Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: WTA Int'l Shenzen, Auckland 12/30/18 - 1/6/19

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Sabalenka beat Sharapova 6-1 4-2. By all accounts Sabalenka was giving Maria a good hiding before she retired with a thigh injury. She also had her shoulder taped. Wouldn’t be surprised if she retires this season
    I would agree except for the Olympics factor. I think she'll hold on for Tokyo. She's still the highest ranked Russian, and there are only 2 others in the top 50 (Pavlyunchkova and Makarova).
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Tough loss for Anisimova. She was up a break in third set against Kuzmova, lost the break, then was up 40-love on her serve at 4-5, and lost. A couple times in the last game, she took (what felt like) 45 or 60 seconds between first and second serves, due to the wind and frustration. Both times she sliced in a cupcake second serve and Kuzmova hit the return for a winner. It happened on match point.

Carillo was pretty impressed with Kuzmova, but from the few games I saw against Kenin and Anisimova, her game is pretty generic.

I couldn't see the serve clock on the court. Does the WTA not use it?
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 01-04-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I would agree except for the Olympics factor. I think she'll hold on for Tokyo. She's still the highest ranked Russian, and there are only 2 others in the top 50 (Pavlyunchkova and Makarova).
    It's a tough call. If she dips and looks like she might not make the cutoff (top 56?), maybe she hangs it all up. I think she's itching for at least a title, even if it's a tiny one.

I'm thinking Venus might not make it past this year. She's currently the #5 American, so she wouldn't make the singles team at the moment.

No matter what, I think Olympic qualification odds are going to factor in to a lot of decisions at the end of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    It's a tough call. If she dips and looks like she might not make the cutoff (top 56?), maybe she hangs it all up. I think she's itching for at least a title, even if it's a tiny one.

I'm thinking Venus might not make it past this year. She's currently the #5 American, so she wouldn't make the singles team at the moment.

No matter what, I think Olympic qualification odds are going to factor in to a lot of decisions at the end of this year.
    Could they include Venus for doubles regardless of ranking, or do they pretty much choose the team according to ranking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andreescu must have eaten her Wheaties before this tournament--at one point, she reeled off 11 straight games against Venus.

Speaking of, everyone has Venus one foot in the grave at the beginning of every year and it never happens. She's already publicly stated this year that she has no retirement plans. Plus, she'll certainly be ranked higher than Danielle Collins by the Olympic cutoff time, who has barely won a match since her Miami run.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Tough loss for Anisimova. She was up a break in third set against Kuzmova, lost the break, then was up 40-love on her serve at 4-5, and lost. A couple times in the last game, she took (what felt like) 45 or 60 seconds between first and second serves, due to the wind and frustration. Both times she sliced in a cupcake second serve and Kuzmova hit the return for a winner. It happened on match point.

Carillo was pretty impressed with Kuzmova, but from the few games I saw against Kenin and Anisimova, her game is pretty generic.

I couldn't see the serve clock on the court. Does the WTA not use it?
    Serve clock only in Premier events this year. Will be added to International events in 2020
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS - Friday
    Shenzhen
    Singles - Quarterfinals
    [1] A. Sabalenka (BLR) d [5] M. Sharapova (RUS) 61 42 ret. (left thigh injury)
    Y. Wang (CHN) d [Q] M. Niculescu (ROU) 26 76(4) 61
    A. Riske (USA) d S. Cirstea (ROU) 75 61
    [WC] V. Zvonareva (RUS) d [Q] V. Kudermetova (RUS) 46 75 63

Doubles - Semifinals
    [2] S. Peng (CHN) / Z. Yang (CHN) d T. Bacsinszky (SUI) / V. Zvonareva (RUS) 64 75
    Y. Duan (CHN) / R. Voracova (CZE) d N. Hibino (JPN) / A. Kalinina (UKR) 26 61 10-3

Auckland
    Singles - Quarterfinals
    [2] J. Goerges (GER) d E. Bouchard (CAN) 36 63 76(6) - saved one match point
    [3] S. Hsieh (TPE) d S. Sorribes Tormo (ESP) 63 62
    [Q] B. Andreescu (CAN) d [6] V. Williams (USA) 67(1) 61 63
    V. Kuzmova (SVK) d [WC] A. Anisimova (USA) 63 26 64

Doubles - Semifinals

E. Bouchard (CAN) / S. Kenin (USA) d [4] X. Han (CHN) / D. Jurak (CRO) 67(5) 64 10-8

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Took out Venus today too. She had a great Fall on the ITF as well, so she's had a good few months.

My prediction - a few people take her in R1 of AO SP and lose
    Andreescu has to qualify first.

ORDER OF PLAY - SATURDAY, JANUARY 05, 2019 Auckland

CENTRE COURT start 3:00 pm

[WC] P. Hourigan (NZL) / T. Townsend (USA) vs [2] K. Flipkens (BEL) / J. Larsson (SWE)
    Not Before 5:00 pm

V. Kuzmova (SVK) vs [2] J. Goerges (GER)
    [Q] B. Andreescu (CAN) vs [3] S. Hsieh (TPE)
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

ORDER OF PLAY - SATURDAY, JANUARY 05, 2019 Shenzen

CENTRE COURT start 10:00 am

[1] A. Sabalenka (BLR)
    vs Y. Wang (CHN)
    Not Before 2:00 pm
    [1] A. Sabalenka (BLR)
    or Y. Wang (CHN) vs A. Riske (USA) or [WC] V. Zvonareva (RUS)
    Award Ceremony

Y. Duan (CHN) / R. Voracova (CZE) vs [2] S. Peng (CHN) / Z. Yang (CHN)

COURT 1 start 10:00 am

A. Riske (USA) vs [WC] V. Zvonareva (RUS)
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Could they include Venus for doubles regardless of ranking, or do they pretty much choose the team according to ranking?
    Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Andreescu must have eaten her Wheaties before this tournament--at one point, she reeled off 11 straight games against Venus.

Speaking of, everyone has Venus one foot in the grave at the beginning of every year and it never happens. She's already publicly stated this year that she has no retirement plans. Plus, she'll certainly be ranked higher than Danielle Collins by the Olympic cutoff time, who has barely won a match since her Miami run.
    If memory serves, a country can have 6 total players: 4 singles players and 2 doubles teams, with one of the doubles teams being made up of singles players. The doubles only team can be entered by ranking, OR a top 10 doubles player can choose whatever partner they want. (It popped up once with Leander Paes. Bhupati/Bopanna refused to split up, so he had to play with some guy ranked in the 200s.)

There isn't an American woman in the top 10 doubles currently, so that would have to happen first. I completely agree that Collins is about to plummet. I just don't know if Kenin or Riske will rise up, or if Venus might dip below the #56 cutoff. Like I said, when 2019 is over, I think those things are going to be a factor for a lot of the older players.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Andreescu has to qualify first.
    Couldn't remember if cut off was before or after this week. Regardless, she will qualify, only giving people more confidence in picking her, and lose!
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Couldn't remember if cut off was before or after this week. Regardless, she will qualify, only giving people more confidence in picking her, and lose!
    The cutoff is always six weeks before any tournament. This week is the last one to affect seeding (because the draws will come out before next week finishes).

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Shenzhen
    Singles - Semifinals
    [1] A. Sabalenka (BLR) d Y. Wang (CHN) 62 61
    A. Riske (USA) d [WC] V. Zvonareva (RUS) 60 10 ret. (left hip injury)

Singles - Final
    [1] A. Sabalenka (BLR)
    d A. Riske (USA) 46 76(2) 63

Doubles - Final
    [2] S. Peng (CHN) / Z. Yang (CHN)
    d Y. Duan (CHN) / R. Voracova (CZE) 64 63

Auckland
    Singles - Semifinals

[2] J. Goerges (GER) d V. Kuzmova (SVK) 61 76(6)
    [Q] B. Andreescu (CAN) d [3] S. Hsieh (TPE) 63 63

Doubles - Semifinals
    [WC] P. Hourigan (NZL) / T. Townsend (USA) d [2] K. Flipkens (BEL) / J. Larsson (SWE) 63 75

Aryna Sabalenka Shenzen Champion via IG/FB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast