Agree Agree:  17
Likes Likes:  13
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai 10/30-11/5 2018

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Yeah, I don't feel like making them play 4 indoor matches during a week should be that big of a deal, no matter when they are scheduled.
    I played three singles matches in 24 hours a couple weeks ago at a tournament.* Suck it up!

*I'll brag: It was USTA Nationals. Rain required three matches in a day. Some people played 4 singles matches in 24 hours.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

Wang Qiang had a cute hairstyle today. I'm not sure what they used so that the hair would stay in the braid but I like its playfulness.
    Love it!
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Every player went 1-1 in the RR, except Mugu (2-0) and Zhang(0-2).

Keys will play Muguruza and defending champ Goerges gets Ash Barty. Indoors, my money is on Mugu to take the title.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Keys will play Muguruza and defending champ Goerges gets Ash Barty. Indoors, my money is on Mugu to take the title.
    Keys is gonna play with that knee? The commentators were wondering if she was going to pull out of todays match. Wow, should be interesting to see

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

Wang Qiang had a cute hairstyle today. I'm not sure what they used so that the hair would stay in the braid but I like its playfulness.
    I loved it too!

2018 WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai
    Friday Wrap
    November 2, 2018

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:

'These are the matches that really count' - Muguruza revels in Sevastova win
    Wang gets comeback win but Keys reaches semis in Zhuhai
    Garcia beats Sabalenka to send Barty to Zhuhai SF

VIDEO: SAP Stat of the Day: Muguruza’s 3-set prowess
    VIDEO: Shot of the Day: Muguruza’s superb smash
    HIGHLIGHTS: Muguruza overcomes Sevastova to reach final four

ORDER OF PLAY - SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2018

STADIUM start 1:30 pm

[2] M. Kato (JPN) / M. Ninomiya (JPN) vs [5] [WC] X. Jiang (CHN) / Z. Yang (CHN)
    Not Before 3:00 pm
    [4] S. Aoyama (JPN) / L. Marozava (BLR) vs [6] [WC] Q. Tang (CHN) / F. Xun (CHN)
    Not Before 4:30 pm
    [5] J. Goerges (GER) vs [9] A. Barty (AUS)
    Not Before 7:00 pm
    [7] G. Muguruza (ESP) vs [6] M. Keys (USA)

FOR RESULTS: http://www.wtatennis.com/scores

FOR DRAWS: http://www.wtatennis.com/tournament/...-trophy-zhuhai

FOR MATCH NOTES/HEAD-to-HEADS: http://www.wtatennis.com/press-center

CHINESE SITE/SPANISH SITE:
    www.wta.cn
    www.wtatennis.com/news/es

TOURNAMENT WEBSITE:
    www.wtaelitetrophy.com

WTA:
    www.wtatennis.com

The WTA is the global leader in women’s professional sport with more than 2,500 players representing nearly 100 nations competing for a record $146 million in prize money. The 2018 WTA competitive season includes 54 events and four Grand Slams in 30 countries. In 2017, the WTA was watched around the world by a total TV audience of 500 million. The 2018 WTA competitive season concludes with the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global from October 21-28, 2018 and the Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy in Zhuhai, China from October 30-November 4, 2018.

Fantastic jinx. Mugu just went down 2 & 0. To Qiang, not Keys, who retired due to the knee injury.
    Starry starry night

It's going to be Barty vs Wang Qiang for the title. Interesting to say the least.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Guess there's a bit of controversy on subbing Wang in for Keys. The semis were set and with Keys pulling out and them subbing in for Keys and not giving Muguruza the walkover is somewhat of a questionable call. Justin and Chanda were discussing it on Tennis Channel, they aren't completely clear on what is going on. Justin is much more put out by it than Chanda. There's at least some speculation that Wang could get the money prize for advancing but not the points for playing the additional rounds, and if that is the case, then both are very confused on what's going on.

Gimelstob, as usual, was wrong.

http://wtafiles.wtatennis.com/pdf/pu...ite_trophy.pdf

The rule is at the top of Page 3. Wrong place.

5. Semifinal/Final Withdrawal

a. Match Format after Withdrawal
    If any player withdraws from the semifinals of the singles competition, the next player in the final standings
    of the withdrawing player’s round robin group replaces the withdrawing player in the semifinals and is eligible
    to advance in the competition.
    If any player(s) or team(s) withdraw(s) from the finals, any match(es) with any replacement player(s) or team(s)
    are 8- or 10-game pro-set exhibitions, and replacement players and teams are not eligible to advance in the
    competition.
    Thanks to "guichard" and "Paullow"
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

That makes more sense. Chanda was like, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. And then was like, I mean, if you play, you should get points not just the money, but otherwise, I'm not sure there's an integrity issue and let's not make too big a deal out of this. While Gimelstob was getting very high and mighty about things. It seems like a completely foreseeable occurrence, so I'm not surprised there's a rule about it. I'd assume all the year ends with round robins have rules for it and you'd think Justin would've thought of that prior to spouting off.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    That makes more sense. Chanda was like, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. And then was like, I mean, if you play, you should get points not just the money, but otherwise, I'm not sure there's an integrity issue and let's not make too big a deal out of this. While Gimelstob was getting very high and mighty about things. It seems like a completely foreseeable occurrence, so I'm not surprised there's a rule about it. I'd assume all the year ends with round robins have rules for it and you'd think Justin would've thought of that prior to spouting off.
    You used "Justin" and "thought" in one sentence. Take two aspirin and a nice long nap. LOL

2018 WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai
    Saturday Wrap
    November 3, 2018

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:

Wang routs Muguruza to reach historic Zhuhai final
    Barty ends Goerges title defense to reach Zhuhai final

VIDEO: SAP Stat of the Day: Wang Makes History
    VIDEO: Shot of the Day: Wang's wonderful winner
    HIGHLIGHTS: Barty battles past Goerges

ORDER OF PLAY - SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 2018

STADIUM start 1:30 pm - DOUBLES FINAL
    [3] L. Kichenok (UKR) / N. Kichenok (UKR) vs [4] S. Aoyama (JPN) / L. Marozava (BLR)
    Not Before 4:00 pm - SINGLES FINAL
    [9] A. Barty (AUS) vs [11] Q. Wang (CHN)

FOR RESULTS: http://www.wtatennis.com/scores

FOR DRAWS: http://www.wtatennis.com/tournament/...-trophy-zhuhai

FOR MATCH NOTES/HEAD-to-HEADS: http://www.wtatennis.com/press-center

CHINESE SITE/SPANISH SITE:
    www.wta.cn
    www.wtatennis.com/news/es

TOURNAMENT WEBSITE:
    www.wtaelitetrophy.com

WTA:
    www.wtatennis.com

The WTA is the global leader in women’s professional sport with more than 2,500 players representing nearly 100 nations competing for a record $146 million in prize money. The 2018 WTA competitive season includes 54 events and four Grand Slams in 30 countries. In 2017, the WTA was watched around the world by a total TV audience of 500 million. The 2018 WTA competitive season concludes with the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global from October 21-28, 2018 and the Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy in Zhuhai, China from October 30-November 4, 2018.

In case anyone else didn't know this would be happening and is up in the middle of the night like me, the final between Barty and Wang is airing live on regular Tennis Channel right now. It'll repeat later this morning as well according to my on-screen guide.

Ashleigh Barty Singles Champion

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast