Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: '18 USO Day 12 OoP & discussion

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post

And I realize he lost, but Thiem left it all out there that night too and I hope he's taking the proper time to fully recover from that match as well. His schedule has always been questionable, so I hope common sense prevails and we don't see him til October.
    He is scheduled for DC next week.
    What can you say?
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    What can you say?
    I don't think Rafa's schedule makes the least bit of difference to the tendinitis - there's no level of rest that will make it better.

I really wish that Cliff Drysdale would retire.

If he's hurting, he won't play.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

So bored. This sucks. So much for menís semis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    So bored. This sucks. So much for menís semis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They can't all be gems.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

What can you say?
    That really is a great exception. And necessary given the significance in general and this year in particular. But that needs to be it. Nothing but Davis Cup til I hope the next Masters for him. He better not show up at some 250 event.

There is no chance, indeed.
    Unless Mike tells him to go win one slam himself with somebody else just so their record will be identical.
    He'd have to let Bob go win two Slam titles now with someone else, now that he got Wimbledon and the US Open titles with Sock.

And, in response to a post from Megan, no, Mike and Jack are most decidedly not undefeated. They had a 3 and 4 loss in their second match at Queen's, a 6 and 4 loss to Klaasen and Venus in their second match in Canada and a bizarre 3 & 0 loss to the Lopez's in their first match in Cincinnati- when something seemed physically off with Jack to the point that I wasn't even sure that he was going to play the Open.

I saw Mike's and Jack's SF and F US Open wins live. The SF was obviously much more of a struggle, after Jack messed up a match point in the 2nd set from an awkward missed I-think backhand overhead, and Mike faced some break points in the 3rd set. The final was beautiful. Both played great, and Jack was absolutely on fire.

OK, someone has to be the one to say it- Mike should dump Bob's ass.

Obviously, they both had played some great tennis this year. And I'm not saying that they could never win another Slam title together. BUT, it has been awhile.....and now you have a new partner and you've won Wimbledon and the US Open back to back....

Mike just seems to be having a lot of fun playing with Jack. And, heck, who knows, they might never win another Slam title together if they DID keep playing together, for all I know. Sometimes, teams can struggle against a new, "hot" pairing, until they figure out better how to play a team. It would sure look like teams learned how to play the Bryans, at least at Slams. The boys may just have gotten stagnant at Slams? Or fear crept in, or "old" age...

Heck, assuming that Bob can come back to the tour at full strength, it might also just be a great shot in the arm for Bob to play with another partner. I KNOW!!!! that the twins have had a forever pact to play together until the end. However.....AND, it is funny, but I think that Mike made some kind of comment during the finals award ceremony about something like Jack waiting in the wings in case Bob can't play at any Slam. I could also of course have completely misheard or imagined this- it is SO tough to understand what the hell they are saying live at these awards ceremonies.

IN any case, I do think that Jack and Mike could have much more success.....
    Last edited by nelslus; 09-07-2018 at 08:49 PM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

....AND I was there for much of both men's SF matches. I gotta tell y'all, in the first set, Del Potro didn't exactly play at his best, either. Served for it first, played a wimpy service game. They did play great here and there. But, it was painful watching Rafa in the 2nd set. At one point around the end of the second set, Rafa waved his arms in what I thought was a "no way" fashion while he walked up to the umpire, and I thought he was going to retire then. He didn't. (Not sure then what that was about, unless it was just his almost throwing in the towel?) But, it would have been ridiculous for Rafa to have kept playing, and I'm not even sure he should have played out the second set. He managed to play some great shots in the 2nd set, but he was clearly physically impaired.

AS for Novak, I wisely left after the Del Potro win to get something to eat, as I watched the end of the Gauff/McNally junior doubles QF win (I also had earlier watched the last half of Gauff blowing her junior QF match- MAJOR service yips in the 3rd set, SO many horrendous double faults- but, that seemed to have been solved during the doubles match, which was very nice to see.) I saw the 2nd set of Novak, and decided I would leave after the inevitable break of Nishikori's serve in the 3rd set- which, you know, didn't take long. Novak looked great, Kei was mostly pitiful.
    Last edited by nelslus; 09-07-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Men's Dobles - Final
    [3] M Bryan/J Sock (USA/USA)
    d [7] L Kubot/M Melo (POL/BRA) 63 61

Men's Singles - Semifinals
    [3] J del Potro (ARG) d [1] R Nadal (ESP) 76(3) 62 Ret.
    [6] N Djokovic (SRB) d [21] K Nishikori (JPN) 63 64 62

Wheelchair Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
    [1] S Kunieda (JPN) d S. Olsson (SWE) 06 61 63
    [2] A. Hewett (GBR) d J. Gerard (BEL) 75 64
    N Peifer (FRA) d S Houdet (FRA) 62 62
    G. Fernandez (ARG) d G. Reid (GBR) 61 64

Wheelchair Men's Doubles - Semifinals
    [1] S Houdet/N Peifer (FRA/FRA) d J Gerard/S Olsson (BEL/SWE) 61 76(5)
    [2] A. Hewett /G. Reid (GBR/GBR) d G. Fernandez/S. Kunieda (ARG/JPN) 75 46 10-6

Wheelchair Women's Singles - Quarterfinals
    [1] D De Groot (NED) d A Van Koot (NED) 61 62
    [2] Y Kamiji (JPN) d M Buis (NED) 60 60
    S Ellerbrock (GER) d D Mathewson (USA) 61 62
    K Montjane (RSA) d L Shuker (GBR) 64 64

Wheelchair Women's Doubles - Semifinals
    [1] D De Groot/Y Kamiji (NED/JPN) d S Ellerbrock/L Shuker (GER/GBR) 60 60
    [2] M Buis/A Van Koot (NED/NED) d D Mathewson/K Montjane (USA/RSA) 61 61

Wheelchair Quad Men's Singles - Round Robin
    [2] D Alcott (AUS) d B Barten (USA) 63 61
    A Lapthorne (GBR) d B Barten (USA) 61 64
    [2] D Alcott (AUS) d [1] D Wagner (USA) 63 75
    [1] D. Wagner (USA) d A. Lapthorne (GBR) 62 64

Girls' Singles - Quarterfinals
    [11] C Burel (FRA) d E Raducanu (GBR) 62 60
    D Lopatetskaya (UKR) d [1] C. Gauff (USA) 64 36 62
    [3] X Wang (CHN) d [9] N Sato (JPN) 76(5) 62
    [4] M. Osorio Serrano (COL) d [8] L. Fernandez (CAN) 36 63 62

Girls' Singles - Third Round
    [3] X. Wang (CHN) d [16] L. Ma (USA) 61 61
    [8] L. Fernandez (CAN) d T Pachkaleva (RUS) 62 76(4)

Boys' Singles - Quarterfinals
    [1] C Tseng (TPE) d G. Zeppieri (ITA) 76(0) 62
    [6] T. Seyboth Wild (BRA) d T. Ichikawa (JPN) 76(3) 64
    J Brooksby (USA) d [14] B Nakashima (USA) 64 75
    L Musetti (ITA) d D Michalski (POL) 64 60

Boys' Singles - Third Round
    T Ichikawa (JPN) d [4] N Mejia (COL) 36 75 64
    [6] T. Seyboth Wild (BRA) d A. McHugh (GBR) 64 61
    D Michalski (POL) d A Cornut Chauvinc (FRA) 36 62 64

Girls' Doubles - Quarterfinals
    H Baptiste / D Hewitt (USA/USA) d H Sato/Q Zheng (JPN/CHN) 63 75
    C Beck/E Navarro (USA/USA) d [3] A Noel/N Sato (USA/JPN) 61 63
    [5] J. Garland /M. Uchijima (TPE/JPN) d S. Cadar/V. Kanapatskaya (ROU/BLR) 62 62
    [1] C. Gauff /C. McNally (USA/USA) d [7] M. Osorio Serrano/G. Price (COL/USA) 63 62

Boys' Doubles - Quarterfinals
    L Musetti d G Zeppieri (ITA/ITA) d A Fenty /C Kingsley (USA/USA)
    E Nava (USA)/A Nefve (USA/USA) d N Alvarez Varona/G Soares Klier Junior (ESP/BRA) 63 36 10-4
    J De Jong /D Wenger (NED/SUI) d D Baird/T Hilderbrand (USA/USA) 67(3) 61 10-4
    A Andreev /A Matusevich (BUL/GBR) d [8] F Jianu /D Wassermann (ROU/NED) 60 64

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12