Awards Showcase

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

She apologized

https://twitter.com/d_yastremska/sta...080637952?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    That was my guess.

Is it worth discussing if things that USED to be bad can change leaving behind that tag and be acceptable in their newer forms?

I mean, a religious person might argue that the answer is YES when talking about the Church... and I'm sure there are many, many more examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    She apologized

https://twitter.com/d_yastremska/sta...080637952?s=21

Drop, I would like to think intelligent people can discuss history in a nuanced manner, especially a bunch of smarty pants like us TATeurs.

omess, obviously this was a young woman who didn't have an understanding of blackface as it relates to American history. I would have preferred to see Twitter educate her rather than tear her down. But Twitter is what it is.

There is always more than one path to discussing and understanding, and reading this story reminded me of this one from yesterday.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/us/de...rnd/index.html
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

I may be wrong, but now that I've seen the photo and the comments by her and others, I am almost positive that she meant this in a totally appropriate way. She was trying to make a statement about loving one another despite differences. It was not at all a good idea if one understands the history of the usage of blackface. But she almost certainly did not understand that and thought that she was making a simple and beautiful statement. I can forgive her completely, though I hope she learned not to do it again. Far worse mistakes have been made in the history of the world. GH

There's a lot worse on Twitter let alone in the real world than this. I'm just sad that we manufacture scandals out of so little.
    Roger forever

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    There's a lot worse on Twitter let alone in the real world than this. I'm just sad that we manufacture scandals out of so little.
    If it turns into a scandal it is her fault . She initially refused to take it down

Page 184 of 184 FirstFirst ... 84134159174180181182183184