Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  3

2019 AO SKAN Contest

Hey all -

FYI the SKAN is fully operational. Ace redeveloped the site and migrated all the data but it's all good to go, so check it out and check in your team! Let's make 2019 the Year of the SKAN!

Never entered before? No problem. Just know that success depends on the strategic compositon of your team. Here's how it works:

1. pick 3 ATP whose total sum of their CURRENT RANKINGS > 14
    2. same for WTA: 3 players whose sum of CURRENT RANKINGS > 14
    3. place your six players in order from 1 to 6
    4. give your team an innovative name [optional]
    5. recruit some cheerleaders [optional]
    6. watch the carnage unfold

To Enter:

Try copy/paste the following URL ...

http://tennisgamers.com/board/slams/skanteam_submit.php?t_name=2019_AO_SkanCanTest&sid =8b931b242dbffa273b72162d1f819d73

Otherwise, go to the host site

http://tennisgamers.com/board/index.php

hover over the "Tennis" drop down menu and choose Skan Teams
    Click on View Team and go from there

Let me know if you have any problems and we'll figure it out! If necessary post your entry in this thread and I'll upload it for you.

Many thanks to the TAT mods for letting me to post this here as an "Outside Contest"

BTW the site has a range of support features that help to track the results as the tournament unfolds.

Rankings are live, changing as match results are posted; however, the site also preserves the rankings on a round-to-round basis. Rankings are posted in four groups: the top 10, and three evenly divided tiers of contestants in descending rank order. The tier titles change from round to round and are thematically constructed, e.g.

1. Great White Sharks [top 10]
    2. Saltwater Crocodiles
    3. Dwarf Wallabies
    4. Duck-Billed Platypusses

The leader after each round has the opportunity to name the tiers for the next round [but they have to take the initiative on this by contacting me right away]. This is the yellow jersey honor.

NERD CENTRE

Scoring is a bit complex, at least mathematically. But conceptually, it's simple. Your team earns points in three categories:

1. Victory: if a player on your team wins a match you get points
    2. Quality: if a player on your team beats a player ranked in the top 32, you get points
    3. Domination: you get points for how thoroughly a player on your teams beats their opponent; conversely, you lose points depending on how badly your player loses

The scoring algorithm also adjusts for the fact that men play best 3 out of 5 while the women play best 2 out of 3.

That's the drill. All that's left is to get cracking!!

Best wishes to all contestants !!!

PeterSkan
    Last edited by PeterSkan; 01-12-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

Re: 2019 AO SKAN Contest

Note - I edited the OP to reflect the following entry protocol:

To Enter:

Try copy/paste the following URL ...

http://tennisgamers.com/board/slams/...kanCanTest&sid=8b931b242dbffa273b72162d1f819d73

Otherwise, go to the host site

http://tennisgamers.com/board/index.php

hover over the "Tennis" drop down menu and choose Skan Teams
    Click on View Team and go from there

Let me know if you have any problems and we'll figure it out! If necessary post your entry in this thread and I'll upload it for you.
    Last edited by PeterSkan; 01-12-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    TIHBS TIHBW

Wow - the PDF draw on the AO site really sucks. Don't bother searching for your magnifying glass - go here instead:

https://fogmountaintennis.wordpress.com/draws-oops/
    TIHBS TIHBW

This one saved the tournament
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

27 teams - but time is running out. Don't get caught by the time difference. Enter while you can ...
    TIHBS TIHBW

43 teams ... keep 'em coming!
    TIHBS TIHBW

58 teams and counting ...
    TIHBS TIHBW

And there went my chances for a top 50 finish!! GH

68 teams. Nice! Good luck everyone!
    TIHBS TIHBW

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Ace Blackjack Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion Woody's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's my bad for not paying attention to news in the off season, but I'm just wondering why Del Potro was on the seeds pick list if he had withdrawn a while back. Doesn't the contest list the seeds actually in the tournament?

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Nope, and it never has that I remember. It lists all players by rankings, playing or not.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Nope, and it never has that I remember. It lists all players by rankings, playing or not.
    At some point in the fairly recent past ... I'm thinking a year or year and a half ago ... I brought this up again with Ace and the compromise solution was to highlight in some way [I think coloured font] the ranked players who were not participating due to injury or other circumstances. Looks like this feature did not carry over to the new site. There are a few things still to straighten out. Given that Ace has been quite ill, I'm pleased he was able to get the contest standings to present in descending ranked order.
    TIHBS TIHBW

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Ace Blackjack Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion Woody's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ahh, that explains why I never screwed up in the past. All good.
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

There were several entries from another site that apparently were overlooked initially, so the total is 78 teams. Pretty decent! There are still several features on the new host site that aren't quite there, but the basics are in place.

Round 1 Snapshot

66 of 78 teams survived Round 1 fully intact [good for 60 Victory pts].
    Only 19 points separate 1st and 10th place
    Unusually, several posters earned Q points in Round 1 [for Berdych and for Venus]
    Leader was Tenedab [313 pts], followed by skytennis [306 pts] and LewisCarroll [304 pts]
    Good old RandomSkan notched in at 73rd place

Round 2 Snapshot

53 of 78 teams have survived Round 2 fully intact [good for 180 accumulative Victory pts].
    Only 36 points separate 1st and 10th place
    skytennis moves to top spot [639 pts], followed by long-time contestant nadals [632 pts] and LewisCarroll stays in 3rd [628 pts]
    Mighty RandomSkan falls to 75th place
    TIHBS TIHBW