Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Re: WTA P5 Wuhan 9/23-9/30 2018

Sabalenka continued her form beating Svitolina. And another good win for Kenin, this time over Goerges. Is she a big American hope or is she a big surprise? Iíve never actually watched her play and had never heard of her before this season

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Sabalenka continued her form beating Svitolina. And another good win for Kenin, this time over Goerges. Is she a big American hope or is she a big surprise? Iíve never actually watched her play and had never heard of her before this season
    Curious to hear the report on Kenin. I haven't paid much attention. She was one of two teenagers to make the 3rd round of the US Open, and has a couple Top 10 wins this year. Maybe I'll try to catch her next match in Wuhan (on replay).

Muguruza won back-to-back matches for the first time since the French Open, and Wozniacki got a much-needed win. Hoping for some blockbuster semis.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Garcia out already, and so begins her expected fall down the rankings. World number 1 Halep has just been bagelled by Cibulkova in her first set. Donít know what to make of this if she loses
    Last edited by liam_valid; 09-25-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Halep has been more competitive the second set and actually served for it. Cibulkova is now serving at 5 all second set.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Who is the woman calling the matches on WTA TV? Steph something.

Halep has just been bagelled by Cibulkova in her first set. Don’t know what to make of this if she loses
    Halep is taking an injury timeout. Maybe something lingering after a lot of tennis in August.

Wow, on match point for Cibulkova, Halep finally got the advantage in long rally, came in for an easy swinging volley, and hit it right to Cibulkova in the forehand corner. Cibulkova hit a pretty pass crosscourt. Weird decision for Halep to go to the forehand, although Domi's backhand had looked pretty strong. But Domi was planted in the FH corner.

Their h2h is 5 of 7 for Domi I think.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

WTA Insider
    ‏Verified account
    @WTA_insider

Halep said the back injury occurred when hitting a forehand in the 1st game during practice with Kvitova on Sunday. Stayed in bed the last two days, tried to get treatment, ran out of time. Didn’t want to withdraw or retire because she worked hard post-USO, wanted matches.

“If I came here I want to give everything, the last hope and chance. Even like this, I was close in the 2nd set. This match gives confidence that my level of tennis is really good. So I’m not disappointed. I’m just sad that it happened from nowhere this injury."

Kenin was a highly touted junior--she won the Orange Bowl and made the finals of the US Open, so I think expectations were high, but she's progressing up the ranks much faster than anticipated.

I'm assuming she trains with Bolletieri, because she has one of his trademark factory-issue playing styles.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 09-25-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

ORDER OF PLAY - WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2018

CENTRE COURT start 11:00 am

[3] A. Kerber (GER)
    vs [16] A. Barty (AUS)
    A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) vs [5] P. Kvitova (CZE)
    [WC] Q. Wang (CHN) vs D. Gavrilova (AUS)
    D. Cibulkova (SVK) vs [13] D. Kasatkina (RUS)

Not Before 7:30 pm
    [Q] M. Puig (PUR) vs [2] C. Wozniacki (DEN)
    [14] G. Muguruza (ESP) vs [Q] K. Siniakova (CZE)

COURT 1 start 1:00 pm

[Q] S. Kenin (USA) vs A. Sabalenka (BLR)
    [1] T. Babos (HUN) / K. Mladenovic (FRA) vs K. Christian (USA) / S. Santamaria (USA)
    S. Zhang (CHN) vs A. Kontaveit (EST)
    [8] L. Hradecka (CZE) / E. Makarova (RUS) vs A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) / A. Sevastova (LAT)

COURT 2 start 1:00 pm

S. Hsieh (TPE) / B. Mattek-Sands (USA) vs [2] A. Sestini Hlavackova (CZE) / B. Strycova (CZE)
    L. Kichenok (UKR) / K. Srebotnik (SLO) vs [6] E. Mertens (BEL) / D. Schuurs (NED)
    [WC] Y. Duan (CHN) / Y. Wang (CHN) vs [3] A. Barty (AUS) / C. Vandeweghe (USA)

Even by WTA standards, the seed bloodbath is Wuhan is hilarious and embarrassing for the tour.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

ORDER OF PLAY - THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2018

CENTRE COURT start 2:30 pm

[16] A. Barty (AUS
    ) vs A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)

Not Before 4:00 pm
    [WC] Q. Wang (CHN) vs [Q] M. Puig (PUR)

Not Before 6:30 pm
    D. Cibulkova (SVK) vs A. Sabalenka (BLR)
    A. Kontaveit (EST) vs [Q] K. Siniakova (CZE)

COURT 1 start 2:30 pm

[1] T. Babos (HUN) / K. Mladenovic (FRA)
    vs S. Aoyama (JPN) / L. Marozava (BLR)
    [4] G. Dabrowski (CAN) / Y. Xu (CHN) vs [6] E. Mertens (BEL) / D. Schuurs (NED)
    A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) / A. Sevastova (LAT) vs [WC] Y. Duan (CHN) / Y. Wang (CHN)
    [7] N. Melichar (USA) / K. Peschke (CZE) vs [2] A. Sestini Hlavackova (CZE) / B. Strycova (CZE)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Even by WTA standards, the seed bloodbath is Wuhan is hilarious and embarrassing for the tour.
    It's the Appearance Fee Open
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Disagree. Seeds are an arbitrary standard. I don't think statistical upsets are by default an embarrassment. Only the quality can be disappointing, not the result, and no loss is an embarrassment at this level except Kyrgios tanking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast