Agree Agree:  135
Likes Likes:  90
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: '18 USO Day 13 OoP & discussion

The coaching violation was warranted. (But they need to enforce that consistently.)

The point penalty was warranted. Serena broke her racket. That is usually enforced.

But the game penalty for berating Ramos? With Andy Roddick, among the most notorious offenders when it comes to berating chair umpires during a changeover but to my knowledge never penalized for it, in the stands? I don't even remember watching a game penalty being assessed during the match. That was just nuts. It was terrible judgment on Ramos' part.
    Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

Serena is losing lots of finals in her "old" age. Hope Osaka can keep this level and her sophomore slump not too bad.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    But the game penalty for berating Ramos? With Andy Roddick, among the most notorious offenders when it comes to berating chair umpires during a changeover but to my knowledge never penalized for it, in the stands? I don't even remember watching a game penalty being assessed during the match. That was just nuts. It was terrible judgment on Ramos' part.
    I've watched plenty of Kyrgios matches. Some of the times he's gotten some of his highest fines. Don't remember that happening to him. Or Jerzy Janowicz, who I'm not sure people remember a ton anymore, but used to get into it with umps. Fined heavily, don't remember this.

And while I like Sloane, she's gotten warnings multiple times recently that have not risen to anything else that they could have. The umps just keep it at warnings with her, they never take it further, even when she's very clearly cursing. So there's a heap of inconsistency here.

Iím glad Serena is appropriately mortified enough to salvage the situation for Naomi. This must be such an unbearably emotional moment for both of them. That was actually kinda well done.

Lol @ nobody even pretending to answer Tom Rinaldiís questions

I thought Osaka was overrated before the U.S. Open and could not understand why peopled seemed to be singling her out among the young up-and-comers over the other 20 or so who hit hard just like her.

Now I understand. She played with tremendous composure from start to finish in this tournament and outplayed and outfought Sabalenka, the player I thought was destined for the final, on the way to the championship. She almost certainly would have beaten Serena without the point and game penalties that messed up her moment. She also has improved as a mover tremendously since the beginning of the year, when Halep destroyed her at the Australian Open and she did not move well at all. She's the total package.

The next step for her is competing hard. Her coach had to implore her to try (and failed) at Charleston, and her results were mediocre to poor all year after she won Indian Wells. I don't understand that phenomenon on the women's tour, with Muguruza and several other seeming to not be bothered to try most of the time.
    Last edited by jazzyg; 09-08-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In any case, Serena Williams lost today to a better version of herself. Naomi totally deserved this. And I hope Naomi understands that.

I'm pretty sure she understands it. If she didn't, she would have lost her concentration and composure in the final game. She played exactly the same in that final game as she had for the rest of the match.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

And how on Earth did Sascha get through that match without wetting himself? Naomi was calm, cool, and collected. On the hand, Sascha was a complete wreck for the whole match.

Succinct from Vika

victoria azarenka
    Verified account
    @vika7

This is bs

lol

victoria azarenka

@vika7
    32m
    32 minutes ago

This is bs
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Succinct from Vika
    Jinx!

This is such an odd look for the officials. This is the second extremely high profile example this fortnight of a chair umpire inserting himself into a match (after Kyrgios) controversially. Except the entire tournament, coaches have been letting the serve shot clock get to zero with no intervention. Theyíve been letting coaching go unabated (even from Sascha today, as the commentators pointed out). No rhyme, no reason, total subjectivity, to the point of capriciousness. JTís right- If Serena wasnít angry, Iíd worry she was a robot. Poor officiating, at large, writ large.
    Last edited by munchin; 09-08-2018 at 04:22 PM.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Patrick on twitter saying he knew he was coaching, everybody does it, and even today Sacha was doing it even more than he was

Side note--I've had enough of Ben

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast