Agree Agree:  75
Likes Likes:  175
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
    cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Tiafoe is so handsome, look at the smile! And he has a great story behind him. He can be so good for US tennis if he gets in the top ten

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Tiafoe is so handsome, look at the smile! And he has a great story behind him. He can be so good for US tennis if he gets in the top ten
    Yeah, handsome, funny, great personality. Hope he finds his best game. Iím not sure what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

I was watching NBA coverage recently and someone said something along the lines of Jeff Van Gundy, of the "famous Van Gundy family in basketball" and I was like, yeah, they are. A father who was a small time college coach who taught his boys the game resulting in two brothers who served as head coaches of major NBA teams, both getting teams to the Finals. And seeing Ryan Harrison in this picture reminded me that I'm still legitimately confused about the so-called fame of the Harrison family in tennis. Anyone who wants to enlighten me, please feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I was watching NBA coverage recently and someone said something along the lines of Jeff Van Gundy, of the "famous Van Gundy family in basketball" and I was like, yeah, they are. A father who was a small time college coach who taught his boys the game resulting in two brothers who served as head coaches of major NBA teams, both getting teams to the Finals. And seeing Ryan Harrison in this picture reminded me that I'm still legitimately confused about the so-called fame of the Harrison family in tennis. Anyone who wants to enlighten me, please feel free.
    I'm still baffled at the journalist who said something like "Yes, THAT Harrison family." I have absolutely no knowledge of anything the parents do. Since Ryan's brother is a player too, I suppose it makes sense that they're wealthy and have ties to the tennis world.

I looked up Ryan's Wikipedia. His dad/coach was semi-professional for a while, and there's also a younger sister who is a college player. None of that is remarkable to me.

Kei Nishikori and Richard Krajicek, aging very well, looks better than when he played imo.

Two legends doing promotion for Laver Cup in Geneva. Look at that tailoring through the shoulders on Roger. That's why you spend the money.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Yes, although how many tournaments did Roger enter in 2003 and 2004? 23 and 17. The lesson - once you have a season like Fed in 2003 time to slow down a bit. Probably not before...
    I don't mind that barometer. In 2003 he won one slam and finished #2. I'd say if a young player makes a slam final and qualifies for the WTF, it's time to take a long hard look at the non-mandatory tournaments you're playing.

The main thing is: I think 250s are pretty unacceptable at a certain level, or at least not more than one. Wozniacki and Thiem have both played tournaments where being runner-up wouldn't even add ranking points, and winning wouldn't barely add anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I think emulating Federer in ANY aspect is not a good recipe for anybody else. The truth is: they are not him. Roger can take off a few months, come back, and be ready to compete for the trophy after two matches. So far, we have not seen anybody else being able to do so.
    (Sampras was another player that was surprisingly fast at getting in peak form easily. And even he had problems at the 1994 USO)
    Well they certainly shouldn't emulate him now. Don't skip the clay season or anything.

His general schedule strategy used to be: set up a little break after the AO and Wimbledon, around a month. Another notable strategy is setting up pretty brutal training camps in tough conditions. Those are the things I think can be considered by anyone who doesn't worry about money.

One example: Paire said he always plays tournaments because he'd rather do that than train. To me, it says that he doesn't take his training seriously enough. It also says that he's showing up at tournaments without minding if he loses first round. That's a problem.

Another example: players who don't peak at slams. If a player has tons of tournaments on their schedule, and consistently isn't performing their best at slams, it's time to make them a more obvious focal point. I think Davydenko and Radwanska both suffered from that. I'd get Zverev and Svitolina to put some thought into that now.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Sharapova wonít be playing Indian Wells. Surely her retirement isnít far off now

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss that topic, but I don't think she's retiring anytime soon.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    I had to look up who jinxed him ... lost last night to Jason Jung
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

I guess Thiem is a spokesman or something close to it for Kia Austria

I totally missed this Safin interview. I'll post the link (it's in Russian) but here is how one man summed it up:

Oleg S.
    ‏@AnnaK_4ever

Marat Safin:
    I have no girlfriend. I have no wife. I have no daughter. I have no friends. I don't want relationships. I have two cats. There's no God. We are not alone in the universe.

(from his big and...uhmm...weird interview in Russian) https://t.co/YbXfjNQZaY
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I totally missed this Safin interview. I'll post the link (it's in Russian) but here is how one man summed it up:
    Haha I miss him

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I hadn't really thought much about it before, but I've watched skiing on and off the last couples of weeks and some of these skiing legends are recluses, and they said it so casually that I'm thinking it's not unusual. So I'd probably think this was way more strange, but I've been thinking that maybe life in the spotlight for so many years pushes more than we know into seclusion for a good while after.

Presumably recent picture of Marat from the article Ti posted above. Still looking good.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819