Likes Likes:  1,689
Page 203 of 203 FirstFirst ... 103153178193199200201202203
Results 3,031 to 3,041 of 3041
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Has this been posted? Naomi’s boyfriend flipping the bird while posing with her and the trophy inside Arthur Ashe?

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/us-open-...204907180.html

It's really disrespectful to her that he did that. But, man, a lot of these reactions (how is it "sickening?") are really problematic.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

https://twitter.com/christophclarey/...034958341?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    At first glance, I read that headline as Aim for the Face!

I'm going to guess she didn't take a single step in those heels
    her agent must have been right out of frame ready to catch her
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Naomi in a recent photo shoot

she's an editorial dream. Would love to see the rest.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Ah, what a great reminder that behind every great woman, there stands a jerk
    (Talking about the "flipping the bird" shot, not her)
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Zarina Diyas
    September 17, 2020

“At 18, I had shoulder surgery and did not play tennis for seven months. At 23, I had wrist surgery and did not play for nine months. The next year, I returned to the Top 50 but then I tore a ligament in my knee. When I returned to the court, I was in a lot of pain. Then my close friend passed away. I lost mental and physical energy to train and started to have stomach pain. I continued to play but I had this pain in my stomach and was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. I lost a lot of weight and suddenly I was scared to eat because I could not tolerate normal food. Training and competing with pain became really difficult. I fought through my pain in practice and matches because tennis helped me get through this time. It was really tough but I never felt like I wanted to give up. The support of my family, friends and team helped as well. It took me a year to manage my stomach issues and figure out a new diet. These difficult times made me stronger. Now, I am trying to stay positive through the pandemic and train at home. I am not at home often so this is a nice time to be with my family.”

Zarina Diyas (@zarinadiyas)

“No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Stefanos Tsitsipas
    July 30, 2020

“In 2018, I broke into the Top 15 and was seeded in Grand Slams. That’s when I understood my potential. In the beginning, I traveled with only my dad. Now, I travel with my dad, mom, and three siblings. I’m the main source of income for my family.

I have hobbies that keep me interested in different aspects of life. These activities keep me creative and are reflected in my tennis game and presence on court. Sometimes, I post things on my social media that not many people understand. These posts express my inner creativity. I’m just trying to be different from the rest. I put Stefanos’ twist on life. I am philosophical, I come from a country with a history of philosophy and I don’t know if I was Pythagoras or Socrates in my previous life, but I wouldn’t mind being either one.

There was a time when I wasn’t doing well. I started to play futures and was doubting myself. I wasn’t sure if I was good enough to play professional tennis. My country was going through hard times. Greece was on the verge of bankruptcy. The entire population was suffering. My father’s siblings were unemployed and couldn’t feed their families. People looked at me like I was the one ruling the country and they thought I was part of the problem.

I felt isolated. I wasn’t home to see what was going on because I was traveling. I needed support. My mental coach shared his wisdom and inspired me. Then I said to myself, ‘You’ve dedicated your entire life to tennis, you can’t just give up. You’ve got to keep going.’ I play tennis to prove that my country has a great history and can achieve success. Tennis is a very introverted sport and we face everything alone. We have a team that follows us all over the world but I have spent countless sleepless nights on my own. All the traveling and competing causes a lot of stress and I grew very lonely.

I was an introverted child and I didn’t have many friends. When I first started playing on tour, I thought I would develop friendships but it turned out to be the opposite. Most players keep to themselves. I feel like players don’t want to become friends because they think someone will grab a secret from you to beat you. I guess they’re just too serious about the whole thing. Friends would make traveling less lonely. “

– Stefanos Tsitsipas (@stefanostsitsipas98)

David Goffin
    September 10, 2020

“I have been traveling since age 12. When I was 18, I met my girlfriend while she was at the University of Ličge. I hardly saw her because I was constantly traveling. My family and friends understood what I was doing, but I missed them, especially when I lost matches or went through tough periods. During those times, you want to spend time with family but you have to go back to working hard on the court. Without the support of my family, being on tour would have been tough.

They were times in my childhood when I wanted a normal life. I was far from home and sometimes I just wanted to be with friends. When I was at the Belgian Tennis Federation, I didn’t spend time with my friends at school because I had to practice as soon as I was done with classes. But it was fun to play tournaments and compete against young players from other countries. When I stepped on the court, I was happy because I was practicing my passion.

The toughest part of my career has been my confidence. When you come back from injury, your body is not feeling one hundred percent. You start to overthink your shots so you struggle with your game and lose matches.It’s never easy to deal with the media because if you play well, they are behind you. But if you have a tough period, the media starts to doubt you. I don’t read what the media says about me anymore. You have to find your own happiness on tour. Sometimes it comes from a hard practice or a tough match. If you don’t like the process, it is very tough because you are constantly traveling and have many hard moments. You have to find something else that makes you happy if your ranking drops. Only your love of tennis can carry you through.

When I was a junior player, I knew I wanted to play on tour. I was very small when I was young so I had to add special qualities to my game. Then I started to grow and become stronger. I played Futures events and faced players that were 15 years older. I started to win matches that I didn’t expect to win. The 2017 World Tour Finals was an incredible tournament for me. Going into the event, I was just happy to be there. My first match, I beat Rafael Nadal then I beat Roger Federer in the semi-final match. I lost in the finals but I was on top of one of the biggest tournaments in the world. I enjoyed that moment very much. It was an amazing experience. I believed in myself and now I am in the Top 10.”

David Goffin (@david_goffin)

Naomi's collection, ADEAM x Naomi Osaka, the one that had the runway early this year, went live the other day. There's more to the collection than this, these are the ones with pictures that she is in.

Roberto Bautista Agut and his wife Ana just welcomed a healthy baby. Mom and baby are doing well.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Regarding Naomi's boyfriend and the photo... It's both sad and pathetic that many young people today are so incredibly desperate for attention that they make absolutely no distinction between positive attention and negative attention. Of course, the internet - and 'social media' in particular - has exacerbated this in providing everyone with a stage by which they can get their '15 minutes of fame'.
    It's obvious - and very worrisome - that '15 minutes' doesn't seem to be nearly enough for today's youth, though; the more attention they get, the more attention they crave. And, unfortunately, they'll do pretty much anything to get it.

One of the comments in the story is correct - Naomi, you can do better than this guy. I hope that one day soon she realizes that she deserves better.

As an aside - did any of you see the headlines on the right-hand side of that article? Every second word of those 'Yahoo sports' headlines has the words 'shocking!', 'drama!', 'unreal!', 'insane!'. Again - more desperate seeking of attention.
    We're in big trouble.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Page 203 of 203 FirstFirst ... 103153178193199200201202203