Agree Agree:  8
Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

WTA P ATP 250 Sydney 1/6-1/12 2019

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Just watched a very tipsy turvy third set. Barty had a 3-0 lead, maybe got a bit tight, Petra twice served for the match and was broken. She looked very tired when she was broken at 6-5, doubled over after every point, but she managed to pull her self together to win the breaker, despite a couple of signs of cramp setting in. Very dramatic! Shame for Barty though? I would love for her to win a title soon, but Petra’schances of winning Melbourne will surely depend on her conditioning
    Yeah Barty should have won it but Kvitova‘s exoerience and raw power carried her through. This turned into a fantastic match. And it’s why I think it’s hard to predict someone without big-match experience will win a Slam, even though it has happened a couple times in the last 2 years. Well, really only once - Ostapenko - because Osaka had won Indian Wells.

I’d love Petra’s chances at Melbourne, but worry about recovery from this match, heat in Melbourne, and her draw - Sabalenka and Barty in her section.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 01-12-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Re: WTA P ATP 250 Sydney 1/6-1/12 2019

I was impressed with Barty all week and thought she could win in two since Petra was so out of sorts for the first set and a half.

Barty has joined the ranks of pretty good players. She was beaten by a player used to big match situations and knew her own limitations. Barty's coach should review the entire match with her because she really did have her chances and didn't appear to be having any physical difficulties although she did grab at her left hip a few times early in the match. Her match vs Bertens was a mid season level match both physically and mentally. When Barty started trying to mix up her shot selection and not rely so much on her slice is when she lost ground.

In the third set Petra began to show some physical distress and at one point Tracy Austin said she appeared to be cramping. I don't know what Tennis Australia was thinking but both women play on Monday. Courtney Nguyen says the projected temp is 37c/98f.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Alex de Minaur Mens Singles Champion
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Petra Kvitova Women's Singles Champion

Fortunately for Petra she has a good record against her first opponent (3-1 with the only loss on clay). Hopefully no complications despite the heat.
    Roger forever

Aleksandra Krunic and Katarina Siniakova Womens Doubles Champions

Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares Men's Doubles Champions

Petra, going in as a contender, made a mess of herself quite a few times at the slams last year. I don’t know why this time would be any different.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

No particular reason, but it might...
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I was impressed with Barty all week and thought she could win in two since Petra was so out of sorts for the first set and a half.

Barty has joined the ranks of pretty good players. She was beaten by a player used to big match situations and knew her own limitations. Barty's coach should review the entire match with her because she really did have her chances and didn't appear to be having any physical difficulties although she did grab at her left hip a few times early in the match. Her match vs Bertens was a mid season level match both physically and mentally. When Barty started trying to mix up her shot selection and not rely so much on her slice is when she lost ground.

In the third set Petra began to show some physical distress and at one point Tracy Austin said she appeared to be cramping. I don't know what Tennis Australia was thinking but both women play on Monday. Courtney Nguyen says the projected temp is 37c/98f.
    I wondered about the Monday schedule, but maybe it was predetermined that their half would play then. Kvitova is last match on. I think Barty plays last Day Session match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Men's Singles - Final

[5] A. de Minaur (AUS)
    d [8] A. Seppi (ITA) 75 76(5)

Men's Doubles - Final
    [2] J. Murray (GBR) / B. Soares (BRA)
    d [1] J. Cabal (COL) / R. Farah (COL) 64 63

Women's Singles - Final

[5] [WC] P. Kvitova (CZE)
    d A. Barty (AUS) 16 75 76(3)

Women's Doubles - Final
    A. Krunic (SRB) / K. Siniakova (CZE)
    d E. Hozumi (JPN) / A. Rosolska (POL) 61 76(3)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234