Agree Agree:  18
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Andy Murray Announces Retirement

I don't have a link to the announcement, but apparently Andy Murray has announced that he will play the Australian Open, and is hoping to retire (meaning he hopes he can hang in that long) at Wimbledon this year. (re: David Law on twitter, and thanks to Moose for the tip on Facebook)

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

Saw the Murray story on ESPN ticker coming in as breaking news
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    I don't have a link to the announcement, but apparently Andy Murray has announced that he will play the Australian Open, and is hoping to retire (meaning he hopes he can hang in that long) at Wimbledon this year. (re: David Law on twitter, and thanks to Moose for the tip on Facebook)
    Very sad. I think a healthy Murray had a couple more Slams in him. The game just isn't fair sometimes.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    And so it begins - the end of the Big Four era. So sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Murray's on court persona was not my cup of tea. Off court he spoke up for women and seemed to always be on the right side of tennis issues (from my perspective).

I will miss him.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Oh god, that was way more devastating than I even imagined. This really sucks. I mean, millions of dollars in the bank notwithstanding, it's so difficult to have focused your whole existence on this one thing and now that thing is taken away from you painfully, prematurely and without closure (presumably - I mean it would be something if he now wins Wimbledon but that doesn't seem possible). He's got to be grieving.
    Last edited by munchin; 01-10-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    That was painful just to read. Brought a tear to my eye. Can't imagine the physical pain he is in along with mental. I'm sure at some point he'll feel proud that he did absolutely everything possible to continue to play but for the moment he must be just gutted.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

Murray's on court persona was not my cup of tea. Off court he spoke up for women and seemed to always be on the right side of tennis issues (from my perspective).

I will miss him.
    Exactly. His on- and off-court behaviours were rather paradoxical.

Andy Murray Announces Retirement

I figured this deserves its own thread.

Andy Murry has announced his plans to retire after Wimbledon, and maybe even sooner if the pain in his hip is too much to bear. He said he came to the decision last month during training.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/i...-tennis-future

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Andy Murray said Friday he plans to retire after Wimbledon because of his right hip injury -- if he can keep playing beyond this month's Australian Open.
    In an emotional news conference at Melbourne Park, the 31-year-old former world No. 1 said the pain had become too much to bear and that he had made the decision last month during his training camp.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Oops, just seeing this was already posted in here, so mods feel free to delete the thread I made if you want.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement

Hope I have access to the BBC when he works Wimbledon next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Oops, just seeing this was already posted in here, so mods feel free to delete the thread I made if you want.
    You had the right idea JT.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Re: Andy Murray Announces Retirement

Why couldn't this news be about Halep?
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast