Agree Agree:  417
Likes Likes:  1,173
Page 126 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2676101116122123124125126127128129130 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 1993

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

The rackets moved the return to the returners' advantage.
    Years ago, when some people were saying that the new rackets would make the serves unreturnable, Mark Phillipousis (a huge server at the time) was invited to serve with a wood racket. He lost only 2-3 MPH on his serve. But the new rackets have really helped the returners. In the past, a great returner like Connors or Borg had to make a full turn and then swing with a complete follow through. Nowadays, look at Nole. He blocks so many returns, sending them back with accuracy and power because of the 105 sq-in surface (Connors' T-2000 had 62).
    So what Suliso says. Nobody has tried to consistently serve and volley and be successful at it. Mizha Zverev and Nicolas Mahut have tried and see where that led them. So it would take some supernatural talent to make it work. And Taylor is very talented, but supernatural is another level.
    Missing winter...

Old Zverev and Mahut are probably perfect examples of what Townsend could do. Zverev peaked at 25th. Mahut at 37th. You could also look at PH Herbert (36th). Strycova (16th) or Lisa Raymond (15th) might be her best case scenario.

Guess what happened when I looked up Lisa Raymond's peak singles ranking? She's part of the unretirement bonanza!

She's coaching Kiick, and they're going to play a handful of doubles tournaments together next year. They already played one 60k, winning one match, so Lisa has a professional ranking again (just outside the top 1000).

From what I can tell, a good number of people on this forum have been taken aback by the comments from others off-site that apparently Ash Barty doesn't look like they think a #1 player should look or something along those lines.

And yet, when it comes to Taylor Townsend, plenty on here feel free to comment about how she looks and it's not new. The young woman who wins plenty of 3-set matches and is jumping rope during long breaks by her opponent is already in shape. Don't be like Patrick McEnroe.

She was not in a top physical shape, why why would we hide it? With Barty it's different - I believe it was implied that she's not pretty or feminine enough. That's not the angle with Taylor.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    She was not in a top physical shape, why why would we hide it? With Barty it's different - I believe it was implied that she's not pretty or feminine enough. That's not the angle with Taylor.
    Ash has one bias against her, Taylor another. Both around their physical appearance.

There are plenty of players who wilt at the end of a matches, and rarely is it said they are out of shape because they look a way Western civilization says to many of you that person looks "in shape." And they for sure are not commented about and criticized for years on end the way Taylor has been.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Ash has one bias against her, Taylor another. Both around their physical appearance.

There are plenty of players who wilt at the end of a matches, and rarely is it said they are out of shape because they look a way Western civilization says to many of you that person looks "in shape." And they for sure are not commented about and criticized for years on end the way Taylor has been.
    Taylor was out of shape for a professional athlete.

I watch her mtches when they're available and they always went the same way: Taylor played a great set and a half and then would lose in three sucking wind at the end.

Was PMac wrong in what he said and did? Absolutely. But that doesn't excuse Taylor's physical condition. About a year and a half ago I noticed she had started to lose weight. She did it in a healthy way, shedding weight little by little. The fact that she herself posted that pic showing of her new abs says it all for me. She liked the acclaim she got at the end of the year. Instead of eating her way through the off season she trained and the result is what we see. The weight loss can only help her already great speed around the court, and help her win a match in two sets instead of always losing in three sets.

The phenomenon of being thin but not fit has been noted here before. There are lots of players who have achieved thinness but when it comes to fitness they, as you say, wilt at the end of matches. Let's see how these women play in 2020.

As for Barty "not looking like a top player" I present one Stefani Graf. Or Monica Seles during her playing days when she was out of shape for a professional athlete. The game was different then though.

A more recent example of being out of atheltic shape is of course Marion Bartoli. Her battles with weight are public and sad. She realizes that she can't play the modern game at the weight she's comfortable with and so she's coaching.

Should we talk about Muguruza who lost a lot of weight. Or Victoria Azarenka who has still not adjusted her game to go with her weight loss. I'd Petra Kvitova into this category too.

It's a tricky business for women athletes to maintain a healthy weight while working on their fitness.

All of that to say Taylor showing off new abs is her way of admitting she needed to do something about her weight. I'm glad she did it the way she did.

(Now if she will only get away from the Youngs...)
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    As for Barty "not looking like a top player" I present one Stefani Graf. [/SIZE]
    Is my memory really failing me? I remember Steffi as a perfect embodiment of a dominant player and in a superb shape too.

Men find it easier to keep themselves in an optimal playing shape. The only recent exception I can think off is Nalbandian.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Is my memory really failing me? I remember Steffi as a perfect embodiment of a dominant player and in a superb shape too.

Men find it easier to keep themselves in an optimal playing shape. The only recent exception I can think off is Nalbandian.
    Steffi was in good physical shape. Many of those complaining that Barty "doesn't look like a top player" are referring to her facial features. That is why I brought up Graf.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

As a teenager I found Steffi attractive
    Roger forever

Martina Hingis with her husband and daughter in China

Roger forever

I thought Steffi was gorgeous. Seles too.
    This forum has said a lot about players that are/were too thin. Hantuchova, Mladenovic now. We have also spoken about looks, as in "What did Aga Radwanska do to her face?" (We still don't know).
    We have also spoken about Nalbandian's lack of physical preparation, as well as Baghdatis'.
    When Agassi decided that IHOP was his place for nutritional guidance I was not a member of this forum, but that was spoken about a lot in every tennis sphere.
    Navratilova's left arm was discussed ad-nauseam throughout her career. Her looks too.

We are not all bad people. Or yes we are.
    Missing winter...

The above responses are why I like TAT. Mature men seeing the beauty in non traditional beauty unlike the thirteen year olds who seem to dominate other forums.

― Frank Zappa

Bianca Andreescu caps off banner year with 2019 Lou Marsh Trophy

Tennis star Bianca Andreescu has won the 2019 Lou Marsh Trophy as Canada’s athlete of the year, capping off what was perhaps the most dominant season by a Canadian in the sport’s history.

Andreescu has seemed the clear choice since early September, when she rose to international prominence under the bright lights of New York’s Arthur Ashe Stadium by claiming the 2019 U.S. Open, becoming the first Canadian to ever win a Grand Slam singles title.

That her historic win came over the greatest in the sport’s history, Serena Williams, only added to the weight of the achievement.

The trophy is named after former Toronto Star sports editor Louis Edwin Marsh and voted upon by a committee of Canadian sports journalists. It was first awarded in 1936.

In earning the Lou Marsh award, Andreescu becomes the first tennis player to get the nod as Canada’s top athlete. Thus far in the trophy’s history, hockey has led the way, claiming the award 13 times, with figure skating (nine wins), swimming (eight wins), track and field (seven wins), and alpine skiing (six wins) rounding out the top five sports.

Andreescu’s U.S. Open win over Williams marked a rematch of the pair’s Rogers Cup showdown in August. The Mississauga, Ont., native’s performance in that first meeting only helped bolster her case as a key contender for this year’s Lou Marsh, with the 19-year-old getting the win after Williams was forced to retire with injury, and in doing so becoming the first Canadian woman in 50 years to earn the Rogers Cup title.

The young champ’s true breakout came during the Indian Wells Open in March, wherein Andreescu took down Angelique Kerber to become the youngest champion in the tournament’s history since, incidentally, Williams two decades prior.

All told, Andreescu’s climb saw her move from the No. 152 ranking she entered the 2019 season with all the way to No. 4 in the world, the highest such ranking for a Canadian in WTA Tour history.

Other finalists included golfer Brooke Henderson, sprinter Andre De Grasse, Atlanta Braves pitcher Mike Soroka and St. Louis Blues goaltender Jordan Binnington.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/bian...u-marsh-award/

Page 126 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2676101116122123124125126127128129130 ... LastLast