Agree Agree:  789
Likes Likes:  1,903
Page 219 of 233 FirstFirst ... 119169194209215216217218219220221222223229 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,285 of 3490

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

I know there was a discussion about Isner and his ilk but I'm not sure where it was.

Ed Salmon
    @fogmount
    I’m not sure who in this tweet is guilty of the worst offense, but it’s definitely not “mainstream US news outlets”.

This was RT'd yesterday.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I know there was a discussion about Isner and his ilk but I'm not sure where it was.

Ed Salmon
    @fogmount
    I’m not sure who in this tweet is guilty of the worst offense, but it’s definitely not “mainstream US news outlets”.

This was RT'd yesterday.
    Amurica's finest.
    Jon Wertheim wrote a couple of times about Sandgren's Tweets and how he was young and that we all do things when we are young that maybe we would change later. And I will give Wertheim credit. But there's not a lot to say now. QAnon has been rekindling the Hillary Clinton child sex trafficking pizzagate nonsense.It has ties to anti Semitic and white supremacist groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    Amurica's finest.
    Jon Wertheim wrote a couple of times about Sandgren's Tweets and how he was young and that we all do things when we are young that maybe we would change later. And I will give Wertheim credit. But there's not a lot to say now.

Kevin
    I'm not giving Wertheim credit. The "well he was young" argument is one extended to a limited set and rarely has it been well earned. Tennys was deserving of nothing as it wasn't some single youthful transgression, he was hardly out here quoting rap lyrics out of turn.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I'm not giving Wertheim credit. The "well he was young" argument is one extended to a limited set and rarely has it been well earned. Tennys was deserving of nothing as it wasn't some single youthful transgression, he was hardly out here quoting rap lyrics out of turn.
    I essentially agree with you. I didn't agree with Wertheim, but I don't know if it was coming from his (Wertheim's) internalized bias or just from him trying to be magnanimous with his view towards human behavior. In other words, I think that Wertheim giving Sandgren the benefit of the doubt was misguided, but came from a hopeful point of view that, a you say, Sandgren didn't earn.

Kevin

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Wertheim certainly wouldn't be the only one with an "internalized bias"...

Sometimes things are what they seem, and sometimes they are not. Sometimes people are led to view things in a certain way - led by their own previous experience, which is irrelevant to a completely separate circumstance... or led by media leanings... or led by whatever is currently popular within the culture in which they live...

As such, I, personally, prefer to not be influenced, and to instead know a person as well as possible before judging his/her character.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    I essentially agree with you. I didn't agree with Wertheim, but I don't know if it was coming from his (Wertheim's) internalized bias or just from him trying to be magnanimous with his view towards human behavior. In other words, I think that Wertheim giving Sandgren the benefit of the doubt was misguided, but came from a hopeful point of view that, a you say, Sandgren didn't earn.

Kevin
    Wertheim likes to tread very lightly on a lot of topics. I think it's a mix of a good career advancement strategy, a desire to stay away from controversy, and maybe just trying to be unbiased to the point of bias. At some point, you have to say things as they are, though.

Wertheim also gave Gimelstob lots of benefits of the doubt for a long, long time before finally accepting he is probably a POS (if we're going to insist on "getting to know a person," I have seen enough Gimelstob up close to tell you it's obvious what kind of person he is within seconds while Wertheim is as nice and professional as you would expect).

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Wertheim likes to tread very lightly on a lot of topics. I think it's a mix of a good career advancement strategy, a desire to stay away from controversy, and maybe just trying to be unbiased to the point of bias. At some point, you have to say things as they are, though.

Wertheim also gave Gimelstob lots of benefits of the doubt for a long, long time before finally accepting he is probably a POS (if we're going to insist on "getting to know a person," I have seen enough Gimelstob up close to tell you it's obvious what kind of person he is within seconds while Wertheim is as nice and professional as you would expect).
    ^ I agree that Gimelstob seems to be a jerk, based on what I've seen of him - and I view him pretty much as such. But then, he was very close with Corina Morariu, who seems to be a very sweet, decent and respectful individual. It makes me wonder what she saw in Gimelstob. She seems to have seen something positive - otherwise she would have dismissed him.
    Or maybe Morariu is a selfish jerk herself who just poses as a sweet, decent person.

My point is simply that, unless we know someone personally, we are not in a position to judge their character - and so should not toss around vicious accusations. Human beings are very complicated creatures, and, as such, there are many, many elements which together form a person's character. People are not one dimensional - and so it is difficult - and inadvisable - to assess a person based on anything less than all of his/her dimensions. Simply observing someone through the eyes of the media - and the media's various biases - does not tell us who a person truly is. We are too distant, and we see only a small fraction of the overall person. And so we should not be so quick to judge a person's character conclusively.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 10-27-2020 at 09:56 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

A tabloid is reporting that Zevrev's ex girlfriend is pregnant with his child with conception being roughly just before Adria Tour.

Brenda Patea supposedly confirmed pregnancy comments with a media outlet.

I'd still wait on a non-tabloid source, but just throwing that out there.
    I disapprove of this message

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    ^....

My point is simply that, unless we know someone personally, we are not in a position to judge their character - and so should not toss around vicious accusations. ....
    If you need to know somebody personally before you can judge their character, how could you judge any historical character, for example? How could you judge Joseph Stalin, or Mahatma Ghandi? Yet, that is something that is seldom controversial. We are allowed to do that.
    I find, this time, your position to be confusing. You and I have agreed that you do not, again as an example, have to be completely immersed in a situation in order for your opinion to be valid and acceptable (which does not mean necessarily true and correct). I used myself as an example: I cannot be thought of as the Final Authority of all things Venezuelan simply because I am one; my position and ideas may be biased precisely because I am so affected by what happens in that situation. Yet here you imply that calling any person, which we do not know personally, any kind of adjective is erroneous because, precisely, we do not know them personally.
    Public figures are public precisely because they offer a public persona, which is the base for judgements. And eventually, some data are good enough for an opinion to be forged: signing your twitter account SIEG HEIL should leave little doubt about many of your ideas, and posting or re-tweeting a message that is flagrantly right wing can give the rest of the world sound footing on calling you a right-wing proponent. Which comes with other adjectives attached.

I mean, I don't know any bengal tigers personally, but I gather they have little regard for killing a cow. No matter how sacred she is.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 10-28-2020 at 08:25 AM.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Sieg Heil actually. It translates as victory salute.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    A tabloid is reporting that Zevrev's ex girlfriend is pregnant with his child with conception being roughly just before Adria Tour.

Brenda Patea supposedly confirmed pregnancy comments with a media outlet.

I'd still wait on a non-tabloid source, but just throwing that out there.
    The above is the tennis news I woke up to this morning.

José Morgado
    @josemorgado
    Zverev’s ex-girlfriend Brenda Patea says she is expecting a baby from Sascha. 20 weeks pregnant. They have no contact these days and she has no intention to split custody.

The article is in "Bild" https://www.bild.de/#fromWall

It seems that if she agrees to joint custody she gets le$$ money.

People were asking if there's been a paternity test. Per healthline.com one can be done as early as 9 weeks but that sounds a bit risky to me.

Apparently the breakup was announced by Ms Patea in late July (July 27 is the date being bandied about) and she says she is now four months pregnant.

I found a translation of the article on MTF.

Translation by "kingroger"

Zverev and the model had separated in August after a year of relationship. But the reason is not said to be the baby news. Brenda Patea: "It was a crisis before because we have different views on life. If you live at the side of an athlete, you have to subordinate yourself.

What will happen now between the two of them? That could be difficult. Because Brenda Patea, who currently has no contact with Alex, does not want to share custody with him: "That is out of the question for me.

She continues: "The child was not planned, but I will do everything I can to ensure that it grows up in a harmonious environment. I am in the lucky situation to be able to raise the child on my own".

In terms of sports, Alex Zverev has been doing well lately: Finals at the US Open and a double victory at the tournaments in Cologne.

So the ATP players who are very young parents/married/divorced

Taylor Fritz
    Daniil Medvedev
    Karen Khachanov
    Elias Ymer
    Alexander Zverev

Amazing how we haven't had any baby mama drama from the top 3 ATP players but maybe Next Gen will be tabloid fodder?

I wasn't aware Ymer is married as well. Is there any drama about the two Russian players?
    Roger forever

Sascha did not quarantine with her, so to say she had plenty of time to cozy up to someone else is an understatement. The unilateral announcement is real interesting. I'll wait til he confirms it's his.

Nole didn't quite exactly have baby mama drama, but drama nonetheless.

Page 219 of 233 FirstFirst ... 119169194209215216217218219220221222223229 ... LastLast