Agree Agree:  27
Likes Likes:  54
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    JazzNU, I love the photo posts. Feel free to post them twice rather than run the risk of not posting them. Thanks!!!! GH
    Agree, I love the photos. And Glenn, you are always so positive and thoughtful. Your posts make me smile.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Safarova: they left her WRINKLES on that shot. How refreshing.
    Starry starry night

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

That's exactly what I thought too...at first I though, man she looks old. Then realized, no that's just a real actual picture of here.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Joe
    ‏@ProdigyRepV2

Tiafoe grew up sleeping in the office of a Tennis centre with a dream to become a pro. I see people complaining about his celebrations saying its 'only a 3rd round' etc but after what he went through as a kid can you blame him? It's a rags to riches story and I bloody love it.

https://www.france24.com/en/20180705...igrant-parents
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I love Tiafoe but how am I supposed to buy what that story is selling? So he cam from a two income home, with a mom that was a nurse no less, yet they were struggling? Sounds more like a middle class upbringing.

Oh, and he hit tennis balls against a wall when you know, he lived in a freaking tennis training facility?
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Well that story is inspiring to me without examining it further. But if it helps you at all, I'd think of nurse in 90s terms and not current ones. Pay was considerably less than now. And in this case, as someone who moved from another country, it would be incredibly unusual for her to be a nurse the way many people think of which is a RN or an nurse practitioner, both of which require additional years of training and get paid more. But again, not nearly as much then as they do now. His mother was more likely an LPN, the lowest rung on the nursing ladder and the lowest paid. What I'm reading doesn't sound like anything I'd ever term a middle class upbringing.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Ace Blackjack Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion Woody's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I love Tiafoe but how am I supposed to buy what that story is selling? So he cam from a two income home, with a mom that was a nurse no less, yet they were struggling? Sounds more like a middle class upbringing.

Oh, and he hit tennis balls against a wall when you know, he lived in a freaking tennis training facility?
    If only he had had to practice in an old swimming pool...

There's this social media thing right now called the #10YearChallenge where people are posting then and now photos of themselves. Anyway, Belinda Bencic posted this and I thought some would enjoy.

Mark Philippoussis. Haven't seen him in ages, but saw this among Aussie Open stuff on IG and looked further. He's doing something with LaVazza at AO. His wife appears to be a spokesperson for them at the event as well. And their kids, with an extra picture of them since the their daughter's face isn't as clear in the picture with him.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Ace Blackjack Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion Woody's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For all the beard lovers in the house: https://longreads.com/2019/01/23/the...-benoit-paire/

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789