Agree Agree:  3
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: WTA P, ATP 250 Brisbane 12/31/18 - 1/6/19

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Goerges comes back to defeat Bouchard in 2:31. She lost the first set, and was down 3-0 in the third set.

At 3-3 in the third-set tie-breaker, Goerges lost her grip on the racquet as she served, and both it and the ball landed near (her) service line.

Quite windy conditions, lots of ball-tossing and -catching, with the wind generally (but not always) blowing from one end of the court to the other.
    Hopefully Bouchard can take away the positives. I had a hard time watching this match. Neither of them are smooth hitters, which is what I prefer, and the wind made it even worse. The hitch in Goerges's service motion drive me crazy. I've never liked the aesthetics of Bouchard's game. Reminds me of Roddick. It was not easy on the eyes for me. Torquey, sluggy, jerky. Something about it hurts my eyes. But i'm rooting for Genie to find her form again.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Hopefully Bouchard can take away the positives. I had a hard time watching this match. Neither of them are smooth hitters, which is what I prefer, and the wind made it even worse. The hitch in Goerges's service motion drive me crazy. I've never liked the aesthetics of Bouchard's game. Reminds me of Roddick. It was not easy on the eyes for me. Torquey, sluggy, jerky. Something about it hurts my eyes. But i'm rooting for Genie to find her form again.
    Agreed. I really didnít care for her when she came on the scene, but after all her struggles I canít help but root for her, and you canít deny her pulling power, which can only be good for the tour if she can make it back to the top. I can see her being the new Sharapova

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Women's Singles - Quarterfinals
    [5] Ka. Pliskova (CZE) d A. Tomljanovic (AUS) 61 16 61
    D. Vekic (CRO) d A. Sasnovich (BLR) 62 60

Women's Doubles - Semifinals
    [3] N. Melichar (USA) / K. Peschke (CZE) d [1] B. Krejcikova (CZE) / K. Siniakova (CZE) 62 75
    [4] H. Chan (TPE) / L. Chan (TPE) d [2] G. Dabrowski (CAN) / Y. Xu (CHN) 62 46 10-8

Men's Singles and Doubles
    https://www.atptour.com/en/scores/cu...e/339/results?

ORDER OF PLAY - SATURDAY, JANUARY 05, 2019

PAT RAFTER ARENA start 11:00 am

WTA - [3] N. Melichar (USA) / K. Peschke (CZE) vs [4] H. Chan (TPE) / L. Chan (TPE)
    Not Before 1:00 pm
    WTA - L. Tsurenko (UKR) vs [2] N. Osaka (JPN)
    Not Before 3:00 pm
    ATP - J. Chardy (FRA) vs [2] K. Nishikori (JPN)
    Not Before 7:00 pm
    WTA - D. Vekic (CRO) vs [5] Ka. Pliskova (CZE)
    ATP - [PR] J. Tsonga (FRA) or [7] A. de Minaur (AUS) vs [4] D. Medvedev (RUS)
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

What a dismal mental performance from Osaka today, losing 2 and 4 to Tsurenko. It wasnít that close. Osaka moped a lot because she was missing so much. She has to fix the attitude when she isnít playing well.

Tsurenko played a smart, solid match. Served at 90-some percent in the second set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    What a dismal mental performance from Osaka today, losing 2 and 4 to Tsurenko. It wasn’t that close. Osaka moped a lot because she was missing so much. She has to fix the attitude when she isn’t playing well.

Tsurenko played a smart, solid match. Served at 90-some percent in the second set.
    Osaka is extremely all or nothing with her mental game. At the end of last year, they showed insane stats about what happens based on whether she wins or loses the first set. I think she was undefeated winning the first set, and had only won a few matches after losing the first set.

It was a significant surprise when she was able to bounce back after a lousy first set against Sevastova. There is definite progress, but that's still the biggest hurdle in her chances of racing to multiple slams.

ORDER OF PLAY - SUNDAY, JANUARY 06, 2019

PAT RAFTER ARENA start 3:00 pm

ATP - [4] R. Ram (USA) / J. Salisbury (GBR) vs M. Daniell (NZL) / W. Koolhof (NED)
    Not Before 5:00 pm
    WTA - [5] Ka. Pliskova (CZE) vs L. Tsurenko (UKR)
    Not Before 7:00 pm
    ATP - [4] D. Medvedev (RUS) vs [2] K. Nishikori (JPN)
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Women's Doubles - Final
    [3] N. Melichar (USA) / K. Peschke (CZE) d [4] H. Chan (TPE) / L. Chan (TPE) 61 61

Women's Singles - Semifinals
    L. Tsurenko (UKR) d [2] N. Osaka (JPN) 62 64
    [5] Ka. Pliskova (CZE) d D. Vekic (CRO) 63 64

Men's Singles - Semifinals
    (4) Daniil Medvedev d Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 76(6) 62
    (2) Kei Nishikori d Jeremy Chardy 62 62

Karolina Pliskova WTA Singles Champion

Nishikori Kei Mens Singles Champion

Apparently this happened during the women's final.

Mens doubles chanpions Marcus Daniell and Wesley Koolhof

Women's Doubles Champions Nicole Melichar and Kveta Peschke

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Women's Singles - Final
    [5] Ka. Pliskova (CZE)
    d L. Tsurenko (UKR) 46 75 62

Men's Singles - Final
    [2] K. Nishikori (JPN)
    d [4] D. Medvedev (RUS) 64 36 62

Men's Doubles - Final

M. Daniell (NZL) / W. Koolhof (NED)
    d [4] R. Ram (USA) / J. Salisbury (GBR) 64 76(6)

Nishikori finally ends a long title drought that included 9 straight losses in finals.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123