Agree Agree:  135
Likes Likes:  90
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Re: '18 USO Day 13 OoP & discussion

Oh Serena, you should have used your vast experience to handle the situation better. After all it’s not the first time you’ve found yourself in such a mess in this same exact situation on this court.

Having said that, just as she was going to lose the Clijsters match, she was going to lose this one.

But Serena also showed immense class by calming the crowd down during the trophy presentation.

Regardless of who we choose to blame for thise mess, or who we were rooting for, this is not the feeling we want to be left with after a final such as this.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Serena comforting Naomi at the end of the match.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Let me see if I get this straight:
    When one chair umpire finally applies the rules in the way they are written, he is to blame?
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    This is such an odd look for the officials. This is the second extremely high profile example this fortnight of a chair umpire inserting himself into a match (after Kyrgios) controversially. Except the entire tournament, coaches have been letting the serve shot clock get to zero with no intervention. They’ve been letting coaching go unabated (even from Sascha today, as the commentators pointed out). No rhyme, no reason, total subjectivity, to the point of capriciousness. JT’s right- If Serena wasn’t angry, I’d worry she was a robot. Poor officiating, at large, writ large.

Plus the whole ridiculous Cornet thing
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    When one chair umpire finally applies the rules in the way they are written, he is to blame?
    Yes.

That's totally not what happened, so I hope you're not just trying to stir stuff up.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Patrick on twitter saying he knew he was coaching, everybody does it, and even today Sacha was doing it even more than he was
    In the last 4 weeks (since the Canadian Opens), I have noticed the commentators even saying. He or she needs to do X. Oh, see right there, her coach just signaled to her that she needs to do exactly what we were just saying. So, yes, everyone does it. There's on-camera proof of it occurring all the time. It even occurs during tournaments with on-court coaching. It most certainly happened at this year's US Open and none of it was issued violations like Serena received. I personally never saw anything more than a warning, with some of the most egregious ones not even receiving that.

The umps and the US Open are going to have a very hard time looking good on this one with the "well it was against the rules" argument when there is so much evidence of it occurring very obviously without it being called.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

I donít understand the coaching rule. Is it right that a player gets the warning when itís the coach who is trying to cheat? Shouldnít the coach get the warning and sent out of the stadium or something? Iíd hate to be in Patrickís shoes tonight

The coaching violation was justified. They showed the replay.

Racket abuse violation was justified. Serena just didn't realize they were in the same category. The same thing happened to Vandeweghe in her AO loss to Babos. She got a code violation for demanding a banana and not playing until she got one. When she broke a racket later, she thought she'd just get another warning, but got a point penalty instead.

The umpire abuse violation was completely insane. Maybe he thought she was trying to delay the match, or psych herself up, or create distractions to disturb Osaka, or intimidate him into favorable calls. There's probably some truth in one or all of those. She certainly should stop keeping a running commentary against the umpire, including personal insults, at every changeover, long after a call that went against her. Still, "you're a thief" is abuse?

The system keeps increasing the penalty exponentially on purpose, but when it's a slam final, and the next penalty is a game, and it's a gray area, you err on the side of caution. That's crazy.

Frankly, it was more of a disservice to Osaka, who won't get to celebrate the way she should. Controversy or not, she beat Serena pretty comprehensively.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Side note--I've had enough of Ben
    Not even checking. I've definitely had enough of him.

The individual Ramos hurt most today was Naomi. He is indeed a thief. He stole her chance for an unmarred, uncontroversial victory (which she deserved and probably would have accomplished).

He stole the ticket holders' and fans' right for an ending without interference.

Tennis lost today. As Roddick said the other day, they just can't get out of their own way.

That's three strikes against the umpires this tournament.

I mean, If a player hits 6 lets on their serve and the umpire calls 3 of them, the umpire is doing a bad job. I mean, good job on calling the 3 lets correctly, but no, heís doing a bad job. If a player then comes up and says the umpire is doing a bad job (in a subjectively salty tone or whatever) and the umpire gives them another warning, theyíre still doing a bad job. This umpire is in no way above criticism for his decisions.

It’s a weird press conference as Ree goes from candor to delusion from question to question.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What precisely is the rule regarding verbal abuse? It would be great if someone could cite the language from the rules. But if I had a dollar for every time I saw Andy Roddick verbally abuse a chair umpire with no violation called (hey, Fergus! What's up?!?!?), I could make a few $25 Kiva loans.

And that's what gets to the point Serena tried to make in her appeal to Brian. Guys do this all the time. Roddick was fond of words like "incompetent", "stupid," etc. Serena called Carlos a "thief." And boom, game penalty.
    Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

Roddick retired 6 years ago. Did he play under the same rules or have the rules been tightened since then?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    It’s a weird press conference as Ree goes from candor to delusion from question to question.
    Accurate. But I kinda loved it.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast