Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: WTA P Tokyo 9/17 - 9/23 2018

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Muguruza down 1-6, 2-6 to Riske

But Osaka has just beaten Cibulkova by a similar score line 6-2 6-1
    Garbi hasn't won back-to-back matches since the French semi. And she beat Riske easily in the spring. I wonder if she has lingering injuries, or if it's a confidence issue. She made the semis of Tokyo last year.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-19-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Between Hsieh winning last week and Cibulkova losing this week, all is right in the world again! Cheaters never prosper.
    You guys are a mess

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Garbi hasn't won back-to-back matches since the French semi. And she beat Riske easily in the spring. I wonder if she has lingering injuries, or if it's a confidence issue. She made the semis of Tokyo last year.
    Only winning 3 games. There must be a story.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

ORDER OF PLAY - THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2018

MAIN ARENA start 12:00 noon

A. Kontaveit (EST) vs [8] B. Strycova (CZE)
    Not Before 1:30 pm
    [WC] V. Azarenka (BLR) vs [7] A. Barty (AUS)
    D. Vekic (CRO) vs J. Konta (GBR)
    Not Before 5:30 pm
    [1] [WC] C. Wozniacki (DEN)
    vs C. Giorgi (ITA)

DOME start 12:00 noon

A. Rosolska (POL) / A. Spears (USA) vs [2] G. Dabrowski (CAN) / Y. Xu (CHN)
    M. Kato (JPN) / M. Ninomiya (JPN) vs L. Kichenok (UKR) / K. Srebotnik (SLO)
    After suitable rest - [1] A. Sestini Hlavackova (CZE) / B. Strycova (CZE) vs M. Imanishi (JPN) / A. Zaja (GER)
    [4] R. Atawo (USA) / A. Groenefeld (GER) vs B. Bencic (SUI) / A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Only winning 3 games. There must be a story.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
    I hope there's a good explanation, and it's physical, not waning interest. Then I think, everyone's different. Not all players will be 100% committed week in, week out. I guess being a fan means accepting them for who they are. Just wish we knew what was going on. And I wish I felt that way every time I see that she loses badly to a sub-Top 50 playerl

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Monday
    Singles - First Round
    [6] G. Muguruza (ESP) d B. Bencic (SUI) 62 64
    C. Giorgi (ITA) d [Q] M. Doi (JPN) 62 61
    D. Cibulkova (SVK) d [Q] N. Hibino (JPN) 61 57 63
    A. Kontaveit (EST) d K. Mladenovic (FRA) 63 76(5)
    D. Gavrilova (AUS) d [WC] Kr. Pliskova (CZE) 76(2) 36 76(8) - saved two match points
    A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) d A. Sasnovich (BLR) 63 64

Doubles - First Round
    [1] A. Sestini Hlavackova (CZE) / B. Strycova (CZE) d [WC] E. Hayashi (JPN) / M. Uchijima (JPN) 64 60
    M. Imanishi (JPN) / A. Zaja (GER) d N. Kichenok (UKR) / A. Rodionova (AUS) 76(2) 36 13-11

Tuesday
    Singles - First Round
    D. Vekic (CRO) d [5] S. Stephens (USA) 64 64
    [7] A. Barty (AUS) d C. Vandeweghe (USA) 46 63 75
    [8] B. Strycova (CZE) d [Q] Z. Diyas (KAZ) 64 64
    [WC] V. Azarenka (BLR) d [WC] K. Nara (JPN) 64 75
    [Q] A. Riske (USA) d [Q] E. Bouchard (CAN) 64 64
    J. Konta (GBR) d [Q] G. Dabrowski (CAN) 62 60

Doubles - First Round
    [4] R. Atawo (USA) / A. Groenefeld (GER) d N. Hibino (JPN) / O. Kalashnikova (GEO) 61 36 10-3
    A. Rosolska (POL) / A. Spears (USA) d M. Inoue (JPN) / C. Muramatsu (JPN) 63 63

Wednesday
    Singles - Second Round
    [2] C. Garcia (FRA) d A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) 64 26 75 - saved three match points
    [3] N. Osaka (JPN) d D. Cibulkova (SVK) 62 61
    [4] Ka. Pliskova (CZE) d D. Gavrilova (AUS) 46 64 64
    [Q] A. Riske (USA) d [6] G. Muguruza (ESP) 61 62

Doubles - First Round
    [2] G. Dabrowski (CAN) / Y. Xu (CHN) d S. Aoyama (JPN) / Y. Duan (CHN) 63 62
    L. Kichenok (UKR) / K. Srebotnik (SLO) d [3] H. Chan (TPE) / Z. Yang (CHN) 63 64
    B. Bencic (SUI) / A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) d K. Nara (JPN) / R. Ozaki (JPN) 61 64
    M. Kato (JPN) / M. Ninomiya (JPN) d M. Kobori (JPN) / A. Shimizu (JPN) 64 63

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Vekic just won the first set 6-3 over Konta. Despite only hitting 27% of first serves in play, Vekic didnít surrender a single break point! Further evidence that Kontaís trip to the top ten was a fluke

The only match we sat all the way through at the US Open was Venus vs Giorgi. We came away from that match thinking Venus escaped by the skin of her teeth.

When I heard that Woz had lost to Giorgi at first I was surprised but I just watched most of the match. Giorgi still hits hard and harder but she's leaned to do a bit more.

The comms mentioned Woz has been suffering from injury. Does know when she was injured?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    The only match we sat all the way through at the US Open was Venus vs Giorgi. We came away from that match thinking Venus escaped by the skin of her teeth.

When I heard that Woz had lost to Giorgi at first I was surprised but I just watched most of the match. Giorgi still hits hard and harder but she's leaned to do a bit more.

The comms mentioned Woz has been suffering from injury. Does know when she was injured?
    First I'm hearing of an injury. This was only her fifth match since Wimbledon. She did retire from her first match at Cincinnati, then lost in the 2nd round of the US Open, so maybe there something. She also los early in Montreal after holding match points. Maybe it's a psychological wound.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-20-2018 at 01:57 PM.

ORDER OF PLAY - FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2018

[Q] A. Riske (USA) vs [4] Ka. Pliskova (CZE)
    Not Before 1:00 pm
    D. Vekic (CRO) vs [2] C. Garcia (FRA)
    Not Before 3:00 pm
    [3] N. Osaka (JPN)
    vs [8] B. Strycova (CZE)
    Not Before 6:00 pm
    C. Giorgi (ITA) vs [WC] V. Azarenka (BLR)

DOME start Not Before 2:00 pm

M. Kato (JPN) / M. Ninomiya (JPN) vs [2] G. Dabrowski (CAN) / Y. Xu (CHN)
    After suitable rest - [1] A. Sestini Hlavackova (CZE) / B. Strycova (CZE) vs [4] R. Atawo (USA) / A. Groenefeld (GER)

Heard about Wozniacki injury during USO Series.
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Heard about Wozniacki injury during USO Series.
    Nothing was taped that I could see. Do you remember what it is?

Nothing was taped that I could see. Do you remember what it is?
    Not sure about US Open specifically, but she had a leg injury that took her out of DC and I think a knee injury that took her out of either Cincy or Montreal. Not sure if it was the same leg or a related problem. Whatever her injury is, she's had a few too many the second half the season, seems like she'd do well to shut it down, give her body a rest, and come back strong beginning of next year to defend her title.

ORDER OF PLAY - SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2018

[4] Ka. Pliskova (CZE)
    vs D. Vekic (CRO)
    Not Before 1:00 pm
    C. Giorgi (ITA) vs [3] N. Osaka (JPN)
    Not Before 4:00 pm
    DOUBLES FINAL - [1] A. Sestini Hlavackova (CZE) / B. Strycova (CZE) vs M. Kato (JPN) / M. Ninomiya (JPN)

ORDER OF PLAY - SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2018

MAIN ARENA start 11:00 am

SINGLES FINAL - [3] N. Osaka (JPN) vs [4] Ka. Pliskova (CZE)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast