Agree Agree:  209
Likes Likes:  618
Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst 12345678142954 ... LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random

Assuming she does not accomplish anything significant for the remainder of her career, which seems likely, here's the question:

All things considered, does Sam Stosur make the Hall of Fame?

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Assuming she does not accomplish anything significant for the remainder of her career, which seems likely, here's the question:

All things considered, does Sam Stosur make the Hall of Fame?
    If I had a say in it, no.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    If I had a say in it, no.
    That was my first reaction as well. Let's consider the resume:

U.S. Open Singles Title
    French Open Singles Runner Up
    2 Women's Double's Major Titles
    3 Mixed Double's Major Titles
    Ranked #1 in Women's Doubles for 61 weeks

It's really quite impressive. Of course, this also excludes all the really low moments in her career--and there have been a bunch of them. And for whatever reasons, those are things I tend to remember about her. Which is unfortunate.

So similar question: If Halep never wins another slam, does she get in the Hall of Fame? And how confident do you feel about your answer?

GH

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Until Mary Pierce gets into the Hall of Fame, I can never even take it seriously, or care who gets inducted

With Halep being a media darling, I would say they vote her in and Stosur out if both of them end up with only one Slam.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

I guess my feeling is mostly about the fact that the Hall of Fame has been hopelessly diluted already. I'm not saying that the one-slammers who are in were not great players. They were, and they had monumental achievements. But when Andy Roddick is in the Hall of Fame, where do you put Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Serena, Evert, Graf, Navratilova, and others. This is clearly a much higher echelon of achievement without a separate level of recognition.

GH

There are enough One Slammers in the HOF and Stosur did some other stuff as a doubles player.
    I would kick out some HOF people, but that won't happen. So, with the current low bar, I guess she will get in. Plus, she was Australia's #1 for a long time. That might help.
    Starry starry night

I agree with Ponchi that once the "current low bar" was set, it really wouldn't be right to raise that bar, leaving out later players with the same credentials.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    So similar question: If Halep never wins another slam, does she get in the Hall of Fame? And how confident do you feel about your answer?

GH
    I'd say no if she doesn't win a WTA finals, Olympic medal, or hold No. 1 for some ridiculous amount of time (which is pretty much impossible without winning a Slam). I liek the idea of creating a wing for one-Slam winners that aren't in the main HOF, though.

That said, Roddick got in with one Slam, a few finals, and a decade in the top 10. and that sets a precedence that could eventually justify Halep's qualifications. I don't care about Andy's "x-factor contribution to the sport." I mean, I do, but as a qualification, it probably favors white American males. And as far as playing in Fed's era, almost everyone now is playing in Serena's.

So maybe she gets in.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 01-10-2019 at 06:59 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

I'm surprised there is so much interest in the Hall of Fame. It's such an afterthought to me. Who has been there, show of hands? I'd like to go sometime but I won't go out of my way. It would be nice if they put together a traveling exhibit for tour stops.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I don't care about Andy's "x-factor contribution to the sport." I mean, I do, but as a qualification, it probably favors white American males. And as far as playing in Fed's era, almost everyone now is playing in Serena's.
    Li Na appears to be a favorite to be inducted this year, and that's a huge part of the argument for her. I'd argue Roddick has the much better career.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I'm surprised there is so much interest in the Hall of Fame. It's such an afterthought to me. Who has been there, show of hands? I'd like to go sometime but I won't go out of my way. It would be nice if they put together a traveling exhibit for tour stops.
    Just something to argue about. There's no official GOAT trophy passed around, but people are practically willing to come to blows over it. With the Hall of Fame, I think the timing plays a part. I believe you have to be retired for 5 years before you can be nominated, so that seems like a sweet spot to feel nostalgic about your favorite retired player ("I bet he/she could still be competing for slams!").

Halep 100% gets in. Wozniacki too. Being in the top ten list for most weeks at #1 is a big deal, no matter what your slam count is.

It'll be pretty rare for any #1 to not get in eventually. Jankovic, Safina, Rios, Pliskova will all miss out, but I bet Ivanovic and Muguruza sneak in.

Stosur is an easy no for singles. She was never that close to the top of the rankings, and her one slam almost highlighted her status as an underachiever. If she was super charismatic and had been known as "The Great Aussie Hope" for a decade, she'd have a better shot, but she mostly stayed under the radar. I bet her doubles will get her in someday, but probably in a slow year.

(Wertheim has been harping for years that there should be a distinction between singles and doubles, but there isn't.)

Gabriela Sabatini is in right?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Li Na appears to be a favorite to be inducted this year, and that's a huge part of the argument for her. I'd argue Roddick has the much better career.
    Well, good, I'm glad someone else is benefitting from that nebulous criteria. As long as it's available to everyone. Yes, Roddick's career was much better than Na Li's. My Spidey Sense says both of them deserve to be in. I think the HOF should tell tennis's story, and they are critical characters. Mary Pierce, too. And Halep and Wozniacki. Some type of wing of champions could distinguish the Federers from the Roddicks.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 01-10-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst 12345678142954 ... LastLast