Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

2019 Predictions Contest Rules

This contest is closed to new participants. If you participated in the 2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016, 2017 or 2018 contest or you SIGNED UP before or on December 31, 2018 you are eligible to participate in the 2019 TAT Prediction Contest. If you did not, we regret to inform you that, we are unable to accept new entrants.

However, all other TAT contests are open to any registered member, so we urge you to take part in those events, starting with TAT's "A Month in the Sun" fantasy tennis contest.

The Prediction Contest has three main categories: ATP, WTA and Bonus. The bonus category includes: Fed Cup as well as predicting the Doubles Winners at the Slams and at the year-end events for the ATP and WTA. At the end of the year, medals will be awarded to the top three finishers in the ATP and WTA categories, one medal will be awarded to the winner of the bonus category, and three medals will be awarded for the top three finishers in the combined ATP, WTA and Bonus scores. You will be able to track your status in each category and in the YTD when the scores are posted each week.

Davis Cup will be excluded for at least this first year of the new format as we see how it runs. It may return next year.

Fed Cup scores are 2 points each for the winners of the quarterfinal round, 4 points each for the winners of the semifinal round and 8 points for the winner. An additional 1 point each for predicting the correct score of a tie.

When the 2019 Prediction Contest Begins:
    The year starts with tournaments from Brisbane, Doha and Pune for the ATP while the WTA will begin in Auckland, Brisbane and Shenzhen (check corresponding thread for exact deadline)

*For those who are new: the year is divided in weeks. Each week a thread will be posted in this forum with the links to the brackets FOR ALL the tournaments played during that week.

This does not mean that all tournaments' predictions are due at the same time. Each one has its own deadline which will be clarified in the same thread. Make sure to check back regularly as to not miss them.

2019 Prediction Scoring Structure:
    -The core scoring structure will remain the same: 1 point for each correct QFist, 2 points for each correct SFist, 3 points for each correct finalist, and 4 points for each correct tournament winner (with points doubled for the four major events). We also predict Davis Cup 1st round, QFs, SFs and final and Fed Cup QFs, SFs, and final.

-Any participant who predicts a tournament perfectly will receive 10 bonus points. These bonus points will be awarded to the bonus category. Points for a perfect tournament will not be doubled for a major event.

-The bonus point for correctly predicting the final score of Fed Cup ties requires that your prediction must exactly match the final score of the tie. What this means is that you are free to predict final tie scores based on potentially dead rubber matches (2-1, 3-0, 3-1, or 4-0). If you predict 3-2, 4-1, or 5-0 and the final score of the tie is 3-0, for example, or does not match exactly, you will not receive the extra bonus point.

Special Situations:
    - Occasionally all R-32 matches may not have been concluded before the deadline. In such situation you will have to post your predictions all the same but will have a dropdown menu in the corresponding slot in the bracket from which to choose the player you think will win the unfinished R-32 match.

- Deadlines may change due to unforeseen circumstance. Generally the rule of thumb is that the deadline is start of play for the day in which more than 2 R16 matches will be played. It’s up to participants to be aware of this as the runners of the tournament are human and fallible. We try to update as well as we are able.

- Freebies: this is the opposite situation. Some R-16 matches will have been played before the deadline giving you a FREE quarterfinalist which will not exceed 2 per tournament.

Trip to London Contest
    - There will be a total of 13 ATP tournaments that will make up that portion of the contest and the top 8 finishers of those tournaments will participate in a separate contest for medals. All participants, who are not in the top 8 of those tournaments, should continue to make predictions in that week. Tournaments consist of all 4 Slams, Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome, Toronto, Cincinnati, Shanghai and Paris.

Trip to Shenzhen Contest
    - There will be a total of 13 WTA tournaments that will make up that portion of the contest and the top 8 finishers of those tournaments will participate in a separate contest for medals. All participants, who are not in the top 8 of those tournaments, should continue to make predictions in that week. Tournaments consist of all 4 Slams, Doha, Indian Wells, Miami, Madrid, Rome, Montreal, Cincinnati, Wuhan and Beijing.
    Last edited by patrick; 12-30-2018 at 04:27 AM.
    I disapprove of this message

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Re: 2019 Predictions Contest Rules

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    - Freebies: this is the opposite situation. Some R-16 matches will have been played before the deadline giving you a FREE quarterfinalist which will not exceed 2 per tournament.
    Meaning there might be a couple of times where the deadline might be a day earlier than before...but unlikely to be a big deal...just keep an eye out for it.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Damn did I miss the thread about suggestions for the new year Was hoping could have a missed tournament allowance, if not one "on the Road" . *evil grin*

When are the first predictions for 2019? I usually miss them ...
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

I wish we would at least try a standard deadline every week since most players seem to be in North America anyway. It would eliminate the missed deadline problem. And it should create less work for the mods, and would add a fun twist to the contest since at times matches might still be in progress while we are predicting them, and at other times weather could wreak havoc on the draw and we wind up predicting R-32. Sometimes it’s just fun to mix it up. And I say this as someone who does well in the yearly predictions with the current format.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Hi, so I presume this is still open for 2019 and will close in the next day or so? Please confirm.
    I like a lot the crazy bounce

Yes. If you don't get an email confirmation when predicting, please PM me and James7.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

How did/do new people register? Wasn't there an in/out thread that would usually go up?
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Yes. Forgot to do thread but they get a chance to enter before 1-1-19. Normally deadline is Christmas
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Yes. If you don't get an email confirmation when predicting, please PM me and James7.
    I will be traveling internationally for work next week. The last time I was there I had issues with logging in. Is there an e-mail address that I can send my picks to? (Will not be able to even get in to be able to PM).

Understand if you would prefer to PM this so that it is not public. Thanks,
    -Mike