Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: WTA YEC Singapore 10/21-10/28 2018

Kiki’s mom is there too.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Caro is easily number 1 for me. I'll give second to Angelique.

I don't hate Pliskova's, but I don't love it, the sheer feels a bit awkward, some of that due to the length.

I kind of like Naomi's, I don't mind the simple column. But I prefer this dress on her from afar. Up close her suntan is too pronounced to pull this off as it should be. But the closer picture (where the middle of her dress separates more) leads me to believe this looks better in movement.

Sloane's is a miss for me. The length is good, but this looks like the slip dress with the sheer overlay that was popular in the 90s and this one is seriously dazzly, which is not my favorite thing. BUT, the detail on the overlay could look way better in person.

I don't mind Kiki's too much because it seems like the vertical detailing is interesting and so probably nicer in person. But I could do without the border detailing. Also, she could look worse than this and I wouldn't mind it as much, she's easily the one here who likely didn't plan weeks in advance for what to wear to YEC. Also, seriously unfamiliar with how Kiki typically dresses at these things.

I already commented on Kvitova's. That's unfortunate.

Svitolina looks like she's about to take the stage at the County Music Awards, trying to hip up a country performance. The lace feels more granny than sexy and why in the world is there fringe on her pants???

And Halep. Well hallelujah for the one shoulder aspect of the dress. She's constantly wearing things that cover every aspect of her upper body, so this is a very nice departure as the other styles she favors are not very flattering on her. This is the best I've seen her looking from the waist up in some time. But I'd love to see video of her moving as there's no way there wasn't a close call or two of her stumbling in this entirely too long dress. And unlike Kiki, I can't give her a pass for anything as she's known for months she was coming to the YEC, plenty of time to get this dress tailored.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 10-20-2018 at 11:08 AM.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

J Cap is looking good btw

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    J Cap is looking good btw
    Though I think she looks a tad matronly in some angles, more than is necessary, I do think she looks good. And hey, it's not an orange jumpsuit, so on that scale she looks fantastic.

Not the most in focus picture ever, but here's a group photo where everyone is visible with the Singapore skyline in the back.

I was mostly asleep but it looked like Woz got serve botted.

TBH I was surprised to see Svitolina won her match.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

ADVANCEMENT SCENARIOS FOR TUESDAY (WHITE GROUP):

If Svitolina and Kvitova win, Svitolina qualifies as group winner, Wozniacki is eliminated (Kvitova and Pliskova would play for the No. 2 spot on Thursday)
    If Svitolina wins in straight sets and Wozniacki wins in three sets, Svitolina qualifies (position tbd)
    If Pliskova and Wozniacki win, Pliskova qualifies as group winner, Kvitova is eliminated (Wozniacki and Svitolina play for the No. 2 spot on Thursday)
    If Pliskova wins in straight sets and Kvitova wins in three sets, Pliskova qualifies (position tbd)
    Any other combination of results will mean qualification comes down to Thursday’s matches
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

White Group OOP on Tuesday

No.2 Caroline Wozniacki vs. No.4 Petra Kvitova (5-8)

No.6 Elina Svitolina vs. No.7 Karolina Pliskova (2-5)

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Sloane beats Osaka in 3 sets. Didnít see any of it, but I have noticed that in the 3 matches played so far, all 3 have been by won by the underdogs (going by the bookies odds anyway). Can Bertens carry on the trend and beat Kerber?

Bertens/Kerber split the first two sets. The third just started.

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Sloane beats Osaka in 3 sets. Didn’t see any of it, but I have noticed that in the 3 matches played so far, all 3 have been by won by the underdogs (going by the bookies odds anyway). Can Bertens carry on the trend and beat Kerber?
    Yes she can. Very interesting.

It would be great if she wins the whole thing. Second year in a row with five winners for the five major tourneys.
    Starry starry night

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Sunday
    Singles - Round Robin
    [7] Karolina Pliskova (CZE) d. [2] Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 62 64
    [6] Elina Svitolina (UKR) d. [4] Petra Kvitova (CZE) 63 63

Monday
    Singles - Round Robin
    [5] Sloane Stephens (USA) d [3] Naomi Osaka (JPN) 75 46 61
    [8] Kiki Bertens (NED) 61 36 d [1] Angelique Kerber (GER) 16 63 64

ADVANCEMENT SCENARIOS FOR WEDNESDAY (RED GROUP):

If Bertens wins in straight sets Wednesday, Bertens qualifies
    If Bertens and Kerber win on Wednesday, Bertens qualifies as group winner, Osaka is eliminated (Kerber and Stephens play for the No.2 spot on Friday)
    If Stephens wins in straight sets Wednesday, Stephens qualifies
    If Stephens and Osaka win on Wednesday, Stephens qualifies as group winner, Kerber is eliminated (Osaka and Bertens play for the No.2 spot on Friday)

ADVANCEMENT SCENARIOS FOR TUESDAY (WHITE GROUP):

If Svitolina and Kvitova win, Svitolina qualifies as group winner, Wozniacki is eliminated (Kvitova and Pliskova would play for the No. 2 spot on Thursday)
    If Svitolina wins in straight sets and Wozniacki wins in three sets, Svitolina qualifies (position tbd)
    If Pliskova and Wozniacki win, Pliskova qualifies as group winner, Kvitova is eliminated (Wozniacki and Svitolina play for the No. 2 spot on Thursday)
    If Pliskova wins in straight sets and Kvitova wins in three sets, Pliskova qualifies (position tbd)
    Any other combination of results will mean qualification comes down to Thursday’s matches

ORDER OF PLAY - TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2018

Start 7:30pm SGT
    [2] Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) vs. [4] Petra Kvitova (CZE)

Followed by
    [6] Elina Svitolina (UKR) vs. [7] Karolina Pliskova (CZE)

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    It would be great if she wins the whole thing. Second year in a row with five winners for the five major tourneys.
    That was just to warm you up for the return of the Serena slam in 2019
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast