Agree Agree:  106
Likes Likes:  88
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Re: The Run to the WH

1. Intellectual
    2. Woman
    3. From Massachusetts

Kamala Harris seems to be doing much better...

Anyway usually under current economic circumstances a sitting president would coast to reelection. Trump is special, though.
    Roger forever

A few years ago, I was talking to an American friend and I mentioned Warren. He immediately stated "that woman is crazy! She has to be put in a straitjacket!"
    Guess what sector was he working in?

I went back home and a few days later, she was on the news. My GF, oblivious of who she was, was looking and I mentioned "this is the woman J says is crazy". She was surprised as Warren usually sounds anything but crazy.
    Warren's unpopularity, apart from the three spot on items mentioned by MJ, is that she is very keen on taxation and regulating Wall Street. And for some reason, a lot of people here think that if you regulate WS, the American system breaks down. I gather they are the people that thought that The Wolf Of Wall Street was a funny movie.
    Warren will not get the nomination. What MJ says plus she is completely hated by the GOP. Too smart for this country, I only wish the next Democratic president (2028) will tap her for advice on financial markets.
    By that time, it will be too late and this will be a banana republic (politics wise) but well, no need to try to foresee that far in the future.
    I give Tiny a solid 55% chance of re-election. But the GOP may lose the Senate and then impeachment procedures start in 2021. The GOP will block it, though.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 04-18-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    Starry starry night

Quoting Ponchi: "I give Tiny a solid 55% chance of re-election."

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but when I read this, I almost threw up. GH

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    What did Warren do to become so unpopular?
    I'm not sure that she did anything other than being a woman in politics with strong opinions - unfortunately.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

So this just popped up on my TL re Mayor Pete:

Michael Pepe
    ‏@Michael53067924

Replying to @JeremyAllenMoss @PeteButtigieg
    Is he really though? He switched late in life. I think he is a smart capable leader, and had the foresight that the Dem. Party wouldn’t nominate a white guy. I think he may have found a loophole!

Senator Jeremy Moss
    ‏Verified account
    @JeremyAllenMoss

More Senator Jeremy Moss Retweeted Michael Pepe
    Ah yes, the ol’ “switch to being gay to run for President at some point in the future” trick. Great sleuthing, Michael53067924.
    The string of numbers after the handle as well as the "pepe" name are dead giveaways that this is a troll/bot.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    So this just popped up on my TL re Mayor Pete:

Michael Pepe
    ‏@Michael53067924

Replying to @JeremyAllenMoss @PeteButtigieg
    Is he really though? He switched late in life. I think he is a smart capable leader, and had the foresight that the Dem. Party wouldn’t nominate a white guy. I think he may have found a loophole!

The string of numbers after the handle as well as the "pepe" name are dead giveaways that this is a troll/bot.
    Mayor Pete will charm the Russian Bots soon enough. Because, per the Onion:
    Pete Buttigieg Stuns Campaign Crowd By Speaking To Manufacturing Robots In Fluent Binary
    https://politics.theonion.com/pete-b...anu-1834117054
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Joe Biden officially announced.
    "One hot dog, two scoops of vanilla ice cream, water, no ice"
    ---0---
    As I have said, what you need. A totally non-controversial, safe, no issues president that will do the job in an insipid way. I just hope he would have the smarts for Kamala Harris as AG, Elizabeth Warren for Treasury, Buttigieg DoD and Gillibrand as VP.
    Starry starry night

Such guys very rarely win, but maybe this time...
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    ---0---
    As I have said, what you need. A totally non-controversial, safe, no issues president that will do the job in an insipid way. I just hope he would have the smarts for Kamala Harris as AG, Elizabeth Warren for Treasury, Buttigieg DoD and Gillibrand as VP.
    I'm reserving judgment until I watch him campaign, but my worry at this point is his enthusiasm for the job. And I also worry that the boilerplate candidate will not turn out the voters Dems need. I don't buy the theories that a centrist will have the broadest appeal and a white man is the safe bet. I don't think there's evidence that this is true. it's a hunch that gets repeated then believed then repeated even more, ad nauseum.

People will vote for the person they feel is most qualified for this moment (x) who moves them the most.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; Today at 09:46 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

CNN is doing power rankings for the Democratic nominees. Doesn't even seem to be based on polling.

This isn't sports. They need to stop it.

I really don't think that people have ever voted for the "most qualified" candidate, and I don't mean only in the USA.
    People vote with their guts. They vote with silly arguments like "he looks like the kind of person you can go out for a beer" (George Bush).
    And in the last election, to say that 62 million voted for an ass instead of one of the truly most qualified candidates in history would be stating the obvious.
    Starry starry night

Joe Biden might turn out to be a good leader if elected, but I fear he won't inspire voters. Clinton, Obama, Reagan, Trump all were inspiring choices. Maybe one could argue Bush was a milquetoast candidate, but even he had all that compassionate conservatism thing.
    Roger forever

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    ---0---
    I don't know that you can say he has no issues. Apparently he's too touchy-feely. There's a question of plagiarism in his past. And, of course, the big banana: the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearing.

However, I still think he's the country's best bet to beat Trump. He can bring in those white working class voters that voted for Trump in 2016.

Barring some kind of political earthquake in the Democratic primary race, VP Biden has my vote.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

TBH I think Biden is the only candidate who will be able to come in and clean up the mess that the toddler is making. He's worked with the Congress (former Senator) and with PBO did a lot of the heavy lifting there. He and Nancy together would be formidable. I'd like Warren for a Cabinet post as well. VP? Kamala Harris? I don't know. I'm still a Joaquin Castro fan so maybe him?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021