Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: WTA P ATP 250 Moscow 10/15 - 10/21 2018

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    If my dates math is right, Sabalenka has played every week since April 21, except for second weeks of slams and one week where there were no tournaments because of Fed Cup.
    And so far, that has worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I assume they know what is best for them and their goals. Fans questioning players’ schedules with any seriousness has always seemed very strange to me. They are more aware of the risks and rewards than we are, and what works for one person may not work for another.
    You have totally complained about and criticized many aspects of Muguruza's schedule.

I assume they know what is best for them and their goals. Fans questioning players’ schedules with any seriousness has always seemed very strange to me. They are more aware of the risks and rewards than we are, and what works for one person may not work for another.
    You're absolutely right. Bernard Tomic knows exactly what is best for him and we have no right to question him. As knows Nick Kyrigos. As knew JJ. As did Serena when she came back too soon earlier this year. As knew Agassi when he got fat. As the list goes on.

These people are athletes from all walks of life from around the world. To suggest they are all capable of making educated career choices every step of the way is silly.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

She’s young, has massive potential, and is hungry to play. That’s quite refreshing to me. This season is s learning curve for her and the fact she has withdrawn this week suggests to me the only reason she played so much was to qualify, and now she knows she can’t she has done the sensible thing. Nothing too wrong with that imo, and I’m sure next season she won’t need to play so much to get a spot

If my dates math is right, Sabalenka has played every week since April 21, except for second weeks of slams and one week where there were no tournaments because of Fed Cup.
    Almost. Looks like she could have played the week before RG, and 2 weeks after Wimbledon.

She's at 24 tournaments and 2 Fed Cup weekends for the year.

Since she started the year as a 19 year old ranked around 70th, it's not actually a crazy schedule. It's just the schedule of someone ranked lower than she is now.

This is always a really interesting career point for a young player with potential. Will they start acting like a top player, a slam contender, and plan accordingly? Add in more training weeks? I think players like Thiem and Svitolina are the current bad examples. Zverev is probably near the top of the list (focusing on bulking up, acting like a star).

I'll be curious to see how Osaka, Sabalenka, Coric, and Kasatkina approach their scheduling next year. They all get a pass from me for any overplaying this year, but I hope they adjust.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

And for the most part Sabalenka has been playing well, so doesn't seem like she's in need of any rest. Now, watch her get injured in her next match.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS - Monday
    Women's Singles - First Round
    [5] A. Sevastova (LAT) d M. Rybarikova (SVK) 46 75 63
    [6] D. Kasatkina (RUS) d L. Tsurenko (UKR) 64 76(1)
    [8] A. Kontaveit (EST) d [WC] A. Potapova (RUS) 26 63 75
    A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) d A. Tomljanovic (AUS) 75 64
    A. Sasnovich (BLR) d M. Buzarnescu (ROU) 63 64
    Y. Putintseva (KAZ) d I. Begu (ROU) 62 60

Women's Doubles - First Round
    K. Mladenovic (FRA) / G. Voskoboeva (KAZ) d I. Khromacheva (RUS) / N. Stojanovic (SRB) 63 60
    D. Jurak (CRO) / R. Olaru (ROU) d K. Christian (USA) / S. Santamaria (USA) 63 61

Men's Results
    https://www.atpworldtour.com/en/scor...daily-schedule

And so far, that has worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For now, but that is not sustainable. And from a fan perspective, I’m already sick of her because she’s always there.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Maybe she really, really, really likes to play? Maybe it is not so much of "job" for her?
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    You have totally complained about and criticized many aspects of Muguruza's schedule.
    I've complained and vented about the frequency of her injuries, not her schedule. I'm not in a position to judge her injury situation, either - I freely admit that!
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 10-16-2018 at 11:52 AM.

For now, but that is not sustainable. And from a fan perspective, I’m already sick of her because she’s always there.
    We don't know if it's not sustainable or if she even plans/planned on sustaining that pace. The second point is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    You're absolutely right. Bernard Tomic knows exactly what is best for him and we have no right to question him. As knows Nick Kyrigos. As knew JJ. As did Serena when she came back too soon earlier this year. As knew Agassi when he got fat. As the list goes on.

These people are athletes from all walks of life from around the world. To suggest they are all capable of making educated career choices every step of the way is silly.
    I 100% disagree with you on every point. And I never said they know exactly what's best for them. You're a serial twister of words. I said they know better that we do. It would be irrational to believe otherwise.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 10-16-2018 at 11:54 AM.

I 100% disagree with you on every point. And I never said they know exactly what's best for them. You're a serial twister of words. I said they know better that we do. It would be irrational to believe otherwise.
    Lol, you know how celebrities hook up and get engaged, say Priyanka and Nick Jonas, as they are the couple of the moment. Everyone knows it will never last -- except them.

This conversation about players knowing what is best for them is something like that. Sure Priyanka and Nick are the ones in the relationship and they are the ones who know their relationship best, and so believe it will last forever but we on the outside just know it will never last.

The only exception to this I can think of is Kournikova and Iglesias.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

We should start a thread of "When we were right, when we were wrong" about players
    (Example: we have been wrong about Roger being finished many times).
    Starry starry night

ORDER OF PLAY - WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2018

CENTRE COURT start 11:00 am

WTA - [Q] O. Jabeur (TUN) vs [3] [WC] S. Stephens (USA)
    WTA - [Q] V. Zvonareva (RUS) vs [2] K. Pliskova (CZE)
    WTA - [LL] V. Grammatikopoulou (GRE) vs A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)
    Not Before 3:30 pm
    ATP - [Q] L. Rosol (CZE) vs [3] [WC] K. Khachanov (RUS)
    Not Before 6:30 pm
    WTA - A. Cornet (FRA) vs [6] D. Kasatkina (RUS)
    Not Before 8:00 pm
    ATP - [1] M. Cecchinato (ITA) vs A. Mannarino (FRA)

COURT 1 start 11:00 am

ATP - P. Herbert (FRA) vs [Q] A. Bublik (KAZ)
    ATP - [LL] R. Berankis (LTU) vs A. Bedene (SLO)
    WTA - [4] K. Bertens (NED) vs A. Sasnovich (BLR)
    WTA - D. Gavrilova (AUS) vs J. Konta (GBR)
    WTA - E. Rodina (RUS) / A. Tomljanovic (AUS) vs [WC] N. Abduraimova (UZB) / A. Kalinskaya (RUS)

COURT 2 start 11:00 am

WTA - [8] A. Kontaveit (EST) vs K. Mladenovic (FRA)
    Not Before 12:30 pm
    WTA - [5] A. Sevastova (LAT) vs Y. Putintseva (KAZ)
    ATP - B. Paire (FRA) vs [Q] E. Gerasimov (BLR)
    Not Before 4:00 pm
    ATP - [WC] E. Karlovskiy (RUS) / D. Medvedev (RUS) vs [2] A. Krajicek (USA) / R. Ram (USA)
    ATP - [3] M. Mirnyi (BLR) / P. Oswald (AUT) vs H. Nys (FRA) / B. Paire (FRA)

COURT 3 start 11:00 am

WTA - D. Jurak (CRO) / R. Olaru (ROU) vs N. Kichenok (UKR) / A. Rodionova (AUS)
    ATP - [PR] N. Mektic (CRO) / J. Melzer (AUT) vs D. Molchanov (UKR) / I. Zelenay (SVK)
    Not Before 2:00 pm
    ATP - [1] J. Peralta (CHI) / H. Zeballos (ARG) vs M. Jaziri (TUN) / N. Kyrgios (AUS)
    WTA - H. Dart (GBR) / A. Potapova (RUS) vs K. Mladenovic (FRA) / G. Voskoboeva (KAZ)
    WTA - [Alt] O. Doroshina (RUS) / P. Monova (RUS) v
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast