Agree Agree:  743
Likes Likes:  1,813
Page 218 of 218 FirstFirst ... 118168193208214215216217218
Results 3,256 to 3,265 of 3265

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    How hard do you find it to adapt your tennis strokes for Pickleball?
    Most of deep-in-the-court shots needed very little adaptation. My biggest problem was getting the timing right; initially I tended to swing too early. Note: my regular tennis level is 3.5, so some of my strokes do not have a lot of polish on them. Tennis players with more polished strokes might have a harder time adapting their strokes to pickleball, especially people with longer tennis strokes. I play a late-1970's style of tennis. I have no idea if someone with a lot of modern-day topspin al-a-Nadal would be able to adapt their tennis strokes for pickleball.

According to the rules, the first two shots after the service need to bounce before they are hit, i.e. ground strokes. After that, at least with the group I play with, you mostly try to play two-up doubles; so most of your shots are volleys. Tennis volleys are easier to adapt to pickleball than ground strokes.
    Last edited by dave g; Yesterday at 02:24 PM.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dave g View Post
    Most of deep-in-the-court shots needed very little adaptation. My biggest problem was getting the timing right; initially I tended to swing too early. Note: my regular tennis level is 3.5, so some of my strokes do not have a lot of polish on them. Tennis players with more polished strokes might have a harder time adapting their strokes to pickleball, especially people with longer tennis strokes. I play a late-1970's style of tennis. I have no idea if someone with a lot of modern-day topspin al-a-Nadal would be able to adapt their tennis strokes for pickleball.
    Cool! I have a short backswing on my FH, and I hit it very flat, yet the one time I played pickleball, my biggest challenge was avoiding hitting the ball long consistently. And never got around to generate enough topspin to my satisfaction.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Nobody posted it, but I saw it. The most unbelievable net ever.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I always thought badminton was wimpy. Until I played with people that were at a higher level. It is one hell of a good exercise.
    ^ I had exactly the same experience...
    At the place where I was working at the time, we would go across the street to the school gym to 'unwind' at times. One time, we played badminton. My boss was an Olympic athlete (track & field) - but, hey - I was a tennis player, and badminton is so much slower and easier than tennis, so I would obviously beat everyone in badminton.
    Then I got a lesson in how badminton is actually played. My boss had me running all over - he had me on a string. It wasn't close. Never in my wildest dreams did I believe that one could become completely exhausted playing badminton - until I experienced it.

Quote Originally Posted by dave g View Post

According to the rules, the first two shots after the service need to bounce before they are hit, i.e. ground strokes. After that, at least with the group I play with, you mostly try to play two-up doubles; so most of your shots are volleys. Tennis volleys are easier to adapt to pickleball than ground strokes.
    ^ I play tennis at a 4.5 level, and I adapted to pickleball like a duck to water. I was surprised how natural it was for me. I, too, play 'old style' tennis - no heavy spins, etc.

I had friends who were trying to convince me to try pickleball for 2 years. I resisted, without much interest. But last summer (2019), I found a sort of league that played 5 minutes from me - for free. I was curious, so I went and watched one night. It was the first time I'd seen pickleball being played. In watching it, I didn't think I'd like playing it. A few days later, I tried it. I loved it. I was beating everyone in the league from the get-go. I hit tennis groundstrokes, of course, in pickleball - and it worked. This year, I moved up to an advanced league (there was no room remaining in the advanced league last year). I'm not the best player in the advanced league, but I'm in the top 5. My ultimate goal is to become good enough to be able to have an influence in the sport, and when that is accomplished, I will change the damned name of the sport - because it's impossible for anyone to take a sport named pickleball seriously!

Yes, there is less running in pickleball than there is in tennis. But you need faster reflexes. Hitting those volleys back & forth when all 4 players are at the net is a challenge. It's also a challenge to lob, because the court isn't as long as a tennis court.
    Pickleball is like a mix between tennis and ping pong (table tennis). It's like playing ping pong on the ground - but with volleys.
    I still play - and love - tennis. Tennis will always be my first love. But I like pickleball a whole lot. I view it very much as a competitive sport, not a social one. I play to win. We play a ladder format in the advanced league, and when I don't end the evening on the #1 court, I'm quite pissed off.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Have you guys played PADDLE? It is very popular in Argentina, and I don't know if we are talking the same thing.
    It is played with (what else?) a paddle "racquet", with no strings. A very thick board with holes on the face, and you use the same ball as in tennis. Behind the baseline, you have walls from which you can get the ball back after it bounces.
    Just searched for your racquets. Similar but not the same, as is the court.
    So another variation indeed.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Have you guys played PADDLE? It is very popular in Argentina, and I don't know if we are talking the same thing.
    It is played with (what else?) a paddle "racquet", with no strings. A very thick board with holes on the face, and you use the same ball as in tennis. Behind the baseline, you have walls from which you can get the ball back after it bounces.
    Is it the same as platform tennis? I've seen that here - seems like paddle - but it is super niche, not very popular. Seems to be primarly a nighttime winter thing in Indy, even though it's outdoors. Four players, smaller tennis court enclosed in tall fence paddle instead of a racket - somewhere between tennis and pickleball.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Indeed. I think the base country is Spain however.

I "played" with a pro in RG where they had a mini court for kids as part of the off-court attractions. I was like Karlovic in the line
    Meet again we do, old foe...

The club I play at converted a couple of clay courts into 3 padel courts. They got a commitment from some players in the Dallas area that they would use the courts if built. In general the courts usually seem to be full and there is a small but growing number of people playing.

My understanding is that padel is popular in Spain, and a lot of the players playing are from Spanish speaking countries. The club has sponsored a number of padel tournaments, and they have gotten the tennis pros interested in the game. From the little I have watched, it is less of a power game than tennis (someone hits a smash and the other side plays the ball after it ricochets off the back wall and calmly puts it back into play). The ball has to bounce in the other court before hitting a wall, but the best tactic seems to be to keep the ball low, and make it bounce just before a back or side wall. I would like to try playing some time, but I have enough trouble trying to keep my tennis skills up.

Petra in Prague

Roger forever

Page 218 of 218 FirstFirst ... 118168193208214215216217218