Madison Keys
    Julia Goerges
    Garbiñe Muguruza
    Caroline Garcia
    Ashleigh Barty
    Anett Kontaveit
    Jelena Ostapenko
    Wang Qiang
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Re: WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai 10/30-11/5 2018

TBH I'm not sure Wang will play. If she doesn't CSN is next in.

If they all play I'm thinking this tournament is more interesting than Singapore.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

It's interesting that Caroline Garcia can actually gain points. She'll lose 625 from the YEC, but 700 are up for grabs here. She went 2-2 at the YEC, and would have to go 4-0 here, but it's also lesser competition.

Who's better off being here instead of qualifying for the YEC?

I think Sabalenka benefits, especially since she gets an extra week of rest before playing here. The talented but insufficiently confident Kasatkina and Barty might be able to use this as a springboard.

I think it's a little dangerous for Muguruza and Ostapenko. If they do poorly and don't advance, it ends the year on sort of a sour note. 'I should have been in the real one, and I can't even get to the semis here.'

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    TBH I'm not sure Wang will play. If she doesn't CSN is next in.

If they all play I'm thinking this tournament is more interesting than Singapore.
    Is that last spot not always a Chinese player? I seem to remember they have a "discretionary" wild card built into the tournament.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Is that last spot not always a Chinese player? I seem to remember they have a "discretionary" wild card built into the tournament.
    That could be. On Wiki it shows two players, Serena and Wang Qiang blocked out.

How does the 12 player format work for this sham tournament?
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

I think there are 4 groups of 3 players, with the winner of each group advancing. Last year, all the groups were named after flowers
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

I would name the groups after retired WTA legends.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    How does the 12 player format work for this sham tournament?
    I don't mind it. I think I like this set up better than the ATP Next Gen, where the 21 feels like a very arbitrary qualification and cutoff no matter their experience on tour.

This should be held the week before the YEC not the week after. I've never understood the logic in scheduling the events this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    This should be held the week before the YEC not the week after. I've never understood the logic in scheduling the events this way.
    That I definitely agree with. I don't know if they are intentionally giving those who finished higher a week longer for their off-season, but it's definitely strange that YEC doesn't end the season in full.

I just don't see the point of having some sort of second class/tier tournament.

You lot are the best players on the year, but for a lesser reason.

And after the YEC is a complete head-scratcher aussi...
    Last edited by the Moz; 10-19-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

October 23, 2018

Player Field for 2018 Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai Announced
    Garbiñe Muguruza, Madison Keys and Wang Qiang headline 2018 field
    Julia Goerges returns to Zhuhai to defend her title
    Singles wildcard awarded to Zhang Shuai, marking the first time in tournament history that two Chinese players will compete in Zhuhai

ST PETERSBURG, FL, USA - The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) announced today the player field set to compete in the fourth annual Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai from October 30 - November 4, 2018 for a total prize money of over $2.3 million.

The year-end event features both singles and doubles, and will be staged in the southern Chinese coastal city of Zhuhai at the custom designed and state-of-the-art Zhuhai Hengqin International Tennis Centre.

Among the prominent list of players who will compete in Zhuhai is two-time Grand Slam champion Garbiñe Muguruza (2016 Roland Garros and 2017 Wimbledon), 2017 US Open finalist Madison Keys, and China's No.1 Wang Qiang. In addition, Julia Goerges returns to defend her crown in Zhuhai, where she lifted the biggest title of her career in 2017. Between all players competing in Zhuhai this year, they represent 14 WTA singles titles won in 2018.

“We are excited to welcome the fourth edition of the Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai, highlighting many of the top athletes on the WTA Tour,” stated Steve Simon, WTA CEO and Chairman. “This world-class event showcases top players along with up and coming stars, all joining together and celebrating their achievements of the 2018 WTA season.”

“We are extremely happy with the list of players that have qualified to play at the 2018 Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai," said Tournament Director Jose Miguel Garcia. "For the first time in the four years of the tournament there will be two Chinese players in the singles draw, which shows how fast tennis is developing in China. All the players that have qualified are amongst the best tennis players in the world, and they will all come to Zhuhai to compete at their highest level. Great tennis is guaranteed for all the fans coming to Zhuhai and everyone following from home all over the world.”

The Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai’s 12-player singles field includes 10 of the WTA's Top 20 players, in addition to one wildcard awarded to China’s No.2 ranked player, Zhang Shuai. The players will compete in four round robin groups of three, with the winners of each group advancing to the semifinals. The six doubles teams will be split into two round robin groups, with the winner of each advancing to the final.

Click here to read more on the 2018 Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai singles field.

The singles field includes:

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

AZALEA GROUP

Kasatkina, Daria
    Keys, Madison
    Wang, Qiang

CAMELLIA GROUP

Sevastova, Anastassija
    Muguruza, Garbine
    Zhang, Shuai

ORCHID GROUP

Sabalenka, Aryna
    Garcia, Caroline
    Barty, Ashleigh

ROSE GROUP

Mertens, Elise
    Goerges, Julia
    Kontaveit, Anett

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

SINGLES ROUND ROBIN

AZALEA GROUP

Kasatkina, Daria
    Keys, Madison
    Wang, Qiang

CAMELLIA GROUP

Sevastova, Anastassija
    Muguruza, Garbine
    Zhang, Shuai

ORCHID GROUP

Sabalenka, Aryna
    Garcia, Caroline
    Barty, Ashleigh

ROSE GROUP

Mertens, Elise
    Goerges, Julia
    Kontaveit, Anett
    Last edited by kandi; 10-29-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast