Agree Agree:  18
Likes Likes:  13
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement

From one side I agree with Ti-Amie, but on the other hand there are also examples of young players winning early, winning often and never looking back...
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    From one side I agree with Ti-Amie, but on the other hand there are also examples of young players winning early, winning often and never looking back...
    Yep, it depends on the individual. In some cases, early success can validate worst impulses or misguided ideas. Whether that's happening with Alona, I don't know, but it falls in line with the little I have heard about her. I sympathize with the resistance to changing one's game. For me, the way I play tennis is an extension of my identity. It's a two-way street, too - expression and self-discovery. I want to find the best version of my game, hopefully a winning version, but I don't think about winning very much, and in the process, I learn what's important to me. I've wondered if pros feel the same way. I can imagine that certain young people wouldn't understand the complexity of this internal dynamic. In other words, tennis, so individualized and stylized, can eff you up, and it can take time and maturity to sort it out.

Done hijacking the thread.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

The thing is that Murray can do to Alona what Lendl (I think) did to him: "You? You haven't won squat. When you win 8 slams like me, then you can act up"
    Murray can tell Alona to shut up. He has the clout. All her other coaches simply could not even say they had reached the semis.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    The thing is that Murray can do to Alona what Lendl (I think) did to him: "You? You haven't won squat. When you win 8 slams like me, then you can act up"
    Murray can tell Alona to shut up. He has the clout. All her other coaches simply could not even say they had reached the semis.
    They just seem like two people who don't know the other exists.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234