Agree Agree:  135
Likes Likes:  90
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: '18 USO Day 13 OoP & discussion

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Every time Osaka serves I hear a noise that sounds like the ball hitting the net, but thereís no net call. I guess itís probably the echo of the roof but I only hear it when Osaka serves and not Serena. Strange
    OMG I was watching with a friend and we were both saying the same thing. I think Putinseva does it as well

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    What precisely is the rule regarding verbal abuse? It would be great if someone could cite the language from the rules. But if I had a dollar for every time I saw Andy Roddick verbally abuse a chair umpire with no violation called (hey, Fergus! What's up?!?!?), I could make a few $25 Kiva loans.

And that's what gets to the point Serena tried to make in her appeal to Brian. Guys do this all the time. Roddick was fond of words like "incompetent", "stupid," etc. Serena called Carlos a "thief." And boom, game penalty.
    And from Serena's presser, the limelight will be back on sexism in tennis, because this was pointed out. The men can curse a blue streak and not get so much as a warning, let alone a game penalty.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 09-08-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Poor Naomi. Her moment is totally ruined.
    She seemed so pitiful during the trophy presentation and it was so sad, because she should be able to celebrate since she played so well. I hope she will be ok. It almost seems she could fall into a funk because of this.

Chrissy just advocated for coaching from the stands. Yeah let’s see how that works out when a coach is literally shouting instructions at his player from point to point.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Mardy Fish
    @MardyFish
    .@espn just showed Serena and coach while he was “coaching”. She wasn’t even looking. Believe what you want.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Mardy Fish
    @MardyFish
    .@espn just showed Serena and coach while he was “coaching”. She wasn’t even looking. Believe what you want.
    Hardly a surprise that Mardy doesn’t know the rules. A coach doesn’t get a free pass just because his or her player didn’t see it.

Quote Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
    She seemed so pitiful during the trophy presentation and it was so sad, because she should be able to celebrate since she played so well. I hope she will be ok. It almost seems she could fall into a funk because of this.
    I don't think she'll be in a funk because of this. Naomi can be a ball of nerves. She's in shock. I don't think it's just about what happened at the end. She was in shock after her Indian Wells win as well and there was no controversy. Hopefully she doesn't have the comedown she did from that win, but given how much bigger this is, she might. But it won't be about this ump incident. Her reaction, she shock, her not jumping up and down the way it seems many here assume she would've otherwise, is very much her IMO. She would've been a little more excited and had a little more of a reaction, but it wouldn't be anything over the top if I had to guess. So often she's happy on the inside, more than projecting that glee outward in a boisterous manner.

Quote Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
    OMG I was watching with a friend and we were both saying the same thing. I think Putinseva does it as well
    Hubby and I were also saying the same thing.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Chrissy just advocated for coaching from the stands. Yeah let’s see how that works out when a coach is literally shouting instructions at his player from point to point.
    It won Justine 8 slams
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    It won Justine 8 slams
    Lol. Love it! Post of the Day.

It won Justine 8 slams
    #SHAAAAADDDEEEE LOL

Lucy Sophia
    @lucysophiaj
    I'm gone. This moment. So beautiful

"Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

It won Justine 8 slams
    Love you JT

It won Justine 8 slams
    And I don't remember her EVER getting a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    That's what's happening now - the coaches just shout instructions from the stands - I was sitting near Sloane Stephen's coach at last year's Rogers Cup - it was constant throughout the match.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast