Agree Agree:  206
Likes Likes:  133
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13283435363738

Re: The Run to the WH

Part 2

POLICE PAYMENT CATCH-22?

Cities hosting presidential candidates say securing many presidential candidate rallies, such as those conducted by most 2020 Democratic candidates, is a matter of overall community safety. Many are relatively modest affairs that don’t carry excessive cost.

Trump rallies are an entirely different matter.

When Trump visits a city to stage a “Make America Great Again” rally, often cash-strapped city governments have little choice but to provide whatever public safety resources the U.S. Secret Service requests of them.

The requirements are often significant — street closures, security perimeters, the paid time of dozens of law enforcement officers — because unlike most official presidential visits, political rallies attract thousands, if not tens of thousands of people.

The president’s campaign political events have also earned a reputation for rowdiness, even violence. Protestors have thrown and received punches, journalists have been threatened — even Trump himself has been targeted.

Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania concluded that cities hosting Trump rallies during the 2016 presidential campaign on average experienced 2.3 more assaults than they would expect on a typical day — an increase not associated with his opponent Hillary Clinton’s campaign rallies during the same time period.

But the Secret Service doesn’t reimburse municipal governments for their assistance during presidential campaign events.

Why? Blame Congress.

The Secret Service, spokesman Jeffrey Adams said, is not funded to reimburse local police, “and we don’t have a mechanism to do so.”

Local officials are therefore left to bill presidential campaigns in the hope they’ll pay because it’s their ethical or moral duty. While a few cities have flirted with suing presidential candidates for nonpayment, they’ve concluded legal action would be more aggravation than it’s worth.

Some presidential candidates do pay, as the Center for Public Integrity noted in a 2017 report on presidential candidates and police bills.

For example, Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, meticulously paid police bills during his run for president in 2016, with then-spokeswoman Catherine Frazier explaining that Cruz put a “a high value on running an organized campaign.” Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign appears to have paid most bills, although federal records provide no evidence that the Clinton campaign ever paid one known bill from Philadelphia.

President Barack Obama’s campaign committee did not always pay municipal police bills when local governments wanted, and in at least one reported case, ignored a large bill, arguing that it wasn’t responsible for the costs. Obama’s campaign committee officially shut down in July 2018 without reporting any remaining debt. Federal records do indicate that Obama’s campaign paid some local government entities — from the City of Hollywood, Florida, to the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police — for “security” costs over the years.

Others never pay. Numerous city officials told the Center for Public Integrity that, over the years, they’ve billed both Democratic and Republican candidates for police costs only to be ignored.

So why don’t cash-strapped city governments protest by denying candidates such as Trump police protection?

Trump rallies draw big crowds, for one: Revelers fill hotels, pack restaurants, purchase sundries and drink watering holes dry. Then there’s the unquantifiable luster that comes with a commander in chief visiting town.

There are also a darker reasons not to keep cops away from campaign events, particularly ones involving the commander in chief.

“Most [police] chiefs will remind their officials how long it took Dallas to not be known as the place where the president was assassinated,” said Myers of the Major Cities Chiefs Association.

WHAT ABOUT THE DEMOCRATS?

Among 2020 Democratic presidential candidates, Sen. Bernie Sanders has the most checkered history when it comes to paying cities’ police bills.

During his 2016 presidential run, Sanders’ campaign at one point refused to pay campaign event-related public safety bills from 23 different local governments and law enforcement agencies.

Total tab: more than $449,000.

Sanders’ then-campaign attorney Brad Deutsch explained the campaign’s refusal to pay in a September 2016 letter to the city attorney of Tucson, Arizona, where Sanders had conducted a campaign event in March 2016.

“The Campaign did not contract for, not did it request or arrange for the Tucson Police Department to provide public safety at the Campaign event,” Deutsch wrote. “The level of security or public safety requirements anticipated for any particular event were not dictated by the campaign.”

But as Sanders mulled another run for president, his 2016 campaign committee began quietly paying its public safety bills, according to Federal Election Commission records.

Sanders spokeswoman Arianna Jones told the Center for Public Integrity in October 2017 that the campaign would work with municipal government to “amicably resolve these matters” even if the campaign wasn’t “legally responsible” for event security costs.

It made its final payment — more than $22,000 to the Solano County Sheriff’s Office in California — on Sept. 15, 2018.

Now, as Sanders is running second or third behind former Vice President Joe Biden in most major Democratic presidential primary polls, Sanders’ current presidential campaign won’t say whether it would pay all public safety bills it received from local governments.

“We pay all costs for police support we ask for or agree to as a condition of the permit at a particular venue,” Sanders spokeswoman Sarah Ford said.

That’s more than Biden would say about paying police bills.

Reached by phone, Daniel McCarthy, Biden’s chief operations officer and chief financial officer, declined to comment, and Biden press officials didn’t respond to several requests for comment. (Prior to announcing his presidential run, Biden personally campaigned in November for Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, D-N.D., and Heitkamp’s campaign paid a City of Fargo police bill associated with the event, city spokesman Gregg Schildberger confirmed.)

Several other Democratic presidential campaigns also didn’t respond to multiple inquiries, including that of Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, whose 2018 U.S. Senate campaign described her as “always supporting law enforcement.”
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Part 3

But like O’Rourke’s campaign paying its police bill in El Paso, a few Democratic candidates have already spent precious campaign dollars on police bills, municipal records indicate. Others — including Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., who’s rising in recent polls — tell the Center for Public Integrity that they’ll definitely pay if municipal governments send them public safety bills.

Take Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey. His presidential committee racked up $50,400 in fees — mostly police overtime — associated with his campaign kickoff rally April 13 in Newark, New Jersey, where Booker used to serve as mayor.

Booker’s campaign paid the bill on May 2, according to a deposit document from Newark’s Revenue Collection Division.

“Cory 2020 believes we should always pay the bills for police or public safety expenses,” Booker spokeswoman Sabrina Singh said, adding that it’s “wrong that the Trump campaign has not paid bills for his MAGA rallies. The campaign should pay these bills immediately.”

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., received a public safety expense invoice for $187,327.87 following her massive campaign kickoff rally — an estimated 20,000 people attended — on Jan. 27 in Oakland, California.

The invoice due date: April 13. As of this week, the Harris campaign had paid Oakland $65,000, with a remaining balance of $122,327.87 due by next week, Oakland city government spokeswoman Karen Boyd confirmed.

Harris spokeswoman Kate Walters said the campaign is working with Oakland to “square away any outstanding costs.”

Two city leaders running for president — Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana, and Mayor Wayne Messam of Miramar, Florida — also vowed that their campaigns would pay whatever police bills their campaigns receive.

Said Buttigieg spokesman Chris Meagher: “As a mayor, Pete knows that local government makes things work, and it’s important that they get reimbursed for the work done to keep the public safe.”

POTENTIAL LEGAL TROUBLE

Regardless of whether presidential campaigns believe they should pay public safety bills that city governments send them, federal election law states this much: “A political committee shall report a disputed debt … if the creditor has provided something of value to the political committee.”

In its mandatory campaign finance reports filed with the Federal Election Commission, Trump’s campaign committee has not reported debts to municipal governments or police departments. Nor has it disclosed the debts in federal filings as “disputed debts” — something the Sanders 2016 presidential campaign did while initially refusing to pay its police bills.

Several election law lawyers asserted that Trump’s campaign is therefore likely violating federal campaign finance laws.

“It’s hard to argue that public safety services to the campaign is not something of value to the political committee,” said Erin Chlopak, director of campaign finance strategy for the nonpartisan Campaign Legal Center and former FEC assistant general counsel.

The bipartisan FEC, whose four remaining commissioners often deadlock on high-profile political issues, could conceivably itself investigate Trump’s campaign if it believed the campaign wasn’t properly disclosing disputed debts. A third party could file a complaint against the Trump campaign with the FEC, forcing the issue.

Furthermore, a campaign committee may consider requesting an advisory opinion from the commission “for activities or scenarios for which there is not clear legal guidance,” FEC spokeswoman Judith Ingram said.

Congress could also involve itself. House Democrats in particular have deluged Trump and his administration with various oversight requests.

“It’s outrageous that the president is leaving local municipal governments to foot the bill for his excessive political campaign events,” said Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif., chairwoman of the Committee on House Administration. “The American taxpayers deserve to know to what extent they are subsidizing the president’s political activities.”

In the meantime, presidential campaign rallies — and the police presence surrounding them — are all but destined to be larger and more frequent ahead of the nation’s first presidential caucus in Iowa and primary in New Hampshire.

Trump, who officially filed for re-election on the day of his inauguration, is scheduled to next week conduct what could be one of his biggest political rallies yet. It’s slated to serve as a ceremonial campaign kick-off extravaganza at the Amway Center — stated capacity of 18,500 — in Orlando, Florida.

And, according to the Orlando Sentinel, the city is requiring Trump’s campaign to pay up front.

The moral of the story for cities who want presidential candidates to help pay for their visits?

“Treat the political committee just like you would any private sector event promoter,” said Brett Kappel, a government affairs and public policy partner at the Akerman LLP law firm. “Get it in writing.”

https://publicintegrity.org/federal-...-maga-rallies/
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

ProgressOhio
    @ProgressOhio

Trump has been sinking time and $$$ into Ohio for months.

The results of this
    @ppppolls
    &
    @innovationohio
    poll help to explain why -

47-48% - Trump vs. Generic Democrat
    46-48% - Trump vs. Biden
    47-47% - Trump vs. Warren/Sanders

#AskMeAboutOhio

http://innovationohio.org/2019/10/14...eric-democrat/

― Frank Zappa

What’s keeping Trump’s base in place? Strategic Racism
    October 13, 2019 at 11:09 am

by LOLGOP

Despite his relentless efforts to screw anyone who isn’t a billionaire and betray the nation in general, Donald Trump’s appeal to his shrinking party remains durable and inexplicable to many rational minds.

Still, you can’t help but wonder where it comes from and how to undermine it enough so this monster can’t be reelected with the 46% or so of the electorate he carried in 2016. This explains why it’s hard to log on without hearing someone say something like “If Nixon had Fox News, he’d still be president!”

It’s true that Fox helps. And so does The New York Times, as you’ve heard Sarah Kendzior explain.

But 45 knows what drove him into office and makes many of his hard-core supporters so loyal — and it’s the same thing that has help make the Republican news channel a near-religion for millions of Barcalounger-bound Americans: Strategic Racism.

And he is making this infectious evil the cornerstone of his impeachment defense and his reelection campaign.

“Trump’s hostility to refugees moves back to the center of his political rhetoric,” Philip Bump wrote, earning his brown belt in subtlety.

Watch what that “hostility” looks like, if you can stand it.

Trump vows to crack down on Somali refugees in a city with one of the largest Somali populations in the country pic.twitter.com/xXM3pffCef

— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) October 11, 2019
    Trump’s spew of bottomless hate for refugees — even as his businesses continue to employee foreign workers who will never be as vetted as well as refugees are — was reminiscent of a Klan rally in every way, except that it was televised internationally and presided over by the president of the United States.

If you’ve read Ian Haney López’s Merge Left, you know exactly what Trump is up to here. He not only is unafraid of inviting charges of racism. He’s inviting them.

Why?

From my USA TODAY piece about Merge Left:

Because then you’re not pointing out how he’s ripping you off, threatening human survival and crushing jobs.

Instead, you’re strengthening his basic story line. Trump wants voters to go to the polls believing that America is locked in a cage fight between warring racial groups: “Who is the real racist, the person warning about illegal immigrants or the person saying that’s racist?” When that’s the debate, Trump wins.
    In response to Trump’s most recent hate rally, Haney López tweeted:

Between the attacks on Ilhan Omar for an incestuous marriage and his description of Biden as popular only because he kisses Obama’s ass, Trump’s dog whistling is back in full force. It’s not his sole response to impeachment, but it will be his primary retort.
    (...)

We have to face what Trump is good at — and it’s the same thing that Fox is good at — making racism seem practical and necessary.

We may want to assume that everyone sees through his racist lies but Haney López research shows that’s not true. Even majorities of Democrats and people of color view messages about “terrorist countries,” “criminal gangs,” “illegal immigration” and needing to “take care of our own people first” as commonsense and convincing.

https://www.eclectablog.com/2019/10/...Z9wU5k.twitter

― Frank Zappa

Strategic racism? Wonder how it differs from a garden variety kind...
    Roger forever

I know that I have made no secret of the fact that I want a woman to be elected president in 2020. I feel strongly that old white men (of which I very much am one) have had plenty of time to screw things up. I don't have very much against either of the 2 obvious Democratic candidates that fit this bill....Biden and Sanders......but I strongly would prefer to see a woman. I hope I'm going to be around for a lot more years, but I really want to see how a progressive woman would run this country, and I think now is the time. So, with her being in the lead, or about tied for it in some polls, I am starting to pull for Elizabeth Warren. I would like for the ticket to be either Warren/Harris or Warren/Klobuchar. I want to emphasize that I will be pulling very hard for the person who comes out as the Democratic nominee, regardless of who it is, since I think every one of them is in another galaxy when it comes to fitness for the office compared to who we have.

GH

Only problem with Warren:
    She is loathed by the right. And the financial sector. And white males.
    Plus she is too smart and I don't know who she will be able to handle the toddler in a debate, where he successfully lowers the debate to a potty slinging contest.
    Other than that, were I an American, sure, she gets my vote.
    Last edited by ponchi101; Yesterday at 08:10 AM.
    Missing winter...

The only way Warren can possibly win is a Carter like scenario, in which Trump is removed from office, which isn’t likely to happen.

My problem is......I understand completely the wisdom of what both of you are saying. I wish I thought you were both totally wrong.

GH

Glenn I'm glad you put Klobuchar on your fantasy ticket. I think she's smart - not as smart as Sen Warren - but she could make it easier for a lot of folks in the Mid West to vote for a Democratic ticket.

I listen to Slate Money every weekend and saying that the financial sector loathes Warren is putting it mildly. It's been mentioned several times by Anna Szymanski. Whether we like it or not that is a big obstacle for her.

I would love to see Warren/Castro but that isn't going to happen either.

Still, whoever makes up the Democratic ticket will have my vote.

(I still think Biden will top the ticket)

― Frank Zappa

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I liked Mayor Pete last night. He is both bold and a realist. Excellent combination.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I think Warren will win this. Her running mate needs to be conventional (much younger straight man) and I don't think she'll chose any of her current competitors.
    Roger forever

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13283435363738