Agree Agree:  332
Likes Likes:  927
Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst 123456789153055105 ... LastLast
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

I love Sammie, but I think her doubles success is too little to get her in - 2 slam titles + year-end (although also three mixed slams) and World No.1 but no Olympics medal or FedCup. I think there might be more doubles success to come, though, once she gives up on singles.

The primary requirement for the HOF should be sustained greatness over time, so that the streaky players could be eliminated outright. So go away Stosur, Pierce and even Mauresom who was great for about six months.

The only exception to this should be social, cultural impact brought on by the player. So Ni La would get my vote, and Roddick perhaps, but I live in America so my impression of his 'contribution' may be exaggerated. If suliso came along and said Roddick should not get in, I would not have a problem with that.
    Last edited by Miles; 01-10-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Li Na was the epitome of streakiness. I think the results should be a factor over the fact that she was the only decent player from her country, which guaranteed her popularity. Inspiring people to pick up a racquet is to be commended, but not in this way

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Li Na was the epitome of streakiness. I think the results should be a factor over the fact that she was the only decent player from her country, which guaranteed her popularity. Inspiring people to pick up a racquet is to be commended, but not in this way
    I'm not really disagreeing with anything you are saying about her play, but just look at the Asian boom in tennis. The fall is pretty much made up of tournaments in China every week. So her impact to the game goes beyond her play, and I think you have to have that exception rule for the trailblazers of any sort.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    The primary requirement for the HOF should be sustained greatness over time, so that the streaky players could be eliminated outright. So go away Stosur, Pierce and even Mauresom who was great for about six months.

The only exception to this should be social, cultural impact brought on by the player. So Ni La would get my vote, and Roddick perhaps, but I live in America so my impression of his 'contribution' may be exaggerated. If suliso came along and said Roddick should not get in, I would not have a problem with that.
    I think most people would think Roddick belongs--in addition to his slam, he has a Davis Cup and the #1 ranking
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Roddick was the strongest competitor for the first 2-3 years of Federer's era. Only one Slam, but #1 ranking, 30+ titles and 3 Wimbledon finals might just qualify. He definitely wasn't a short term contender.

I don't see what cultural impact you are talking about, though. Yet another white American Slam winner. There have been many of those and some much better than him.
    Last edited by suliso; 01-10-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Roger forever

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Angie Kerber posted this. I think I know the guy in the middle, but who's the woman on the right?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dwg_BHFUUAAwZzr.jpg

That's Ana and Bastian.

Patty Schnyder
    ‏@pattyschnyder

An amazing summer is on the way

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

I guess that explains her re-retirement. She's going to become a pin collector!
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Angie Kerber posted this. I think I know the guy in the middle, but who's the woman on the right?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dwg_BHFUUAAwZzr.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    That's Ana and Bastian.
    Sarcasm doesn't always translate well.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I guess that explains her re-retirement. She's going to become a pin collector!
    Haha! That made me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Ha! I have a good sarcasm-meter, missed it this time.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Figured hou were being facetious... because she looks kinda plain? Wasnt sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Andy Roddick: any player who is known outside the sport is going to get some HOF credit for that. They're being a (hopefully good) ambassador for the sport and that counts for something. His Foundation work counts for something too. And yeah, only 1 major, but 2009 Wimbledon is worth something too.

Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst 123456789153055105 ... LastLast