Thomas, is a preeminent constitutional scholar widely associated with the legal argument that the aforementioned Clause does not constitutionally mandate jus soli. (Josh Hammer, Newsweek's opinion editor, is a published constitutional scholar and former federal court of appeals law clerk who was involved in helping Senator Cruz's 2016 presidential campaign rebut the erroneous claims that Cruz was ineligible on "natural born Citizen" grounds.)

The debate pertaining to the precise constitutional requirements for the Article II phrase "natural born Citizen," having been aired in 2000, 2008 and 2016, is unlikely to fall quiet soon.

https://www.newsweek.com/editors-not...herism-1524800
    BS!

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I know this is odd, but...
    Have you read Sarah Palin's "advice" to Kamala Harris? Low key, sensible, friendly, respectful. Truly valid. It is surprising that Sarah wrote that.
    May have run out of bourbon during the pandemic. But honor where honor is due.
    I finally found a copy of the actual message, and it sounds exactly like Sarah Palin. Pfft. Some of you seem to have forgotten who she really is. Here is my translation of what she would have meant if she any self-awareness at all:

"The election is all about Joe Biden, so you can do anything you want. He is running his election, you can run your own election. There is absolutely no need to coordinate with him or his staff on anything from campaign events to platform messaging. Forget any idea of this campaign being a team effort. Your campaign is all about you.

You are allowed to publicly praise me and Geraldine Ferraro, but I don't give a *bleep* about Hillary Clinton.

And most of all, remember that your ego is more important that winning any stupid election."

My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

I must have misread it. For Sarah Palin, I thought it was the height of decorum.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I must have misread it. For Sarah Palin, I thought it was the height of decorum.
    In my opinion, "No, you didn't misread the message, but rather you forgot who Sarah Palin was". Her message did have decorum, but it also had very large amounts of self-unawareness. She is recommending that Kamala Harris emulate her complete unwillingness to take advice or work as a team.

To me, it appears that she has never realized that the bad press that she got was due to her actions and stands, as opposed to John McCain's actions and stands. She didn't seem to realize that the methods and platforms she used to win the governorship of Alaska were not going to be well received by the rest of the country. (I was going to say that no one with her behavior and stands would never get elected to national office, but that is obviously wrong.) Therefore, to her, campaigning in her manner was the correct way, no matter what anyone else said; and that she was right no matter what anyone else said. (Sound familiar?) And if her methods and platforms were hurting the campaign, she would be unwilling to recognize that fact. (Sound familiar?) So, for me, Sarah Palin is a poster child for People-from-whom-you-should-not-take-campaign-advice.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

12:20 p.m.
    Obama accuses Trump administration of plot to suppress mail-in votes

Former president Barack Obama accused the Trump administration of trying to suppress votes by sabotaging the U.S. Postal Service, the latest in an escalating battle over the integrity of the upcoming election.

“Everyone depends on the USPS. Seniors for their Social Security, veterans for their prescriptions, small businesses trying to keep their doors open,” Obama wrote Friday on Twitter. “They can’t be collateral damage for an administration more concerned with suppressing the vote than suppressing a virus.”

Obama linked to a podcast interview he did with his former campaign manager David Plouffe, in which he criticized President Trump’s management of the pandemic and praised former vice president Joe Biden for his selection of Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) as a running mate.

“Kamala is somebody I’ve known for years. She is smart. She is tough,” Obama said in an interview with Plouffe’s “Campaign HQ” podcast. “She is somebody who I think will be able to share the stage with Mike Pence, or whoever else, and dissect some of the terrible decisions that have been made over the last four years that have helped create worse problems than were necessary in the midst of this pandemic.”

Obama cited a combination of factors he believed should encourage voters to turn out in large numbers to vote in the weeks leading up Nov. 3, including fears that the Trump administration and Republicans would try to undermine the voting process because of a “consuming hatred of government.” Still, Obama warned that record turnout was not a given.

“The one thing we can control is voting,” he said. “We can cast our ballots like we never have before. And I do think maybe there’s one aspect of this that I should probably address, and that is voting among young people, in particular.”

Citing traditionally low turnout among younger voters, Obama encouraged young people to increase their level of participation by voting early and volunteering to work at polling places during the pandemic.

By Toluse Olorunnipa

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elect...e-time%2Fpromo

How is this an accusation when he's admitted it already?

As he attacks mail-in votes, Trump and the first lady requested absentee ballots in Florida

By
    Jaclyn Peiser
    August 14, 2020 at 6:22 a.m. EDT

On Thursday, President Trump repeated his attacks against mail balloting, saying it would lead to “the greatest rigged election in history” and “the greatest fraud ever perpetrated.”

At the same time, his own absentee ballot to vote in Florida’s primary election on Tuesday was en route to Mar-a-Lago. According to the Palm Beach County elections website, the president and first lady Melania Trump both requested absentee ballots on Wednesday.

Trump has voted absentee at least twice before. But his latest ballot request comes amid escalating attacks on mail-in voting by the president and his administration. On Thursday, Trump said that he opposes an emergency bailout for the U.S. Postal Service and election aid for states to restrict how many Americans can vote by mail.

White House Deputy Press Secretary Judd Deere told CNN that Trump is in favor of absentee voting but not universal mail-in voting.

The president has also argued that absentee ballots are substantially different from voting by mail.

“Absentee ballots, by the way, are fine,” Trump told reporters on Thursday. “But the universal mail-ins that are just sent all over the place, where people can grab them and grab stacks of them, and sign them and do whatever you want, that’s the thing we’re against.”

But election experts recently told The Washington Post that there is no real distinction between absentee ballots and voting by mail. The fact that the terms are often used interchangeably has confused some Republican voters — a concern for party leaders worried about low turnout this fall.

Trump has also claimed that Florida is uniquely qualified to handle mailed-in ballots, arguing that the state has the most experience with the process. But five states already conducted statewide elections through mail-in voting, even before the pandemic.

Trump previously voted absentee in Florida’s primary in March, despite being in the area at the time, and also voted absentee in New York in 2018. He attempted to vote absentee in 2017 in the New York mayoral election, but he listed the wrong birth date.

The Post found that 15 other Trump officials have also voted by mail. Attorney General William P. Barr, who has echoed Trump’s rhetoric against mail-in voting, voted absentee in 2019 and 2012 in Virginia. Vice President Pence voted absentee in 2018 for both the primary and general elections, and mailed a ballot for the 2020 Indiana GOP primary. Trump, the first lady, and Ivanka Trump were also previously caught filling out absentee applications incorrectly, adding credence to the idea that the system works to root out problems.

Whether you call it Vote by Mail or Absentee Voting, in Florida the election system is Safe and Secure, Tried and True. Florida’s Voting system has been cleaned up (we defeated Democrats attempts at change), so in Florida I encourage all to request a Ballot & Vote by Mail! #MAGA

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 4, 2020

Since March, Trump has made more than 80 attacks against the election’s integrity, often repeating unproven accusations that there have been widespread cases of vote fraud. In a tweet in late May, which Twitter labeled with a fact check and warning that the unsubstantiated claims “could confuse voters,” Trump said mail-in voting would be widespread chicanery, claiming that “Mail boxes will be robbed, ballots will be forged & even illegally printed out & fraudulently signed.”

With the novel coronavirus showing no signs of letting up by November, election officials from dozens of states have fought to make mail-in voting a viable alternative to going to polling stations, where there is a risk of transmitting the virus. According to a tracker from The Post, 76 percent of voters will be able to vote by mail.

But funding shortfalls for the U.S. Postal Service are now threatening the viability of voting by mail. In an interview with Fox Business on Thursday, Trump told host Maria Bartiromo that he opposed any deal with the Democrats that would help bail out the Postal Service.

“They need that money to make the post office work, so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots,” Trump said.

Democrats swiftly went after the president for the quotes, alleging that his attacks on mail-in ballots and Postal Service funding amount to an attempt to undermine the election. “The president is afraid of the American people,” said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). “He’s been afraid for a while. He knows that, on the legit, it’d be hard for him to win.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ge%2Fstory-ans

I have a question it is likely to be hard to make clear:

Obviously, it will be a lot of mail to mail ballots back and forth. But my question is: In the grand scheme of things, is this much mail going to drastically increase the amount of mail the post office deals with? People are mailing stuff all the time. My partner, who still pays all his bills by mail, has things going out almost every day. I do less, but still a good bit. So a related question: It would seem that Trump may have to cut back regular service a good bit to be able to affect the ballots. Is that so?

I may be just way out of the stream of what is happening on thinking of it this way. Living in a rural area, I have not noticed even a slight decrease in the promptness of mail getting to and from me. I wonder if there are places where the post office's cutbacks are having a real effect, and the ballots will be very seriously delayed, especially if Trump makes major cutbacks. I'm sure he'll try to delay them as much as possible.

Please clarify, if someone knows this situation. GH

Page 115 of 115 FirstFirst ... 156590105111112113114115