Agree Agree:  572
Likes Likes:  1,424
Page 157 of 174 FirstFirst ... 57107132147153154155156157158159160161167 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 2600

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Why is she standing like that?
    She's feverish, and her side hurts from coughing.

Stan over the weekend

Stan has been killing it on social media. Followers steadily increasing because he's been that entertaining. This is a video that goes with the photo above.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-pajqugdXi/

Indeed.
    Next time somebody says the Swiss are boring automatons, he can raise his hand and say "Hold My Champagne!"
    (My GF follows him, so she keeps me up to date).
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Indeed.
    Next time somebody says the Swiss are boring automatons, he can raise his hand and say "Hold My Champagne!"
    (My GF follows him, so she keeps me up to date).
    Uh huh. Sure. You can just tell us you check his social media several times a day. We support you!

Petra Kvitova. Nice look patio.

Dominic Thiem and his dog Hugo. Good photo, thank goodness that blonde is growing out.

Kristyna Pliskova and boyfriend David. Yet another of these chairs.

Gaby Dabrowski taking up a new hobby. She's in Florida, where I guess golfing is still allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Gaby Dabrowski taking up a new hobby. She's in Florida, where I guess golfing is still allowed.
    It's an essential business don't you konw.

"Behind the Racquet"

Donna Vekic

“I started playing tennis when I was six years old. From four to six I practiced gymnastics. It’s one of my favorite sports, especially to watch on TV. When I started gymnastics was never to be a professional or anything. I was getting better and better but one day the coaches came up to my parents and told them I would be too tall for it. Looking back I guess they were right. The summer was approaching and my parents said I should try something else. I said, ‘Why not tennis?’ From the first day I was really into it. I remember rolling my ankle in my house before the first practice but still went. I enjoyed tennis from the beginning but probably because I was so competitive. I hated to lose and needed to win. I do really love tennis. There is nothing quite like playing a night match, especially at Grand Slams. You can tell I love tennis when I spend the whole day on site and the first think I do when I get back to the hotel is turn the TV on and watch more tennis.

I remember having one of my longest losing streaks. I was around 16 years old and lost seven matches in a row, and this was when I was restricted to the amount of professional tournaments I could play. I couldn’t just play week after week to try and get that win. I finally won my first match after a while at Indian Wells. It was such a relief. After losing a couple matches it gets in your head, thinking I didn’t have what it took. The struggle was moving up the rankings quickly. I was 16 and already top 100 in the world. I won my first WTA event at 17. Every time I reached a final or won a tournament, the next few after would be a waste. I would lose early from all the pressure I put on myself to have to win. I really didn’t enjoyed playing from around 18-20 years old. Everyone expected me to keep on winning from when I was 16. It just doesn’t always happen like that, it’s so rare. Now when I see all these young girls, I know it will eventually stop. From then it’s just how they deal with it and move pass it. A lot of the pressure is coming from media. I remember reading an article where they called me a ‘tourist’ at the tournament. I was never into reading too much about myself, didn’t pay too much attention to it all. It was easier at times because I wouldn’t spend too much time in Croatia to listen to what people said. Even if you don’t try you always hear that people are talking about you. I was still working hard, practicing, doing everything right, but it was just not being shown in matches. I finally admitted to myself that I wasn’t enjoying tennis. Things changed and my ranking went from outside the top 100 to top 20 in the world. I really grew up, through the natural process of growing up and just became older. I cannot say it was because I was working harder, I was just smarter about it all.

The last couple of years I have been so lucky to have an amazing year. Between my head coach, Torben Beltz and my fitness coach, Zlatko Novkovic, they have both really helped me. I don’t know what I would do without them. We get along so well I actually look forward to going away to tournaments and being with them. Torben is such a positive guy which is so important for me. I can get down on myself and am really hard on myself. I find balance as I am also a very social and friendly person. There are some nights where I am going to stay in my room, not talk to anyone and get room service. Most times I either have dinner with my team or friends. I am friendly with most girls on tour. One of my closest friends is Maria Sakkari and it is never easy having to play her, which I have done a few times times recently. It’s terrible. We both want to win the match and we have this friendship. The worst part is she knows every single move I will do. I know what she is thinking at any given moment, just like she does. It makes it so unusual. The whole time I am thinking, ‘I just want this match to be over.’ I am not thinking too much about the friendship during the match because I know we will always have it. We always have this thing where the winner pays for dinner.

My best advice for the next generation of tennis players is to find positivity. Don’t overthink too much and try to look at the larger picture. Think long term process, because even now I catch myself thinking about wanting it now and that doesn’t help me play better. It’s tough to do but you need that great team around you to help you with all of that. Not everyone can have it, it’s not easy, that’s why tennis is so tough.”

Donna Vekic (donnavekic)

“No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Behind the Racquet

Roberto Bautista Agut

“My mom passed away in 2018. I was at the club I used to train at when I got a call after practice. I found out my mom went to sleep and didn’t wake up. It was 100% unexpected. She was very young, only 52 years old, but was supporting a lot of stress from taking care of my father. Back in 2016 my father was in an accident. My father fell while he was cleaning our horse stables and became paralyzed. It was days before the Rio Olympics, which I almost decided to skip, but ended up going in the end. My father was in the bed in the next room when my mom passed away. It was an incredibly tough four years. From my father’s accident he became a quadriplegic, couldn’t move from the neck down. He used an artificial breathing machine since he couldn’t do it himself. We had two people, plus my mother, who took care of my father 24 hours a day. Then when my mom passed away, my wife and I had a lot of work considering that he needed all day help. We added a few more people to the team to help him.

When I was younger and had easier problems to deal with, I would focus all my energy and sadness on the court. That helped me when I got older and dealt with my parents. It wasn’t easy, there was no time to rest. I would practice and then use my free time to go home and visit my father in the hospital or the house. It was extremely difficult. I knew that during this time I could not stop playing. I had to help my father. In the beginning we didn’t know how much the treatments would cost or all of his operations. I had to keep working. I know that besides the money playing tennis is what my father wanted for me. My parents wanted me to make my dreams come true no matter the situation. I kept playing and fought harder than I ever did. That was my way of making it worth it. During this horrible time is when I played some of my best tennis. I am sure people cannot understand that. I was there for my family as much as I could, but I couldn’t throw away what I have worked all my life for. I wanted to keep working, and harder than ever. I never gave up. It was November of 2019, when my father passed away. It was during the Davis Cup match against Canada. I got to be with him his last few minutes and played a match 24 hours later. It was what my father wanted for me. His passing was a little unexpected but my family knew that it could happen any day or month. Even though I knew this, once your father passes away you face that. You face the loss of another parent and there are no words. These tough moments made me stronger and more powerful. It gave me a strength others didn’t have. Through all the tough times I had at home and didn’t want to travel because I was so tired, it made me who I am. It made me more focused and motivated. I did everything I could to fight hard on the court to show my mother and father that their hard work was worth it.

Soccer has always been a passion of mine. When I was younger I played for Villarreal until I was 14 years old. It was not an easy decision but I am very happy that I am playing tennis. I do miss playing for a team a lot but looking back I am lucky to choose tennis. It was difficult to leave all my friends on the team and to lose a dream of yours. It is not easy to make a life decision like that at 14. I don’t regret it but after a couple years of tennis practice I could never have imagined the sacrifices you needed to make to become a pro tennis player. It’s fun when I get the chance to play soccer with some of the guys now.”

Roberto Bautista Agut (@robertobautistaagut)

Behind the Racquet

Ons Jabeur

“I grew up in Tunisia. I started playing tennis at three years old because my mom used to play. I was the youngest one of my brothers and sisters, so she took me to the club with her. It was around this time, from 3-5 years old, I was actually swimming. I was born in Ksar Hellal and moved to Sousse at 5 and that’s when I chose to play tennis. Sousse was great but needed more resources to improve, which is when I had to decide if I needed to leave my home city at 13 years old. There was this school in Tunis that would allow me to train and go to school at the same time. It gave me the chance to train more hours, which is what I needed. It was 140 kilometers from my home. It was very difficult for me to leave my city, it was one of my biggest struggles. It has been a long process since then. Even with all the help I had to figure out a lot on my own. I made many mistakes when it came to coaching, practicing, tournament scheduling, everything. I had to figure out what worked for me. I learned a lot over the years. I learned my country has always been a part of me even when times weren’t easy. People have been against me at times, especially the gamblers, who always have something to say. I have had many of them, when they lose money on me, comment on me being a Muslim. In the beginning I didn’t know what to do when people said racist remarks, especially after the revolution, a scary time for my country. I then would figure out that it was just a lack of intelligence, not really knowing what they are talking about, so there is no need to waste my time with responding to gamblers. I just want to set the best example I can. Once you’re on court, everything is put to the side, race and religion included. I want to help Tunisia get on the same level in tennis as some of these other countries that have many more resources. The mindset just has to be right.

I know many players struggling right now. I know how difficult it can be to travel, pay for a coach or flight. I can see myself in their position. Before I broke through there were some times where I couldn’t travel and had to choose not to play the tournament. I was lucky that my brothers and sisters helped me with money at times. It hurt to ask my loved ones for financial help. At the time I didn’t even know if I would ever be able to repay them. They would always remind me that they believe in me and didn’t want the money back but for me, in my head, I needed to return it eventually. It changed my career because it allowed me to take a coach to tournaments when I couldn’t normally afford it. There were definitely moments of weakness where I was confused. I was getting so many different opinions, even from people that weren’t in the tennis world. I had thoughts if I should go back to school or not, but no matter what i kept coming back to this idea that I want to be number one in the world, I want to win a grand slam. I can’t help myself from dreaming big. Top 100 will never be enough for me. There are times when I am not thinking straight and lose hope but that is when my family has come and remind me why I started playing and that I believed in myself more than anyone else.” Ons Jabeur (onsjabeur)

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Thanks for posting these Ti, I love getting these players insights

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Thanks for posting these Ti, I love getting these players insights
    Thank you Liam.

I was today years old when I found out there is a website and that I don't have to go on IG to see these.

https://www.behindtheracquet.com

Page 157 of 174 FirstFirst ... 57107132147153154155156157158159160161167 ... LastLast