Agree Agree:  175
Likes Likes:  498
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 833485455565758

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Yes, I am biased with Garbiñe. I like her a lot. She is my favorite WTA player.
    And if you don't see criticism of Svitolin or Konta here in the forum it is because Svitolina is still top ten and Konta has been playing really well. Which, when she was not, was regularly criticized.
    I continue to be confused with how she can possibly be your favorite. As for Konta and Svitolina, they were criticized for on-court play and results, not time spent modeling, which is the criticism I'm referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

Venus looking fantastic. I think this is part of a shoot she did for something called "Modern Luxury"
    She looks fab. That's a lifestyle magazine.

Tsitsipas, Maria Sakkari and Alizé Cornet
    via his Twitter
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I am loving that Stefanos and Maria are friends. I assume Greece is just loving all this sports excellence at the moment.

Yes, I am biased with Garbiñe. I like her a lot. She is my favorite WTA player.
    And if you don't see criticism of Svitolin or Konta here in the forum it is because Svitolina is still top ten and Konta has been playing really well. Which, when she was not, was regularly criticized.
    I don't think there's any connection between the photo shoots and results. Players are used to managing their time with all kinds of off-court activities. I have no reason to believe Muguruza isn't spending enough time on the practice court. I don't think that's her issue.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Venus is unrecognizable as they just airbrushed her age away. I like her with her age showing.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I continue to be confused with how she can possibly be your favorite.
    I’m sure it helps that she’s half Venezolana. She’s one of my favorites too.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    I’m sure it helps that she’s half Venezolana. She’s one of my favorites too.
    Mine, too, although if she's going to be mostly off, like the last year and a half, I can't be invested.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

My Garbiñe crush has nothing to do with her being 1/2 Venezuelan. It has to do with the fact that she is a dead ringer for my very first GF. Plus: I like her style of play, I like her IG posts (my GF follows her, as I am not in social media) and I think she is a nice person.
    And I have explained this before. The fact that I like somebody does not mean I cannot be critical of them. JazzNu and I had a 1/2 page discussion in the NBA thread about Kawhi Leonard in which she felt I was always putting Kawhi down. It turns out that Kawhi is my favorite player, but I thought he handled his departure from the Spurs in the wrong way. My opinion, which does not take away from my love of his game. I am rooting for him and the Raptors in the East.
    I love Rafa but there is no way I cannot admit his on court coaching from Tony. I loved Henin but there is no way I am not going to admit that the "Hand Thing" at RG against Serena was low. I dislike Sharapova (and I dislike her a lot) but I am not going to not admit what she did with Puig in Puerto Rico was a grand gesture. And I love Roger but there is no way that the moment he does something awful I will not call him for it. So far, he refuses to do anything less than majestic so, good for him. I try to be objective. I try.
    So, back to Garbie. Svitolina was doing a shoot for one sponsor. Konta was doing one for a sponsor too. Garbie is frequently doing photo shoots for magazines, which she is under no obligation to do. And even if it only takes a few hours, she is at a stage in her career in which any two time Slam champion should be on court a lot more, if she is at age 25 in danger of dropping out of seeding positions. She is too good to be #19.
    Starry starry night

Woz at a speedway event. I have no idea what that means. Fastbackss probably does.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Borna with Simona, Karo and Elina.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    At some event in Zurich. If you live under a rook, that's Hugh Jackman with Roger.
    I'm terrible at chess.

So, back to Garbie. Svitolina was doing a shoot for one sponsor. Konta was doing one for a sponsor too. Garbie is frequently doing photo shoots for magazines, which she is under no obligation to do. And even if it only takes a few hours, she is at a stage in her career in which any two time Slam champion should be on court a lot more, if she is at age 25 in danger of dropping out of seeding positions. She is too good to be #19.
    You and I have different definitions of frequently. And we definitely disagree that every waking moment of her existence needs to be on-court or training to be on-court. I'm just guessing if she went to lunch or dinner with friends and saw the latest blockbuster on a Saturday, it wouldn't draw the same criticism as taking that same amount of time and doing a photo shoot that turns into a magazine spread.

And in case it wasn't clear, those Konta and Svitolina photos were quick recent examples to show that others do promos and things away from the court as well. I understand you're not on social media, but by no means do we post all that the players do on here. They do way more than what I posted, so do the others. Those are just quick examples. I was just saying, the claim that Garbine is doing "way more" than others is objectively false. They all do brand ambassador stuff if they well known or successful enough. Some are big enough to do magazines, some are trying to get big enough to do magazines. Clearly Elina is already there. Petra just did a magazine shoot that came out last month, I just didn't post it since I saw it late. Caro on her own makes the claim false.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Love the pics of Vee.

Also, is that the best Konta has EVER dressed? My memories of her outfits is “Holly Hobby meets Betsey Johnson”

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

Woz at a speedway event. I have no idea what that means. Fastbackss probably does.
    I appreciate the comment - but I didn't know for sure! The cushioned blocks and general shape led me to believe that it was motorcycle racing. That appears to be correct - and the season for that group started last weekend in Warsaw.

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 833485455565758