Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: '19 AO Qualies 1/8 - 1/11

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    17-year-old Iga Swiatek ripped through the qualie draw. She could be another one to watch in the future.
    Huh. Never heard of her, but at 17 years of age that's not surprising. Girls double champion at 2018 French Open, girls single champion at 2018 Wimbledon. Was girls doubles runner-up at 2017 Australian Open, but later missed 7 months after ankle surgery. She's also already won 7 ITF titles, including back-to-back $60,000 events overlapping with last year's US Open (when the competition may have been lighter than typical?). Five of seven titles on clay.

Can Peter Polansky make it as a lucky loser for the fifth consecutive major? He's put himself in position, losing in the final round of qualifying today (actually, tomorrow, but whatever). He was seeded 10th in qualifying, and six of those seeded ahead of him lost before the third round, so he'll be among the top four to be pulled from if there's a withdrawal (it's still done as a lottery among the top final-round losers, right?).

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

That would be crazy.

Fellow Canadian Andreescu is up 5-0 in her match so far. Making good on the first half of my prediction.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

6-0 3-1 now. Just discovered you can stream qualifying matches from the AO site. Very nice clear feed.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

And almost as soon as I tune in, the match is (prematurely) over. Smitkova retired at 4-1 down.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    17-year-old Iga Swiatek ripped through the qualie draw. She could be another one to watch in the future.
    Someone mentioned her on Twitter. Evidently she has been winning a lot in ITF events and is a name to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Nice to see 'Banger' Kokkinakis make the MD. He's been plagued by injuries in his young career. Shame. I hope he can get something started at Melbourne.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12