Agree Agree:  23
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 Oscars Noms and Discussion

Beale Street's lack of love is pretty egregious and, for me, appalling.

I do take solace in the fact that, for a change, nothing nominated for Best Picture is flat-out awful (haven't seen Vice yet, but I can't imagine it's terrible), but there is an awful lot of mediocrity represented. Green Book? Bohemian Rhapsody? Yeesh, that's weak. Black Panther is about as good as a superhero movie can be, but something about it being here still feels weird.
    Last edited by munchin; 01-22-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

I feel like that Popular Film award is coming back full force for 2020 if Roma wins on the heels of The Shape of Water.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I feel like that Popular Film award is coming back full force for 2020 if Roma wins on the heels of The Shape of Water.
    Oh no! Maybe even more so if 'The Favourite' wins. More people might at least check out Roma before and after the Oscars, since it's already on Netflix. Though I wonder if three box office juggernauts in the nominations (Black Panther, Star is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody) will stem the tide.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Of the movies in the Best Picture category, there are 2 that I did not like nearly enough for a Best Picture nod:
    A Star is Born.....as others have said, I don't know why the 4th telling of the same story is getting so much love. I thought the performances were good and I liked the movie (but did not love the movie). I would not have included it in the Best Picture or lead acting categories. Not saying any of them were bad, just not up to the level needed for those nominations.
    The Favourite.....on the other hand, I didn't like this movie at all. I think I have trouble with movies where none of the characters are really likable. And this one struck me that way. I was really glad when it was over, and have already found it completely forgettable. So, having said that, I did see all 3 of the major female performances to be quite good. So I am not surprised that all 3 of them were nominated, but I will be disappointed if any of them win.

I have not seen Bohemian Rhapsody, but I might go tomorrow, since it is still playing locally. Otherwise, my picks for the moment in the major categories (and this is going to be a bit redundant, since for me there was one movie that clearly outshone the others this year):

Best Picture: Roma
    Best Director: Cuarón for Roma
    Best Actress: Yalitza Aparicio, with Glenn Close 2nd.
    Best Actor: Viggo Mortensen, with Christian Bale, 2nd.
    Best Supporting Actress: Regina King, with Marina de Tavira 2nd.
    Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali (note: I really liked Green Book, clearly better than some of the rest of you. My only problem with Mahershala Ali winning "supporting" is that I saw his role, like that of Viggo Mortensen, as a lead role. But since he is in this category, I did think he was the best of these 5, and it was a performance worthy of a win).

I would also give Roma Original Screenplay and Cinematography. It is the only one of the Foreign Language nominees I have seen, so it isn't really fair to say I would give it that. Based on the upcoming schedule for our artsy theater, I should be able to see Cold War and Capernaum between now and the Oscars.

I don't feel qualified to comment on whether Roma should also get the technical awards for which it is nominated. (sound and the like). But this is one year when, though having one Best Picture nominee yet to see, I think Roma is the winner by a mile.....the film of the decade for me. So I would be happy with it winning in all 10 categories.

GH

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

So, I watched Roma with my boyfriend, who felt strongly that the plot was pretty forgettable because he felt the story it told is ubiquitous in Latin America (he's from there) and that it is already told, in different forms, in other productions, particularly in telenovelas/soap operas.

I don't agree on his overall take of the film and I think the tone of storytelling matters a lot, but I kind of also see his point. I loved the flow and dialogues, but I didn't find the script itself that innovative. I'm curious, Glenn and others who loved it, whether you feel it told a new story or you just enjoyed other aspects about it?

I'm interested in hearing as well why people love it since I haven't seen it. I've read some user reviews on IMDB since I didn't think I was getting a good picture from the critics and there was a great one that was rather funny that touched on a lot of maybe what non-critics have said about the movie. I don't mind posting it here, but don't want Glenn to see red since ultimately this review is saying the movie is boring and it sounds like it's his favorite movie in a decade.

I have no interest in seeing The Favourite, but it is really nice to see Olivia Colman getting her moment in the sun. The Night Manager really felt like it flew under the radar in the US and she was fantastic in that and won a GG too, but when she and everyone else from the show won, people were basically asking what it was. So I do hope this brings more attention to her, she's a wonderful actress.

I'm thrilled that Spike was nominated for Best Director. Embarrassing that it's his first one.

My random thoughts on all of the above.

Roma has a bloated running time so it is no surprise the editors didn’t go for it.

The Director’s branch remains one with the most integrity so Bradley Cooper not getting nominated isn’t a total surprise.

Nice to see Spike and his movie was not forgotten.

Why is this his first nomination? Cause he didn’t play nice with the industry in the past, and they treated him in kind. This time he kept quiet, and got justly rewarded.

The Favourite is outstanding filmmaking except for the very end.

I was surprised by both acting nominations for Roma since neither actress is deservingly great in it.

Too many indie types currently in the academy for a mainstream film to win best picture.

Roma indeed is meh, but to each their own.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

A general comment I have made in various forms before: I do not sit and evaluate movies based on whether each technical aspect is superb or not. And I have a fairly unique set of life experiences that helped to formulate my opinions about many things, and movies are clearly included. But regardless, the concept of which movies one likes is totally a personal choice. That's why, I'm not offended if people don't like the same movies I do. And I hope they are not offended when, in reverse, I almost can't sit through super-hero or high-action movies, and most of all, movies with excessive gratuitous violence. Those genres do nothing for me.

For me, Roma was a very unique telling of a type of story that still obviously needs to be told. And the cast really made those roles come alive for me (so I'm disagreeing with the comment that neither actress was great). I would not have cut one second from the film, so for me, it wasn't in any way too long, and certainly not boring. The way he used black-and-white cinematography and the choices of some of the scenes, including some of the lingering moments, helped to make the whole experience thrilling for me (my one comment about techniques). That said, it is obviously not for everyone. Remember, I had a similarly strong positive reaction to Mudbound last year......which I still think is only a small step behind how I feel about Roma. And many folks did not agree.

And one other point: I did see Roma on the big screen, while most people will have seen it on Netflix. I'm not sure how much that made a difference. But as I, minutes after the movie, was oozing about it to the proprietor of our artsy theater, he said he was really glad I saw it on the big screen, because he felt the movie strongly needed to be seen that way.

Earlier in my life, and here I mean earlier in my adulthood, I picked my Oscar favorites based almost exclusively on how entertained I was. Now, clearly, the movie's degree of social importance goes into my thinking of the lasting value of a movie. And I do think a Best Picture winner should have lasting value. The year that I think I realized how much this mattered to me was the year that Shakespeare in Love won Best Picture. I was appalled that something I had felt was such a piece of fluff got that award.

One more comment sort of as a reaction to JazzNU's comments about Olivia Colman. I thought she was perfect for that role, and note that I said above that I have no trouble with her nomination. But I really did not like the movie (again, probably for very complex and personal reasons), so I would rather the actual awards go elsewhere. Ditto for the 2 supporting nominations for that movie.....wonderful acting, but I think the awards are more deserved elsewhere. I can easily understand the concept that there was "outstanding filmmaking" going on in The Favourite. But I simply didn't like much of anything about the story or how it was handled.

I'm a bit surprised that there was no love for the 2 female leads in Mary, Queen of Scots, since there was so much love for The Favourite. I didn't like either movie, but in both movies, I thought the female roles (a total of 5) were rather superbly acted.

Again, feel free to disagree, even strongly. I know my movie-watching is weird at best. For one thing, I make almost no time for movies until late autumn. From early December to mid-January, we are actually minimally busy, since school is out and our ensembles do not perform, and the weather is not conducive for backpacking. So I seem to have about a 6-week window for seeing everything, often at a rate of 5 or more per week. For better or worse, that does make my viewing of a year's worth of the Oscar-contending movies happen in a very short time. I think that helps me compare them, but it also might skew how I look at the whole year's output.

After I see Bohemian Rhapsody, I might try to take in Mary Poppins Returns, simply because it is a musical. And then I'll catch the Shorts and some of the foreign films in February. Then I'm likely done until next autumn.

By the way, I was sorry to see Leave No Trace get so little love. That was one I saw that I really liked. It probably was hurt in the awards competitions by coming out when it did.

We'll see what happens.
    GH

In case I haven't said too much already, a few comments solely about Green Book:

There are movies one likes partly because of how much they touch on significant events in one's own life. Last year, that movie for me was Call Me by Your Name. This year, it was Green Book. Nothing like what happened to them happened to me, but my formative years were in the South that was shown in the movie.

That said, I had a couple of minor criticisms.....I actually thought they did not show the bigoted whites as being as bad as I myself remember them (and I am not a person of color, who would have every reason to remember them even worse). I remember far too many incidents, including ones involving my own father, that were at least as bad as the treatment they received in the movie. And signs on drinking fountains, restrooms, restaurants, soda fountains at drug stores, etc, made it very clear which race was welcome there.

And there was one minor point that I was surprised about. When they showed the sign at the town limits of that town with a "sundown law," the sign was more benign than they often were. The sign said (and I'm quoting it as exactly as I can remember it, so maybe not exact, but very close): "Whites only allowed in the city limits after sundown." Those signs clearly existed, and they usually were far less polite, including the use of the N word. This was especially true of signs added by citizens (not therefore the official ones). But even those unofficial signs often stayed up for a very long time, even years.

So I actually thought the movie was a little kind to the white supremacists of the South. But if you hadn't lived through it, you would likely not think so, since they look pretty bad.

GH

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I'm interested in hearing as well why people love it since I haven't seen it. I've read some user reviews on IMDB since I didn't think I was getting a good picture from the critics and there was a great one that was rather funny that touched on a lot of maybe what non-critics have said about the movie. I don't mind posting it here, but don't want Glenn to see red since ultimately this review is saying the movie is boring and it sounds like it's his favorite movie in a decade.

I have no interest in seeing The Favourite, but it is really nice to see Olivia Colman getting her moment in the sun. The Night Manager really felt like it flew under the radar in the US and she was fantastic in that and won a GG too, but when she and everyone else from the show won, people were basically asking what it was. So I do hope this brings more attention to her, she's a wonderful actress.

I'm thrilled that Spike was nominated for Best Director. Embarrassing that it's his first one.

I was very underwhelmed by The Night Manager in general, maybe because I watched it after it won all the awards. I thought the story was weak and that it was some of Hugh Laurie's less impressive work. But Olivia Colman was great and has been great in everything she's ever touched ever since The Mitchell and Webb Situtation and Green Wing (I watch a lot of British TV) so I'm thrilled she's getting recognition at this level.

I wasn't going to post this, but with Glenn's mention of seeing this in the theater, thought it more relevant now.

AMC Theatres & Regal Bar Netflix’s ‘Roma’ From Oscar Best Picture Nom Showcases

EXCLUSIVE: AMC Theatres and Regal Cinemas are sticking to their guns, and will only play those Oscar best picture nominees who had a traditional theatrical release and respected the 90-day cinema window.

This morning in the wake of Netflix’s Roma earning 10 Oscar noms, leading exhibitor AMC promptly issued a statement that Alfonso Cuaron’s black and white Spanish film will not be included in its annual Best Picture Showcase which features all the Oscar-nominated titles in the category.

AMC’s statement is below:

“For more than a decade, movie-lovers have enjoyed the AMC Best Picture Showcase to catch up on the nominated films that played at AMC throughout the prior year. This year, Academy members nominated a film that was never licensed to AMC to play in our theatres. As such, it is not included in the AMC Best Picture Showcase.”

Regal Cinemas is also not playing Roma as part of their Oscar best picture showcase, but buried that lead in their press release this morning, simply listing that Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Green Book, A Star Is Born and Vice were part of their Best Picture Film Festival. Regal’s Best Picture Film Festival runs Feb. 15-Feb. 24 with passes available on Jan. 23 at their box office or Regal mobile app for $35.

In an effort to give Roma a qualifying theatrical release and meet director Alfonso Cuaron’s wants for a big screen play of the film, Netflix rolled out Roma on Nov. 21 at the IFC Center in New York, and the Landmark 57 and Pico Blvd location in Hollywood. They expanded gradually to Academy voter markets for two weekends after that before streaming Roma worldwide on Dec. 14. Deadline hears that exhibitors were offered to play Roma after that period at a generous rental rate that worked in their favor.

Typically the big chains like AMC and Regal do not play day and date theatrical SVOD releases, or in this case something akin to the truncated one that Netflix executed.

We also hear that Cinemark will not be playing Roma however the chain has yet to confirm that.

AMC, Regal and Cinemark were all offered to play Roma on its opening theatrical date we understand, but they refused due to the shortened theatrical window.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/netflix...mc-1202539240/

Can't blame the theaters for protecting their interests especially since Netflix could have released Roma via a traditional theatrical release before making it available on Netflix itself.

Netflix did what was in their interest, the theaters are reacting in kind.

Beale Street has had very little traction thus far during award season so it is not a surprise that the Academy gave it minimal love.

As for Bohemian Rhapsody, out of no where, and much like Gladiator, won Best Picture at the Golden Globes. We know that Gladiator went on to win the Oscar. History could potentially repeat itself but like I said up-thread, the current constituency in the academy is quite different from years past.

Now that the Bryan Singer exposé is out what happens to "Bohemian Rhapsody"? Nothing?
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Now that the Bryan Singer exposé is out what happens to "Bohemian Rhapsody"? Nothing?
    Potentially, yes. Why? Because he has been completely ghosted out of any award consideration campaign materials. It's as if he doesn't exist and the film directed itself.

As for the movie, it isn't very good at all except for the last 20 minutes.
    Last edited by Miles; 01-23-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast