Agree Agree:  587
Likes Likes:  317
Page 88 of 103 FirstFirst ... 38637884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1540

Re: The Run to the WH

Bo Erickson CBS @BoKnowsNews

News: Sen. @amyklobuchar has officially been asked by
    @JoeBiden to undergo vetting to be considered for his VP, sources tell @CBSNews
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

The usual game... Obama played it too. Leak news of vetting all major candidates to show respect to different factions of the electorate. The actual pick might already be decided in Biden's mind or at least narrowed down to 2-3.
    Roger forever

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    The usual game... Obama played it too. Leak news of vetting all major candidates to show respect to different factions of the electorate. The actual pick might already be decided in Biden's mind or at least narrowed down to 2-3.
    It also gives other sources an opportunity to dig up dirt or make stuff up--and show a bit of their hand by revealing who frightens them most. (The ones they fear most will probably get the most salacious dirt.)

In house, it also gives you an opportunity to see how various factions within your party react to certain choices. E.g., how do they fare among Sanders supporters, how do they fare among women, how do they fare among working class voters, how do fare by race/ethnicity, etc.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

NYS being forced to hold a primary is interesting because I don't think most NY'ers are anxious to stand in line to vote.

Most poll workers are retired people trying to make a little extra money.

Even though Yang was the name on the challenge this is clearly something Sanders wanted. He's running a stealth campaign even though he said he's out and backing Biden.

Hard for me to be sure what is rumor vs. fact, but I also heard discussion that Gretchen Whitmer is being vetted. That is, of course, no surprise, and I would say that her performance in the pandemic, and now with the floods, is really giving her a national presence. I do think she would be good for Midwestern vote, also.

Does anyone know of any obvious negatives in her past? (I'm not counting standing up to Tiny as a negative)

GH

Again, just looking at small things. She has never held office outside of Michigan and this is her first term as Governor.
    But those are small details, and certainly nothing the GOP can attack given that Tiny had zero experience in government and zero experience in being successful at something without cheating. And I think she secures Michigan for Biden.
    So sure, she can do the job.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Every politician can and will be attacked by the opposition.

Something else to consider - do we think Mike Pence contributed anything in Trump winning or Tim Kaine in Clinton losing? I'd say no and if so why do we expect different outcome this time around?
    Roger forever

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Every politician can and will be attacked by the opposition.

Something else to consider - do we think Mike Pence contributed anything in Trump winning or Tim Kaine in Clinton losing? I'd say no and if so why do we expect different outcome this time around?
    I really liked and continue to like Tim Kaine but I don't think he contributed votes to the Clinton campaign when someone more exciting might have.

I do think Pence helped get the evangelicals who may have had doubts about Trump's religiousity to get into the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post

I do think Pence helped get the evangelicals who may have had doubts about Trump's religiousity to get into the fold.
    Completely. Pence got him the millions of lunatics' votes that thought that with Pence there, abortion and homosexuality would be banned from the land.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

I don't want excitement. I want competence. This election is really about the next eight years and maybe more. It will take a long time to fix the damage that's been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I don't want excitement. I want competence. This election is really about the next eight years and maybe more. It will take a long time to fix the damage that's been done.
    Certainly, but I believe the point being made is that excitement is what helps winning elections.
    Roger forever

Jeff Mason
    @jeffmason1
    Riding on the White House grounds.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1263862843985756160

Note: Axl Rose is anti Tiny

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I really liked and continue to like Tim Kaine but I don't think he contributed votes to the Clinton campaign when someone more exciting might have.

This is exactly the way I feel about the VP picks last time. Tim Kaine was/is very vanilla (though totally competent). I don't think his choice helped at all. And I think Pence helped exactly as mmmm8 says.

And by the way, given the VERY small margin of victory in those 3 key states, I think this is yet another thing that, done differently, might have made the difference. A much more charismatic VP choice might have only brought Hillary a few votes, but a few was all she needed.

GH

Biden vetting rumors are circulating. Here are the VP finalists we see.

By The Ranking Committee May 22 at 8:57 AM

The Commentary

In some ways, the least significant aspect of Biden’s choice of a running mate is figuring out who is most likely to help him win in November. Far more important is the question of who can best help him govern — and who is most qualified to take over as president herself.

Biden would be the oldest president ever to take office, and he has not discouraged speculation that he would serve only one term. Should he be elected this fall, whoever he picks as VP would automatically be in the lead position to become this nation’s first female president. And even if Biden loses, his running mate could emerge as the most influential figure in determining the Democrats’ next moves.

Biden understands all this. He also knows that his own résumé was the main reason he got the nod from Barack Obama in 2008. Biden was on the ticket to answer qualms that a freshman senator wasn’t prepared to handle the presidency.

So who will be Biden’s Biden? There are talented political newcomers out there, notably Stacey Abrams, but my hunch is that experience will once again be the Democratic nominee’s overriding consideration.

Most obvious among the leading contenders are the three female senators who opposed him in the primaries. Biden’s heart probably leads him toward Amy Klobuchar. (It’s now known that Klobuchar has been asked to undergo the vetting process, and it would be surprising if she weren't.) But Biden also faces significant pressure to pick an African American, which gives Kamala D. Harris an edge. Selecting Elizabeth Warren would excite the party’s progressive base.

In the early handicapping, I don’t think the governors are being talked about as much as they should be. As a group, their political stock has skyrocketed during the pandemic. I’ve written before why Gretchen Whitmer (Mich.) should be on Biden’s shortlist. But she is not even halfway through her first term, and she cannot afford to be distracted from her day job now, given Michigan’s covid-19 toll. Rhode Island’s well-regarded Gina Raimondo would also be a solid pick. But if Biden goes looking outside the Senate, keep your eye on New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham.

— Karen Tumulty

The Ranking

Don’t forget to click on the chart’s yellow highlighted text to see the rest of the Ranking Committee’s annotations. (Click Link Below)

POSITION POTENTIAL VP CHANGE OVER LAST VP RANKING
    1. Kamala D. Harris —
    2. Amy Klobuchar DOWN 1
    3. Elizabeth Warren UP 5
    4. Gretchen Whitmer UP 1
    5. Tammy Duckworth UP 4
    6. Val Demings ADDS TO RANKING
    7. Stacey Abrams DOWN 4
    8. Michelle Lujan Grisham DOWN 4
    9. Tammy Baldwin UP 1
    10. Gina Raimondo ADDS TO RANKING
    Falls off ranking: Catherine Cortez-Masto, Cory Booker, Maggie Hassan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...e/?arc404=true

This is the vice president who would restore adult supervision in Washington
    By
    George F. Will
    Columnist
    May 22, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. EDT
    The smallest state has the smallest governor. Rhode Island’s Gina Raimondo is almost 5 feet 3 inches, about an inch shorter than James Madison. What was said of him is true of her: There is a high ratio of mind to mass. Unfortunately, a perversity of today’s political culture is that those with the most time and inclination for full-time self-promotion, such as U.S. senators, eclipse those, such as governors, who are preoccupied with serious responsibilities.

After Harvard (where she played rugby), Oxford (she was a Rhodes Scholar) and Yale Law School, she was an early recruit to a venture capital company whose premise was, she says, that “you could find talent all over the country,” not just in hotbeds such as Austin and Silicon Valley. Then she founded an affiliated fund specializing in health care. “My mother actually started crying” when, in 2010, Raimondo ran to be treasurer of the state with the nation’s highest per capita unfunded pension debt.

Pensions, which soon would have swallowed 20 percent of state revenue, were threatening to starve social services. Including the Providence Public Library, where Raimondo’s grandfather, who, arriving from Italy at 14 with little education and less English, studied to improve his chances. As state treasurer, she told “crowded, angry union halls” that cities and towns might go bankrupt and that promised pensions would disappear. Her reforms — pausing cost-of-living increases, raising the retirement age and the ratio of defined contribution to defined benefit plans — passed Rhode Island’s House 57-15 and the Senate 35-2.

When she ran for governor, Rhode Island had the nation’s highest unemployment rate. The state had been the nation’s — arguably, the world’s — jewelry workshop, until much of the manufacturing decamped to China. The exodus included the Bulova watch company, which had employed 1,000, including her father, who became unemployed at 56. She wears a Bulova on her wrist but says that the main reason she ran for governor was that previous administrations had not repositioned Rhode Island for a changed world. She has done this by entrepreneurial federalism — making the state attractive to business, including the nation’s first offshore wind farm.

Raimondo has cut taxes every year and removed 8,000 pages of regulations — 30 percent of the state’s regulations. Economic dynamism has enabled her to raise the state minimum wage to $11.50, create a sick leave entitlement and finance the largest infrastructure program in the state’s history. Thanks to the G.I. Bill, her father, the son of a meat cutter, became the first in the family to go to college, and his daughter has delivered tuition-free community college.

Partnering with CVS, the nation’s largest pharmacy chain, headquartered in Woonsocket, her state has achieved one of the nation’s highest per capita levels of testing for covid-19. Her approval rating has soared during the pandemic. An anxious nation longing for competence in the national government might turn its lonely eyes to her, if it knew of her.

There often is, however, a disproportion in the allocation of media attention to political figures: an inverse relationship between a political person’s substantive achievements and the froth of publicity surrounding her or him. The Senate, the incubator of presidential aspirations, is an arena for the gesture politics of virtue signaling. It encourages the misapprehension that striking poses solves problems, and it develops no skills germane to the executive tasks of managing vast organizations and applying aspirational statutes to recalcitrant reality.

Joe Biden’s choice of a running mate will matter to the electorate’s large moderate majority more than such choices usually do, for two reasons. Biden will be 78 on Jan. 20, 2021. And his choice will indicate whether the trajectory of the world’s oldest party will be determined by its left-wing minority that strenuously opposed his nomination, or by the party’s temperate majority, which produced the Democrats’ 2018 success.

The Democratic left, with its addiction to indignation and its aversion to practical politics, might recoil from Raimondo because she understands the enormous financial sector of a nation now chin-deep in red ink. And because she had the impertinence to persuade crucial Democratic constituencies — public employees unions, including those of teachers — to support difficult choices. After defeating a left-wing primary challenger by 24 points, she was resoundingly reelected in one of the nation’s bluest states, and then became chair of the Democratic Governors Association.

A Biden-Raimondo ticket would achieve the left’s primary goal, the removal of Donald Trump. And the resulting administration would restore adult supervision in Washington.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...35f_story.html

Page 88 of 103 FirstFirst ... 38637884858687888990919298 ... LastLast