Agree Agree:  667
Likes Likes:  1,612
Page 184 of 193 FirstFirst ... 84134159174180181182183184185186187188 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 2886
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

She apologized

https://twitter.com/d_yastremska/sta...080637952?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    That was my guess.

Is it worth discussing if things that USED to be bad can change leaving behind that tag and be acceptable in their newer forms?

I mean, a religious person might argue that the answer is YES when talking about the Church... and I'm sure there are many, many more examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    She apologized

https://twitter.com/d_yastremska/sta...080637952?s=21

Drop, I would like to think intelligent people can discuss history in a nuanced manner, especially a bunch of smarty pants like us TATeurs.

omess, obviously this was a young woman who didn't have an understanding of blackface as it relates to American history. I would have preferred to see Twitter educate her rather than tear her down. But Twitter is what it is.

There is always more than one path to discussing and understanding, and reading this story reminded me of this one from yesterday.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/us/de...rnd/index.html
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

I may be wrong, but now that I've seen the photo and the comments by her and others, I am almost positive that she meant this in a totally appropriate way. She was trying to make a statement about loving one another despite differences. It was not at all a good idea if one understands the history of the usage of blackface. But she almost certainly did not understand that and thought that she was making a simple and beautiful statement. I can forgive her completely, though I hope she learned not to do it again. Far worse mistakes have been made in the history of the world. GH

There's a lot worse on Twitter let alone in the real world than this. I'm just sad that we manufacture scandals out of so little.
    Roger forever

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    There's a lot worse on Twitter let alone in the real world than this. I'm just sad that we manufacture scandals out of so little.
    If it turns into a scandal it is her fault . She initially refused to take it down

Well, not smart in the current climate for sure. But is that really a blackface? Or perhaps I don't know what a "proper" blackface looks like
    Definitely a black arm.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

If it turns into a scandal it is her fault . She initially refused to take it down

But why should she? She wasn't familiar with the background it has in one place in the world (which she isn't from). So if someone had to explain it to her, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Furthermore, she could have said, "I get it but I didn't mean it in that manner and I feel no need to take it down. The rest of the world doesn't see it the way you do."

Just for an example, let's suppose you had just offended me in your post because of some cultural issue here. First you wouldn't be responsible for a TAT-scandal, but secondly, even if I told you why I felt offended, you could say "I'm sorry and I didn't mean to offend, but I'm not going to review all my posts just to conform to your unique socio-cultural situation.". Of course you could also amend your posts, but the bottom line is that it'd be up to you, both would be reasonable paths maybe only differentiated by the level of empathy, the relation you have with the offended and the level of reason within my demand.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

^ Yes, it's very sad - but it's the popular thing to do today... to completely disregard context and common sense so that one can 'pile on' - because piling on is 'cool' today (and made much easier by the internet).

But why should she? She wasn't familiar with the background it has in one place in the world (which she isn't from). So if someone had to explain it to her, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Furthermore, she could have said, "I get it but I didn't mean it in that manner and I feel no need to take it down. The rest of the world doesn't see it the way you do."

Just for an example, let's suppose you had just offended me in your post because of some cultural issue here. First you wouldn't be responsible for a TAT-scandal, but secondly, even if I told you why I felt offended, you could say "I'm sorry and I didn't mean to offend, but I'm not going to review all my posts just to conform to your unique socio-cultural situation.". Of course you could also amend your posts, but the bottom line is that it'd be up to you, both would be reasonable paths maybe only differentiated by the level of empathy, the relation you have with the offended and the level of reason within my demand.
    ^ Absolutely. Intention and context are everything. If a person says or does something with absolutely no ill intention - and even with positive, healthy intention -, it is downright disgusting to ignore that intention and context just in order to do what is 'popular' at the time.
    Throwing a blanket over everything which on the surface appears similar is what I expect from stupid people, or from people who voluntarily refuse to use their brain to think, and instead just follow the crowd. This is how baseless prejudice is born. Intelligent people assess things (and people) individually, based on independent criteria like context and intention. But, sadly, most people are too lazy or too dishonest to use their brain to do that. Truth seems to matter less than does doing the 'popular' thing. I've said for a long time that the majority of people would follow the devil straight to hell if it were marketed well. People don't think. They follow. The internet has made this 1000 times worse than it ever was before due to the far reaching and rapid nature of it: stupidity and dishonesty can thus reach more people much more quickly than pre-internet.

Actions may speak louder than words... but intention and context speak loudest of all.
    And it's a damned and disgusting shame that the popular thing to do today is to completely disregard and ignore context and intention just to 'pile on'. In so doing, these people are doing precisely what they claim to be so strongly against: making judgments and assessments without obtaining all the relevant information.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 07-11-2020 at 01:03 AM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

But she didn’t, so it gave the impression she wasn’t completely ignorant thus the “scandal “. She spent a good hour deleting all the messages trying to explain it to her .

Forget Yastremska, she's not that important anyway. Better look at some more pictures

Karolina Pliskova

Roger forever

But she didn’t, so it gave the impression she wasn’t completely ignorant thus the “scandal “. She spent a good hour deleting all the messages trying to explain it to her .

Wait. The scandal is because she had it up for 60 minutes?! I mean, that's it?

So she was probably unaware of something and it took her all of 60' to hear about it, understand and recapacitate? Ridiculous. Plus, if the "teaching" was coming from Twitter/IG messages who can blame her? With the number of extremists, lunatics and trolls who like to preach, flame, whatever, it's completely understandable that one would at first dismiss that source as valid.

Why is it that we hold athletes (who by definition are many times not the most literate, educated, etc members society) to the standards of perfection? Why if we ourselves are far from perfect do we demand it of others, and worse, athletes?

Those are the questions we should be reflecting on.

Omess is saying she spent an hour deleting the posts of people trying to explain to her why the image was offensive. If she had time to do that she could've just said okay I didn't mean it that way and delete the image instead of trying to make it appear that no one was offended.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

To be fair I had a feeling before this incident that Yastremska not the sharpest tool in the box, nevertheless I see no great reason for piling on like this.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Omess is saying she spent an hour deleting the posts of people trying to explain to her why the image was offensive. If she had time to do that she could've just said okay I didn't mean it that way and delete the image instead of trying to make it appear that no one was offended.
    I understood Omess. Still, are we throwing someone under the bus for taking an hour to change her opinion?

Elena Vesnina

Simona Halep

Roger forever

Page 184 of 193 FirstFirst ... 84134159174180181182183184185186187188 ... LastLast