Agree Agree:  393
Likes Likes:  1,098
Page 123 of 127 FirstFirst ... 237398113119120121122123124125126127 LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 1894

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by texasniteowl View Post
    Well, there was a bit where the surgeon was saying something about what would you do if I told you there's a x% chance you could destroy the hip within x years if you play. Was that real? Not sure. It was towards the end obviously if you watch it again.
    Guessing he'll have a total hip replacement at some point in his life.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Roger Federer to become first living person to be celebrated on Swiss coins

Switzerland's 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer will become the first living person to be celebrated on a coin in the country.

The Federal Mint, Swissmint, will release a 20 Swiss francs silver commemorative coin in January.

It plans to add a Federer SFr50 gold coin in May.

"Thank you Switzerland and Swissmint for this incredible honour and privilege," said the 38-year-old world number three.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/50631700

November 27, 2019

“Would you ever call Rafa Nadal too emotional?” Exclusive interview with Danielle Collins as she talks about sexism in tennis

Danielle Collins is surprised whenever anyone comments on her fiery on-court approach. As the 25-year-old American explains to Paul Newman, she sees it as an example of tennis sexism

Danielle Collins does not hold back on the tennis court. The 25-year-old American, who made her big breakthrough with her run to the semi-finals of the Australian Open in January, is a ferocious competitor who can be very vocal on court and says she likes to make tennis matches “a war”. However, do not try suggesting to her that she can be too emotional or feisty.

“I heard one female commentator say that a female player was too emotional,” Collins says, a look of scorn spreading across her face. “Would you ever call Rafa Nadal too emotional? Then I get called ‘feisty’ all the time. That’s not a term of endearment by any means. I embrace it because I don’t care, but I think ‘feisty’ is a very sexist term. Imagine calling Nadal feisty. How silly does that sound?”

Danielle Collins, as you can see, is different. Unlike many of the world’s leading players, she was not a child prodigy who was immersed in tennis from an early age. Coming from a family she describes as “lower middle-class”, Collins learned the game on public courts in her home city of St Petersburg in Florida rather than at a fancy academy.

She then spent four years at the University of Virginia, where she put just as much emphasis on her media studies as she did on her tennis. By the end of her time there she had won two National Collegiate Athletic Association titles, the ultimate prize in US university tennis.

After turning professional at the age of 22, Danielle Collins made rapid progress. World No 299 at the end of 2016, she was up to No 167 within 12 months and at No 36 by the end of 2018. At this year’s Australian Open she beat three higher-ranked players in Angelique Kerber, Julia Goerges and Caroline Garcia before losing to Petra Kvitova in the semi-finals.

Collins thinks that playing college tennis – “which is very vocal” – has contributed to her fiery attitude on court but at the same time fails to see “why it’s even that big a subject”.

She explained: “So many times after my matches I watch what happened and I listen to the commentator complaining about me saying ‘C’mon!’ But we’re playing a sport. It’s competition. What do they want me to do? Bow down and do a curtsy?

“I find it so intriguing how it’s been kind of controversial in some ways, because we’re playing a sport. It’s competition. You make it a war. Think about a soccer match or an [American] football match. Would you ever hear somebody say: ‘Oh, that person’s too competitive or too aggressive or too vocal?’ It would never happen, because it’s a sport. For whatever reason there are a lot of sensitive people in the tennis world. Maybe it’s a bit country club-esque.”

Danielle Collins believes sexism is a major issue in tennis and thinks the media have a major role to play in combating it. “I remember when I was little and the Williams sisters were coming up,” she said. “People were so rattled by how hard they would compete. But they were competing, they were fighting, they were working hard. What is wrong with that? Then the media would always gravitate towards the person that’s more well-liked, or a sweet and quiet woman who doesn’t really say much.

“I don’t want my little cousins and nieces to be turning on the TV and hearing about how a female player is being too emotional or feisty. Let’s get over it.”

Collins, who is from a family of strong women, appointed a female coach earlier this year. Her choice might have surprised some people. While nobody would doubt Betsy Nagelsen McCormack’s tennis credentials, the 62-year-old American and former Australian Open doubles champion had not been actively involved in top-flight tennis for a number of years. However, as a fellow native of St Petersburg she has known Collins for many years.

“Even though she played a while ago she understands what it’s like playing Grand Slams,” Collins said. “She understands the pressures of travelling and the day-to-day lifestyle.

“With her being a woman I think she also understands me on a deeper level too. Nothing against male coaches, but especially if they didn’t play professional tennis they’re not able to empathise or understand what’s going through your brain because they just haven’t been in that situation before. That doesn’t mean they can’t be good coaches, but it’s just not the same.

“I really like working with Betsy. She’s been such a great mentor. Aside from being a great coach she’s a wonderful person and human being and does so many amazing things. I call her ‘the Pope’. She’s like the Pope. She doesn’t have a mean bone in her body.”

Collins is glad that she chose to go to university rather than dive headlong into professional tennis as a teenager. “I don’t think I was ready to turn pro when I was younger, just from a maturity standpoint,” she said. “I also wanted to get an education.

“I wouldn’t have been happy if I had turned pro at 17 or 18. There are a lot of players who when they were little their parents made them into these child prodigies. It’s not their choice. That’s just the way they were brought up.

“I’m glad that everything has been on my terms. It hasn’t been on my parents’ terms. I’ve gotten to make the choices on my own, what I want to do with my life. I think most kids that turn pro when they’re under 18, I don’t think that’s necessarily their choice. It’s their parents’ choice.”

She added: “Very few players make it to the top. If you’ve got a lot of money or if your federation helps you, go for it. But if, like me, you don’t come from a wealthy family, taking that gamble is not the right decision in my opinion.”

Danielle Collins thinks that not having everything put on a plate for her from an early age has made her “a little bit more humble”. She explained: “I don’t have that kind of arrogance, that feeling that I’ve always been very good. I think a lot of players, because they’ve always been really good at tennis and they knew from a young age that they were going to be something special, they think that because they’re a tennis player that makes them maybe different from other people in the world. And it really doesn’t. Because you take that away and they’re just a normal person as well.

“I’m really happy that I didn’t fall into that trap because you can have a lot of success playing tennis and you can make a lot of money, but at the end of the day I think you want to try to be the best that you can be outside the tennis court.”

That determination to lead a rounded life has not diminished since Collins turned professional. For example, she loves art and for a birthday treat at the end of last year spent four days at the Art Basel show in Miami.

She also has her own jewellery brand. She is involved in all aspects of her jewellery business, but it is the creative side that particularly interests her.

“When you’re on tour it’s hard to be able to have something [away from tennis] that you really enjoy but I’ve found that with jewellery,” she said. “I will see something and think: ‘Oh, I want to make that into a necklace.’ Or I’ll just have little parts of my brain that go off and then I’ll draw or sketch something out and perhaps send it to a jeweller and then they’ll make it.”

Just as in plenty of other aspects of her life, Collins has achieved success through her own efforts. “I’m the one that has had to scrap for everything that I have,” she said. “It’s not been easy at times.”

https://tennishead.net/would-you-eve...ism-in-tennis/
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    November 27, 2019

“Would you ever call Rafa Nadal too emotional?” Exclusive interview with Danielle Collins as she talks about sexism in tennis
    Sigh... People are critical of her obnoxiousness, not her intensity (ie, feistiness, emotions). Obnoxiousness is gender-less, although I'm sure there's some sexism in what's permitted from women versus men. (To me personally, feisty is a compliment. I'm sure other people have used it to her as an insult, and she's right about that being sexist.)

Someone who played with Collins all four years at Virginia confirmed the reputation.

She has rubbed me the wrong way a few times, but when I think about it, there's more about her to like than dislike.

As an aside, I'm surprised more college tennis players on the tour aren't as obnoxious as she is, because they scream and shout so much during NCAA matches. The dynamic is so different than a pro match - as she said, it's very "vocal" - like bellowing out that you've gotten a break so that all your teammates will hear it. I mean shrieking. I'm sure some players are worse than others, but it seems to be the prevailing style.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 12-02-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Sigh... People are critical of her obnoxiousness, not her intensity (ie, feistiness, emotions). Obnoxiousness is gender-less, although I'm sure there's some sexism in what's permitted from women versus men.

Someone who played with Collins all four years at Virginia confirmed the reputation.

As an aside, I'm surprised more college tennis players on the tour aren't as obnoxious as she is, because they scream and shout so much during NCAA matches. The dynamic is so different than a pro match - at least at the college matches I've seen, which admittedly is only a dozen or so. But I'm told that's typical - like bellowing out that you've gotten a break so that all your teammates will hear it. I mean shrieking. I'm sure some players are worse than others, but it seems to be the prevailing style.
    You phrased this very well. The behavior that got her noticed was ovnoxious. I think she's been "spoken to" because she hasn't done what she did vs Kerber in quite some time.

The article says that she majored in media. I guess this is her trying to rehab her image.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

I'm vaguely aware of Collins reputation, but honestly she hasn't achieved enough for me to notice her much.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    I'm vaguely aware of Collins reputation, but honestly she hasn't achieved enough for me to notice her much.
    Or to compare herself to Rafa. In any way.

'What a day!' - Wedding bells ring for Kiki Bertens
    World No.9 Kiki Bertens capped a year-long engagement with a late-November wedding to coach Remko de Rijke.

By WTA Staff

via @WTA

With her second consecutive Top 10 season on the WTA all wrapped up, Dutch star Kiki Bertens celebrated a momentous occasion in her personal life during the off-season.

The World No.9 took to Instagram to announce her wedding to Dutch tennis coach Remko de Rijke, which took place on Saturday, November 30th.

The 27-year-old, who reached a career-high ranking of World No.4 earlier this year, ended last season by announcing her engagement to de Rijke. 12 months later, the powerful server tied the knot with her countryman, who has also served as part of Bertens’ team as a physiotherapist, fitness coach and hitting partner.

"What a day!!" captioned the top-ranked Dutchwoman as she provided a series of photos from the nuptials on her social media. Her fellow players took the time to congratulate her in the post as well.

"Unbelievable day...Thanks again for letting me share this moment with you," replied Julia Goerges. The German is an occasional doubles partner of Bertens, having most recently played three events alongside the bride in 2017.

Current doubles World No.2 Kristina Mladenovic also wished the newlyweds well in response. "Congratulations to both of you...wishing you all the best only! Looking forward seeing some more pictures in Australia!"

Bertens talked about looking forward to the big day when she was an alternate for the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen, where she was the only player to defeat World No.1 and eventual champion Ashleigh Barty, in the round-robin portion.

Despite playing a nearly non-stop schedule during the last two months of the season, Bertens was unfazed after her final match of the year, a loss via retirement to Belinda Bencic in Shenzhen.

"It's going to be challenging with the dress fitting and stuff like that," Bertens smiled, in her press conference after that match. "But they promised everything is going to work out well."

"I have some great planners back at home," the Dutch player continued. "My family did a lot. I think everything is going to be fine. We're just looking forward to a great day with our family and friends."

Bertens finished the year as World No.9 for the second consecutive season, picking up WTA singles titles at the Mutua Madrid Open and in St. Petersburg. "I've learned so much again this year about myself," Bertens added, after the Bencic match.

"My confidence grew a lot I would say after the last year. I'm really proud I'm still in the top 10, which was a goal in the beginning of the season. I knew it was going to be really tough. But I'm still here, so really proud of that."

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/15131...r-kiki-bertens

― Frank Zappa

More pics from Kiki's wedding via her Instagram and posted by @LaWanda

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Roger Federer to become first living person to be celebrated on Swiss coins

The Federal Mint, Swissmint, will release a 20 Swiss francs silver commemorative coin in January.

It plans to add a Federer SFr50 gold coin in May.
    Dear Every Journalist,

Please ask Federer if he plans on giving his coins as allowance to his children. "If you put your toys away, you get 10 mes. If you fold your clothes, you get 8 mes."

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Or to compare herself to Rafa. In any way.
    It's ridiculous. Why not compare herself to a male player with a bad reputation? I don't think she'd prefer those options.

You know what plenty of male players have been called? Asshole. Danielle, you're not feisty. You're an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    You know what plenty of male players have been called? Asshole. Danielle, you're not feisty. You're an asshole.

Stephanie Myles
    @OpenCourt
    Sam Stosur has always (and quite rightly) been very private about her personal life.
    But she gives a shoutout to her longtime partner here, in a great thank-you note after receiving her "Spirit of Tennis" Award.

― Frank Zappa

Caroline Wozniacki Noncommittal About Plans or Goals for 2020 Season
    DECEMBER 3, 2019 07:10
    by PRAKASH

Former World No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki says she has not made any plans or goals for the 2020 season and that right now she wants to focus on spending time with her family. Wozniacki was interviewed by TV2 Sport about her plans for the new season, in which was non-committal about her plans for the new season.

When asked if she was looking forward to the new season, the Dane responded, "Not yet. I take it very quietly. There's just a little time with the family, so it's been nice." When asked about her plans or goals for the season, the Dane says, "Not yet, uh ...

But we'll take that as it comes. Right now it's just about the body doing well." Wozniacki is currently on the entry list for the 2020 ASB Classic in Auckland and the Australian Open but says she has been spending a large part of her off-season away from the court.

"The Dane had earlier said, "It'll be nice. I want to take a lot of time off the tennis court, recharge and make my body feel 100 percent again, and then I will start to come back slowly." The Dane is currently ranked No.

37 in the world and her last tournament of the season was the China Open where she reached the semi-finals and went down to Naomi Osaka. Wozniacki failed to reach the fourth round at any of the majors this year - she reached the third round at the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open but lost in the first round of the French Open.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tenni...win-wimbledon/

― Frank Zappa

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    More pics from Kiki's wedding via her Instagram and posted by @LaWanda

Kiki, congratulations on your marriage to Justin Trudeau!
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Page 123 of 127 FirstFirst ... 237398113119120121122123124125126127 LastLast