Agree Agree:  587
Likes Likes:  317
Page 92 of 103 FirstFirst ... 426782888990919293949596102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1540

Re: The Run to the WH

With the events of this week, I agree that Klobuchar should be off the list. Somehow, I'm not seeing Elizabeth Warren as being as likely to be picked as some of these people are. She is from a very safe state for Democrats, and I think there are people who would be more effective nationwide. Of course, I could be very wrong. GH

I know that Massachusetts is a safe state but I retain my point. The real good position for Warren would be either Treasury or Commerce. Let he go after regulating Wall Street, and then breaking up all of those oligopolies.
    You let know she will have that role in the next administration and that brings you her followers. That is what they want her to do.
    (I would drink to her if she breaks up Amazon, Google, MS, Apple, FB and Twitter. As T. Roosevelt did with Standard Oil).
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Massachusetts is safe, but it's unclear what would happen to the Senate seat before a special election happened. The governor, Charlie Baker (a moderate Republican) would appoint a replacement. Would he appoint a Republican or a Democrat? I don't know. And it would be a bigger deal if she didn't vacate the seat in time to have the special election on the ballot in November.
    Go Pack Go!

I think the opinion expressed in that blog is a valid one, hard to imagine now it being someone not on that list. I don't think Biden is the kind of guy who'll go for Sarah Palin like surprise.
    Roger forever

From her personal not her Senate account:

Andrea Mitchell
    @mitchellreports
    On police brutality cases during @amyklobuchar tenure as Hennepin County Attorney: "This idea that I somehow declined a case which has been reported on some news blogs & then sent out on the internet against this officer is absolutely false. It is a lie." #AMRstaff

.@amyklobuchar
    : "We did not blow off these cases. We brought them to a grand jury, presented the evidence for a potential criminal prosecution, and the grand jury would come back with the decision. That is how we handled the cases." #AMRstaff

.@amyklobuchar said she called for large scale investigation of what's been going on at Minneapolis Police Dept. "I have called for that from the Justice Department so that there can be fundamental systematic changes so we do not see this kind of racism in the future." #AMRstaff

On police brutality cases during
    @amyklobuchar tenure as Hennepin County Attorney: "...The case was investigated. That investigation continued into a time where I was already sworn into the US Senate. I never declined the case. It was handled & sent to the grand jury." #AMRstaff

.@amyklobuchar
    : "I have said repeatedly when I was county attorney, cases we had involving officer-involved shootings went to a grand jury-I think that was wrong, now. It would have been much better if I took responsibility & looked at cases & made a decision myself." #AMRstaff

A defense:

Andy McCarthy
    @AndrewCMcCarthy
    ·54m So the incident happened on Oct 2006, just weeks before @amyklobuchar
    was elected to Senate. Then after she was in Senate and no longer the prosecutor, a grand jury voted not to indict ... and that's somehow her fault? https://news.yahoo.com/amy-klobuchar...183728902.html

To quote Paul Simon:

"You know the nearer your destination The more you're slip slidin' away"
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

One person that no one has here has mentioned is Susan Rice, but she is generating some noise in some some circles. The Atlantic just came out with a story on her: The VP choice everyone is missing.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Rice has shown up on my "person to follow" sidebar on Twitter. She's an interesting choice.

Some are saying this should be his campaign slogan.

Joe Biden @JoeBiden·3h
    Enough.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Togtdyalttai View Post
    Ponchi went through the female senators yesterday, and I wanted to say that Jeanne Shaheen (https://boston.cbslocal.com/video/45...for-bidens-vp/), who does have a cool name, and Catherine Cortez Masto (https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...eration-287923) have taken themselves out of the running. Mazie Hirono wasn't born in the US and so isn't eligible.

In addition, I agree that Sinema, Feinstein, Stabenow, Smith, Rosen, Gillibrand, Cantwell, and Murray have basically no chance of being chosen. That leaves Hassan (I realize this is an extreme longshot but New Hampshire is a swing state), Duckworth, Baldwin, Klobuchar, Warren, and Harris in addition to all of the non-senators.

Hirono and Duckworth are in the same spot in terms of eligibility. Both were born abroad to parents one of whom was a US citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Unless everything the Biden campaign has been putting off is a misdirect, they are choosing between a party-unifying progressive (probably Elizabeth Warren), a Midwestern centrist (probably Gretchen Whitmer), and someone who will excite the black community (probably Kamala Harris or Val Demings).
    I feel like Biden's entire candidacy and campaign is based on hitting a single instead of a home run.

With that in mind, I don't think he chooses Warren or Harris, because it would give either a huge leg up on being the next President. That makes the Biden ticket scarier for hesitant independents, and nauseated republicans who might stay home.

I understand your baseball metaphor. So go for it. Be Ichiro Suzuki. Don't try to to be Hank Aaron.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I have not said much about the VP discussion.

Biden cannot pick anyone from the Senate. Democrats need every seat they can get. The same goes for cabinet posts. There are zillions of other people who can fill those cabinet positions besides Senate Democrats. No seats in the Senate can be spared.

Susan Rice is an interesting choice. My immediate, visceral reaction was "Aw, hell no!" But I'm rethinking that.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I understand your baseball metaphor. So go for it. Be Ichiro Suzuki. Don't try to to be Hank Aaron.
    Hank only hit .006 lower than Suzuki for his career. So let's go with Mark McGwire or Reggie Jackson who hit in the .260s
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    If you prefer, we can get tennis specific!

Has anyone ever heard of the tennis match with the highest percentage of first serves ever? It was two women, perhaps on clay in the 70s/80s, and one of them made every single first serve in the match. The other made all but one. It was something like 74/74 and 66/67 first serves in. Joe Biden is one of those first serves.

(If someone asks for a curling metaphor, so help me...)

I've seen curling matches with Anna Hasselborg (the Swedish skip/superstar in the sport/Olympic-and-everything-else gold medalist) where she shot 100%. That means that the official subjectively determining whether each of her shots did exactly what it was supposed to do said that all of them did exactly that. (by the way, this is a statistic that has absolutely no bearing on the final score, just like first-serve percentage, though in curling, your team is going to do VERY well if you, as skip, shoot the last stones and you shoot 100%).

Couldn't resist providing the curling metaphor, since you mentioned it. GH

Page 92 of 103 FirstFirst ... 426782888990919293949596102 ... LastLast