Agree Agree:  634
Likes Likes:  1,521
Page 174 of 185 FirstFirst ... 74124149164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 2765
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    But what about curling players?

Kevin
    They've got two houses wherever they play! (This is a curling joke)

Actually, they're lucky if they can afford one house.

Woody, What a perfect answer!!!

But, believe it or not, there is an answer to Kevin's question. And this answer is for USA, because curling has always been different and far more advanced in Canada.

So for USA: Prior to about 10 years ago or so, and certainly prior to curling being in the Olympics, curling teams (also called "rinks") were always made up of local groups. So even the best teams in the country would be 4 men or 4 women who lived within a few miles of each other. Now that we have a limited number of teams that are in the "elite athlete programs" of the USOC, the teams that compete internationally are the best curlers put together from all over the country. There is still a plethora of curlers from Minnesota and Wisconsin, but now there are very prominent ones who live in Charlotte, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and other places. So they do a lot of traveling to be able to train with their teams, all aside from the traveling to compete. What I've heard most is that they stay with a friend or with some host family when they are in the city where they train (quite often somewhere in Minnesota, still). I'm not aware of any who have 2 houses or even an extra small apartment in order to do this. And yes, part of that would be the "they're lucky if they can afford one house" concept.

I know that elite teams in Canada are also sometimes involving players who travel to play on that team, but for specifics, we need for skatingfan or PT to chime in.

GH

P.S. Some of you have got to be rolling your eyes about how easy it is to get some of us off topic and onto curling.

Short answer... for the National/Provincial championships you are allowed to "import" one player from out of province to be on your team. There is much bending of rules though as to who is eligible, most famously Rachel Homan's team where I think only one player was living in Ontario... and at least one was "maintaining a residence" in Ontario to remain eligible.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/w...ials-1.5007289

I won't include much more (see link if interested) but I will point out that the other teams, upset that Homan's team was considered eligible, voted to give her team the Sportsmanship award to mock the system...curlers can be petty too!
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

PT, I had not heard a word about this, so that was a totally fascinating read. Those who think curling is always a genteel sport with no controversy should read this.

Keeping in mind that I know nothing that was not in that article: Once the curling federation decides that a team is eligible for a competition, I do not think it is good sportsmanship for other people or teams to blame the team in question, if the others do not feel they should have been declared eligible. And, it does sound like a few things crossed the line into "bullying". If those others think she should not be eligible, there must be a way to appeal that with the federation. Yelling things at Rachel will solve nothing.

Interestingly, there is absolutely no parallel to this in US curling. There are no state-residence requirements. So the only residence requirements are for national eligibility. One must hold a US passport to compete for the US at the Olympics. Jamie Sinclair is a dual citizen (also Canadian), but any problems with her residency, if they ever existed, must have been ironed out years ago, since she has been playing internationally for the US for some time.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Woody, What a perfect answer!!!

But, believe it or not, there is an answer to Kevin's question. And this answer is for USA, because curling has always been different and far more advanced in Canada.

So for USA: Prior to about 10 years ago or so, and certainly prior to curling being in the Olympics, curling teams (also called "rinks") were always made up of local groups. So even the best teams in the country would be 4 men or 4 women who lived within a few miles of each other. Now that we have a limited number of teams that are in the "elite athlete programs" of the USOC, the teams that compete internationally are the best curlers put together from all over the country. There is still a plethora of curlers from Minnesota and Wisconsin, but now there are very prominent ones who live in Charlotte, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and other places. So they do a lot of traveling to be able to train with their teams, all aside from the traveling to compete. What I've heard most is that they stay with a friend or with some host family when they are in the city where they train (quite often somewhere in Minnesota, still). I'm not aware of any who have 2 houses or even an extra small apartment in order to do this. And yes, part of that would be the "they're lucky if they can afford one house" concept.

I know that elite teams in Canada are also sometimes involving players who travel to play on that team, but for specifics, we need for skatingfan or PT to chime in.

GH

P.S. Some of you have got to be rolling your eyes about how easy it is to get some of us off topic and onto curling.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Short answer... for the National/Provincial championships you are allowed to "import" one player from out of province to be on your team. There is much bending of rules though as to who is eligible, most famously Rachel Homan's team where I think only one player was living in Ontario... and at least one was "maintaining a residence" in Ontario to remain eligible.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/w...ials-1.5007289

I won't include much more (see link if interested) but I will point out that the other teams, upset that Homan's team was considered eligible, voted to give her team the Sportsmanship award to mock the system...curlers can be petty too!
    John Morris is another who has taken advantage of this weakness from Curling Canada - he's from Ontario, has a cottage residence in Quebec, a probable residence in Alberta, an imaginary 'residence' in B.C., and has played for Ontario, Alberta and B.C. - and now Alberta again.
    Not to mention Adam Casey and Ryan Fry, who seem to be competing with each other as to who can play for all 10 provinces and 3 territories the soonest.

The system is an absolute farce, with Curling Canada showing no courage whatsoever. It's a rule on paper only. In reality, they allow so many loopholes that it's absurd.
    As for Rachel - I used to like her a lot. Then she showed her true colours in the Olympics - very bad sportsmanship.
    As for her team and others taking advantage of the loopholes in this rule - I do blame them as much as I blame Curling Canada. There's no integrity in taking advantage of weak rules for your own benefit. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Find Coco's statements regarding the protests. Her game is far above 16. And it seems the entire girl is above 16 too.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Petra Martic

Marketa Vondrousova

Roger forever

Simona

Roger forever

I am not terribly fond of cosmetic surgery. But by now, it is so common that one can no longer decry it. So, Simona, a little retouching on the nose.
    Also. What watch is that? How do you read the time in that thing? (Astrological/Metaphysical/Mystic time )

That watch is horrible. Remember Simona wanted to do something to her nose a couple of years ago and there was an uproar.

Speaking of plastic surgery Jelena Jankovic's new face is, uh, interesting.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

I hope she got her money back

Other than ornamentation, I don't understand the point of watches anymore.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 06-06-2020 at 05:44 PM.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Tennis players are very popular with watch sponsors, so I imagine she's being paid to wear it.

The point is the same as having a Bentley. Status symbol (and I do like watches )

Interesting article about former American player Brian Vahaly and the LGBT+ activism he has brought to the USTA Board of Directors

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/bria...ture-june-2020
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Page 174 of 185 FirstFirst ... 74124149164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast