Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

AO 2019 Bracket Prediction Contest

Start of play deadline is the start of tournament play: 11:00AM in Melbourne Australia on Monday the 14th. Note what time that is for you locally.

Entry Form: Deadline Start of play on day one
    [Please note there is some delay in placing qualifiers! If you do enter beforehand, please remember to try to revisit and re-submit your bracket once qualifiers are placed so those names show up properly in your entry. Brackets can be edited from the score tracking page before the start of play as long as your cookies are intact/match]
    ATP: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ent=Australian
    WTA: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ent=Australian

Picks And Score Tracking:

View ATP Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...alian&tour=ATP
    View WTA Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...alian&tour=WTA

What is it?
    This is a separate prediction contest for Slam events. Predict the full brackets for ATP and/or WTA events, and earn bonus points in later rounds for guessing or getting close to game totals for matches from the Quarterfinals on. This IS a medal awarding contest. A medal will be awarded to the overall score leader for each WTA and ATP top scorers.

How does it work?
    After the bracket is finalized and prior to the first round of play, participants select match winners for the full bracket. Additionally, participants are asked to guess how many games will be played in each of the QF, SF, and finals matches. Brackets for WTA and ATP events are separate.

Points are awarded as follows:
    Each correct bracket pick (having the correct player in that part of the draw) awards one point for each slot correctly filled for the first round. The second round results increase to 2 points each, third round 3 points each, and so on. This forms the majority of the overall prediction score.

Bonus points are awarded for how close you come to game totals in each of those matches. This is regardless of who ends up actually contesting them, so you can still earn points here even if your player picks are off.
    5 bonus points for getting the exact game count in that match
    4 for being within one game
    3 for being within 3 games
    2 for being within 5 games
    and 1 point for being within 7 games
    If a retirement takes place, the number of games played until the retirement is the 'correct' answer for that match, and a walkover is treated as playing 0 games.
    Prediction and bonus points are added together to form a final score for the event.

There will be a pick tracker so you can follow scoring as it occurs, complete with some plots of the data and breakdowns of choices in real time. Other player picks are not visible to you until after the deadline passes.

What do I need to do to participate?
    Nothing beforehand as long as you have a valid TAT account and are logged in.
    Entries will need to be made before the start of main draw play and a thread will be up in order to do that at least one day prior to the start of first round play.
    Entries may be redone as many times as you like up until the deadline (start of play the first day).

As before, any feedback is welcome.

This thread is intended for discussion and questions regarding the challenge.

Thanks, and good luck to all!
    Last edited by James7; 01-10-2019 at 06:18 AM.
    I disapprove of this message

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: AO 2019 Bracket Prediction Contest

Qualifiers have been placed.

Good luck!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Bumping to get this back on the RPB.

And I'm intentionally including a 0...in my bracket Nadal withdraws before the semi.
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 01-12-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Post round 1 highlights.
    ATP - Omegadoom got the most correct with 52, 2 more than the nearest competitors.
    At this early stage waylandboy-tw does have the ability to get one extra point (266 versus 265)

WTA - the Moz matched with a total of 52. This was 3 clear of the next competitor.
    the Moz has the best total available with 261, also 3 clear of the next.

Why am I leading early on? It will be impossible to hang on for the fortnight
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    Why am I leading early on? It will be impossible to hang on for the fortnight
    Oh c'mon - you still have a lead after Day 3, down to 1 point though over Patrick.

*checks remaining point totals*

Ooh - Patrick could theoretically outpoint you now. But - you are still 9 points clear of 3rd!

ATP side

Rashmi has moved into the lead on the strength of having 4 correct in the current round. (daveg pulled the same trick). This is worth a 2 point lead over omegadoom and jatagen.
    In terms of overall points available Rashmi has a 7pt. lead over the two current suitors. Tolulops is currently only 2 behind using that category.

For R3 completion, jatagen/omegadoom/munchin/suliso led with 13/16 correct.

WTA side

the Moz has a 7 point lead over tenedab and texasniteowl. tenedab, dave g, and cainim have all gotten 6 correct in the current round.

In terms of overall points available the Moz has a 7 point lead over tenedab. waylandboy-tw is 5 points arrears.

For R3 completion, the Moz/ New England Nitemare / Togtdyalttai all got 12 correct.

lol...well considering I had bother Kerber and Sabalenka in the semi's, you might as well forget that you typed my name! I definitely will NOT be staying in 3rd!

I could still have 3 SF's correct for WTA, but I think I'm too far back anyway.
    Roger forever

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Rashmi in a good position on the ATP side being 5 points ahead with similar live picks left among the leaders (Djokovic across the board, basically). But really deserving of a big shoutout along with fastbackss for the really very impressive Pouille Semis picks.

Togtdyalttai leads the WTA by 4 points, with the ability to pick up a few more with a Pliskova finalist prediction. texasniteowl is in position to threaten from 5 points back with an Osaka prediction. Only 3 players have a live champion prediction left, but are not in position to threaten to overtake.
    Last edited by James7; 01-23-2019 at 09:35 AM.

THUD.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Togtdyalttai leads the WTA by 4 points, with the ability to pick up a few more with a Pliskova finalist prediction. texasniteowl is in position to threaten from 5 points back with an Osaka prediction.
    Now if only I had put Osaka on all my teams!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Score are updated from Day 11 play. Texasniteowl jumped out in front of the WTA and has a good chance to stay there.

Rashmi holds onto the ATP lead even without having entered any bonus guesses.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Congratulations to texasniteowl, the winner of the WTA contest with a score of 170. Highest prediction score as well as tying for the highest bonus points.

If only I was as good at predicting matches as I seem to be at guessing at the competitiveness of matches between undetermined players ...
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast