Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: ATP WTF London 11/11-11/18 2018

The only match I've watched so far was Zverev vs Cilic. Everything seems preordained. I felt that way before the other news about preferential treatment broke.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

"Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    The only match I've watched so far was Zverev vs Cilic. Everything seems preordained. I felt that way before the other news about preferential treatment broke.
    Speaking of which, anyone notice when Fed played his first match? On Sunday. Why? So now he gets a day off between the RR and semis.

I wonder if he will play the morning or the evening semi match on Saturday, knowing that the evening match starts at 8pm, and the winner will have to play the final the next day at 6pm?

Towel Avatar, do your thing!

If he plays against Nole, they play the evening match. It is too prime time not to.
    If he plays the other semifinalist from that group, 2:00 PM with the doubles match forced to play just one long TB to ensure starting time is... on time.
    Starry starry night

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Wednesday
    Singles - Round Robin
    (2) Roger Federer d (6) Dominic Thiem 62 63
    (4) Kevin Anderson d (7) Kei Nishikori 60 61

Doubles - Round Robin
    (4) Jamie Murray/Bruno Soares d (2) Juan Sebastian Cabal/Robert Farah 64 63
    (6) Raven Klaasen/Michael Venus d (7) Nikola Mektic/Alexander Peya 76(5) 76(5)

Thursday
    Singles - Round Robin
    (1) Novak Djokovic d (3) Alexander Zverev 64 61
    (5) Marin Cilic d (8) John Isner 67(2) 63 64

Doubles - Round Robin
    (5) Mike Bryan/Jack Sock d (1) Oliver Marach/Mate Pavic 64 76(4)
    (8) Pierre-Hugues Herbert/Nicolas Mahut d (3) Lukasz Kubot/Marcelo Melo 62 64

Unless my math is wrong, even if Fed loses 6-0, 6-0, he still would have a better game % than Nishikori.

So essentially, Federer and Anderson are playing to avoid meeting Nole in the semi, as they're both through and only the ranking within the group matters.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Nishikori IS out... but if Fed loses badly enough, Theim could pass him for second...doing my maths now...

Fed is currently +3 games, and Thiem -4 games... so Federer can't lose by 7 or 8 games combined?

Edit - from the ATP site "For Roger Federer to qualify for the semi-finals tonight he needs to win either one set or in the case of a straight sets loss, five games in total if both sets go to six, or six games in total if one set goes to seven. "
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 11-15-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

What are the permutations for today anyone? Is Nole already through as group winner?

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Here's your "table" - Nole is through, but if he loses and Isner wins, Cilic will be group winner.

semiscenario-cilic-3-1920x1080.jpg

From ATP site:

Singles Group Guga Kuerten qualification scenarios after the completion of the 2nd round of the event's group stage:
    1) Regardless of score, if N. DJOKOVIC defeats M. CILIC and A. ZVEREV defeats J. ISNER, then N. DJOKOVIC wins the group and A. ZVEREV qualifies 2nd.
    2) Regardless of score, if M. CILIC defeats N. DJOKOVIC and A. ZVEREV defeats J. ISNER, then N. DJOKOVIC wins the group and A. ZVEREV qualifies 2nd.
    3) Regardless of score, if M. CILIC defeats N. DJOKOVIC and J. ISNER defeats A. ZVEREV, then M. CILIC wins the group and N. DJOKOVIC qualifies 2nd.
    4) If N. DJOKOVIC defeats M. CILIC and J. ISNER defeats A. ZVEREV in 2 sets, then N. DJOKOVIC wins the group and J. ISNER qualifies 2nd.
    5) If N. DJOKOVIC defeats M. CILIC and J. ISNER defeats A. ZVEREV in 3 sets, then N. DJOKOVIC wins the group and A. ZVEREV qualifies 2nd.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

The semi finals have been set: Djokovic vs Anderson and Federer vs Zverev.
    Roger forever

Wonder what kind of effort Cilic and Novak will put out there. Anderson and Federer are resting. Novak really, really does not want anything more than a 3 & 4 match, even if he loses it.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Speaking of which, anyone notice when Fed played his first match? On Sunday. Why? So now he gets a day off between the RR and semis.

I wonder if he will play the morning or the evening semi match on Saturday, knowing that the evening match starts at 8pm, and the winner will have to play the final the next day at 6pm?

Ok, so you called three days in advance. Back to the TENNIS RANDOM thread for some questions. (Really, I have a couple).
    Starry starry night

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast