Agree Agree:  23
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

2019 Oscars Noms and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    I would love to hear from any of you who have been seeing movies this year what you think will be top Oscar contenders. I haven't yet seen any that are getting the buzz. I usually see all the "front-runners" starting about November. And last year, that meant I saw 27 in about 3 months. I enjoyed that way of doing it, but it surely wouldn't be for everyone. GH
    These are a few pipular ones. I havenít kept up much.
    Black Panther - hope itís nominated
    Crazy Rich Asians
    A Star Is Born
    Tully?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 10-11-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

2019 Oscars

And we're off! (Maybe the mods can move some comments over from the 2018 thread?)

Re: 2019 Oscars

I hope Isle of Dogs doesn't get ignored, although I suspect it will be. To me, it's a ton of fun to watch and Wes Anderson's best effort in many years.
    Last edited by MJ2004; 10-12-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Every so often, the academy should have like a CORRECTIONS YEAR Oscar, in which movies and actors/actresses that were robbed get their statue.
    Like: Do the Right thing, Brokeback Mountain. Or Peter O'Toole in the Lion in Winter, and reverse Sandra Bullock's Oscar for the Blind Side instead of Gravity.
    This should be one of those years.

Oh. And to have somebody stand up and admit that the fact that they never gave an Oscar to Stanley Kubrick (other than special effects for 2001) is proof that the Oscars are basically a popularity contest.
    Starry starry night

As far as this thread goes, there's irony to me starting it, since I don't watch the ceremony and share ponchi's opinion that they hardly ever get it right and have too many glaring misses. But it is fun to get worked up and have things to debate.

What I value is the opportunity to share our opinions and recommendations about what current movies to see with each other. For example, I can now look for Leave No Trace, which I hadn't heard of (the trailer looks really good).

About having a corrections year, wasn't that last year? Like, GdT for Pan's Labyrinth, Sam Rockwell for Moon, Gary Oldman for EVERYTHING, and Roger Deakins (ffs).
    Last edited by MJ2004; 10-12-2018 at 10:41 AM.

I don't go to the movies but i totally enjoy this and other movie related threads.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Re: 2018 Oscars

I did see Leave No Trace and agree word-for-word with what Shtexas said. Having come out early in the year (by Oscar standards), I did not think of it as a contender.

GH

MJ2004.. thanks for starting the thread. It is great fun to talk about movies, and this year I'm so disgusted with the politics and you-know-who that I look forward to my movie-watching season and all of the comments. It is a great diversion if nothing else.
    GH

So, I've been meaning to ask this question of the TAT collective for a while. Besides new releases in theaters, where do you all find new movies to watch?

It used to be that I would go into my local video store and they would have a wonderfully curated selection, especially in the indie or foreign film sections. Now, it involves so much online sleuthing. In a way we have so much more at our disposal, and in a way it's also gotten harder and so many movies get made and promptly disappear into the ether.

I've been discovering and watching a lot of movies lately, mostly smaller budget stuff that just passed by. A lot of hidden gems. Some mucking through junk that comes with the territory. Probably that escapism thing Glenn alluded to. I've had luck combing through IMDB - often I'll start with an actor/director/writer from one movie I like and search through their work to come across other things.

Does anyone know of any good magazines/sites that recommends movies, especially the ones that get played at film festivals and then disappear off the radar? Now and then I find a good blogger that has reviewed a specific movie and recommends others, but it's usually not a comprehensive enough source of content.

I am most interested in other answers to the query just posted by MJ2004, because what I do is quite limited and probably misses lots of the best stuff. As the year goes along, when I am in the Dayton area, I pay attention to what the artsy theater is showing (The Neon), and go to whatever seems interesting, kind of especially trying to get to gay-themed and foreign films, as a way to show appreciation to him for showing those so often. But when award season nears, I have tended to go with the "front-runners" lists on indiewire.com. That is a pretty effective way to see the ones that end up making splashes on Oscar night, but doesn't identify others that may be of greater merit. GH

Oh, and lists. "The 50 best what-ever"... There can be a lot of rich material in those. The source of the list greatly matters, of course.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I don't go to the movies but i totally enjoy this and other movie related threads.
    I used to go all the time but never do anymore, so I live vicariously through people in this thread!
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

I find that I don't watch nearly as many movies as I used to. It was easy when I just had to check out all the new releases to the video store every week. When those disappeared a few years ago I would use the Movie Network website and record every new release to watch when I was home. Then The Movie Network changed its website and got rid of the listing of new releases. In order to find them now you have to search their schedule spreadsheet day by day to find the premiere times, so I end up missing a lot of great movies.

The only 2 really good films I've seen thus far this year are The Party & The Death of Stalin. I don't expect either film to receive any awards talk of any kind. A shame really.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

In terms of finding new movies, I follow entertainment news through trade sites, so I heard about a good deal and they tend to be on the radar that way. They cover the festivals well. For instance, BlacKkKlansman hasn't been mentioned yet here but is thought of as a lock for award season and dominated the trades for like a week with constant stuff since it did so well at Cannes.

More traditional ways - my local news radio station has a great movie reviewer and I pay attention to what he's seen and likes. He's hilarious, but he's real choosy, so when he says something is great, it's almost always great. He just finished reviewing First Man. He was downright glowing about it, which is highly unusual for him, he's a tough customer, so keep that one in mind for the Oscar race as well. Same goes for the local newspaper movie critic. Both are reliable to me. Also, I'm an old Ebert & Roeper fan, so I still try to read/watch Roeper's reviews too.

Outside of that, if you're talking about more art house movies, where I live has two small theaters nearby that has these movies and I'm in the burbs. There's two slightly bigger ones downtown that always have a great selection.

A site to try - agoodmovietowatch.com - Some people like it, some don't. But worth a shot since you're in search of better ways to find movies.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast