Agree Agree:  750
Likes Likes:  1,823
Page 205 of 222 FirstFirst ... 105155180195201202203204205206207208209215 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 3321

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Svitolina is in real danger of me being able to recognize her in pictures.
    It's the private jet
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    It's the private jet
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Since when does something have to carry a meaning for some people to be offended?
    You have spoken at length about social media. One of the reason I am not in any platform is precisely because there are always some people offended by anything and everything. The other reason is because, as you also say, it is very hard to have meaningful conversations on these platforms.
    I don't know this kid. Maybe he is Scarface. Maybe he is Winnie The Pooh. Most likely, he is no worse than your average rapper.
    And I am not being flippant here, but I really must have misread CATCHER IN THE RYE because I don't recall Holden having a cause. If I read it correctly, he was a rebel for the simple fact of being one. Again, it was ages ago, so most likely I am wrong.
    Go and extend you middle fingers to random people on the street, or in a store... then tell me it has no meaning. Only if people completely ignore you and your extended middle fingers will I believe that it carries no meaning. And we both know that won't happen.

Look, everyone knows what the meaning of the middle finger is. Hence, the reaction to the US Open trophy photo. 2+2=4. To do something like giving the middle finger salute in a photo which is supposed to represent the celebration of someone else's major accomplishment, and do so without explanation, is, at best, misplaced and extremely disrespectful. He can't claim it was meaningless - because he obviously did it to provoke a reaction. He knew damned well it would solicit reaction. And to solicit reaction means that it obviously has known meaning, and so is not meaningless. And apparently he didn't care that the reaction would be negative reaction - because that was very predictable.

If this guy is trying to tell someone in particular - or some group in particular - to 'F*** Off' - which is the universal meaning of the extended middle finger - then at least there would be a purpose - though doing it in that photo would still be disrespectful to the actual purpose of the photo (to celebrate Naomi's win), and would still be severely misplaced. But there was no purpose stated. The purpose, then, it certainly seems, was simply to try to show 10 to 15 year old kids how 'cool' he is - perhaps so that they would buy his music. Maybe his PR agent told him to do it. Whatever the reason, it was very ill-conceived, completely unnecessary, disrespectful, immature, misplaced, and wrong - and I am a person who very much despises the current 'politically correct' wave which calls for everyone to be offended by everything.

And... Holden's cause was, put simply, to both expose and fight against all the dishonesty and phoniness in this culture.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 09-21-2020 at 01:45 AM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    And... Holden's cause was, put simply, to both expose and fight against all the dishonesty and phoniness in this culture.
    I don't really care about Cordae, but I am with Ponchi here (although also read it many years ago). From what I remember, the whole point of Catcher in the Rye was to show Holden's "cause" and fight were in themselves just an exercise in "phoniness" and dishonesty.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Meanwhile, in Australia...

World No.1 tennis champion Ashleigh Barty wins Queensland golf title
    https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/ba...ship-c-1331462

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I don't really care about Cordae, but I am with Ponchi here (although also read it many years ago). From what I remember, the whole point of Catcher in the Rye was to show Holden's "cause" and fight were in themselves just an exercise in "phoniness" and dishonesty.
    That's not my perspective of the book, which I've read several times.
    Holden spends the entire book frustrated with, and fighting against, the phoniness and dishonesty he sees virtually everywhere. At the end, it is revealed that he is in a psychiatric institution. The 'moral' of the story being that in this culture, the insane majority are viewed as being sane, simply because they are the majority, while the sane, who are in the great minority, and who clearly see the flaws of this culture, are viewed as insane and condemned.

It reminds me somewhat of this quotation:
    "A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde

And this one:
    “To perish under a burden one can neither bear nor throw off? The case of the philosopher.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

And this one:
    “Wherever a man goes, men will pursue him and paw him with their dirty institutions, and, if they can, constrain him to belong to their desperate odd-fellow society. It is true, I might have resisted forcibly with more or less effect, might have run ‘amok’ against society; but I preferred that society should run ‘amok’ against me, it being the desperate party.” - Henry Thoreau

I think the purpose of any good book, really, is for the reader to interpret the story in whatever manner which comes most instinctively and naturally to him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Meanwhile, in Australia...

World No.1 tennis champion Ashleigh Barty wins Queensland golf title
    https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/ba...ship-c-1331462
    That's great. I'm on the record as saying I really think Ash is going to retire from tennis and play on the LPGA, and I don't mean in the distant future. I think she likes tennis, but she appears to really love golf.

Domi, Michal and Jakub at Jakub's Christening Celebration

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    That's great. I'm on the record as saying I really think Ash is going to retire from tennis and play on the LPGA, and I don't mean in the distant future. I think she likes tennis, but she appears to really love golf.
    Barty is also an elite cricket player.
    To be able to play 3 different sports at either the highest or near highest level in the world is quite an accomplishment.

By next year, she might also be throwing shutouts for the N.Y. Yankees and touchdowns for the Pittsburgh Steelers!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    Barty is also an elite cricket player.
    To be able to play 3 different sports at either the highest or near highest level in the world is quite an accomplishment.

By next year, she might also be throwing shutouts for the N.Y. Yankees and touchdowns for the Pittsburgh Steelers!
    Interesting theory about Barty moving on to a different sport. The one caveat might be prize money and sponsorship - guessing tennis pays a lot more.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Azarenka

Pironkova

Angie on her way to Paris

Roger forever

What blue giraffe had to die for that monstrosity?
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I had to scroll back up to see what blue giraffe you were talking about. I guess I'v been desensitized to horrid prints thanks to the Agassi kits so I barely noticed just how bad that print is.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Interesting theory about Barty moving on to a different sport. The one caveat might be prize money and sponsorship - guessing tennis pays a lot more.
    Not really a factor in my prediction at least. She's already made a good amount playing tennis so that gives her some flexibility. If the sport I predicted were something else it would be different, but LPGA golf, though considerably less than the PGA, does not pay pauper wages.

Also remember, Barty is not a sponsor darling even down in Australia despite being so well liked. Her biggest non-tennis sponsor is Jaguar Australia and I'd guess she could keep that one crossing over to golf. In my mind, she'd be one of the most famous female golfers around, so she might do better on sponsorships playing golf than she does with tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    How dare you! That is a dead blue cheetah JT. Get it right. /s

Just to be crystal clear about this disaster in case anyone is unaware - This is from Tsevtana's own athleisure brand Pironetic, and she's the creative director, so this is all her.

Page 205 of 222 FirstFirst ... 105155180195201202203204205206207208209215 ... LastLast