Agree Agree:  10
Likes Likes:  12
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 55 of 55
  1. #46

    Re: '18 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Wonder if it will hurt her overall marketability here. Maria doesn't seem to be a good enough example of why it wouldn't matter.
    Why not? Similar situation, Maria is more comfortable in English than Russian, she is definitely more American than Russian mentality wise, she lived in US from young age.

  2. #47
    Everyday Warrior MJ2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,516

    Re: '18 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by sokoll View Post
    Why not? Similar situation, Maria is more comfortable in English than Russian, she is definitely more American than Russian mentality wise, she lived in US from young age.
    This. Naomi was three, Sharapova was seven when they moved to the U.S. Not much difference. As fans we are entitled to our opinions and can debate it until the cows come home. It would, however, behoove the commentators to cover the story consistently with how they covered Sharapova and without bias.

    I remember some criticism from fans but barely any from the professional tennis world about Sharapova's choice. Casual tennis watchers on TV will be swayed by how commentators cover a story, or create one where there is none.

    Sharapova was embraced by U.S. media and marketers as their own. If they choose to behave differently with Naomi the reason has nothing to do with what country she represents.

    I don't see that Federer and Nadal have suffered on a global marketing scale by not being American.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #48

    Re: '18 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by sokoll View Post
    Why not? Similar situation, Maria is more comfortable in English than Russian, she is definitely more American than Russian mentality wise, she lived in US from young age.
    It's not a similar situation to me at the end of the day. Naomi (or her father) heavily considered the US as the country she would play for because she's American as much as she is Japanese. She's grown up, gone to school, and gotten almost every moment of her training in the US. Yet she's playing for the other country. Maria has been here for a long time for sure, never seeking dual citizenship, and her story, her parents, it's a different set of circumstances than Naomi's.

    Now, I'm no fan of Maria's so keep that in mind and I do like Naomi. But for Maria, the telling of her story in tennis coverage comes off like it's some heroic tale of being found and moving here at a young age to pursue her talent. They tell it as if she escaped the Soviet empire rather than still playing for it, they act like she saved her family from living in the Siberia in unknown condition. They couldn't shut up about it for years and years like it was the most rarest of tales ever. It is never told with a negative slant to it. I actually only remember them stop telling the story constantly with such awe after Martina Hingis was a commentator for a bit there, they told it again and went to her to give proper praise and she was like, it's not that rare of a story, that's a lot of people's, especially plenty on tour. I have a similar story, why are you acting like this is the biggest deal ever?

    This is not about the marketability of a foreign player. Ana, Caro, Vika, and others have done very well here without mentioning male players. I think she'll probably do as well as they have, it's going beyond that I'm talking about. If you're thinking I'm talking only about nationality of the player, you're missing what I mean completely. It's the reaction that @fastbackss friend had that I'm talking about on a marketability level. Because even an softened retelling of Naomi's story inspires a few questions.

  4. #49

    Re: '18 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    I watched with somebody who does not typically watch tennis.

    I can tell you that when it was described during the match last night, about how she eschewed USA for Japan, it was met with quizzical looks and a less than favorable comment thereafter. This is to a cursory observer, so yes it comes off that way.

    I know Naomi's story, and even to me it caused me to cringe because of how it was worded. I do think the announcers realized this as well, because a point or two later they softened it...

    Also, on the broadcast they said she is much more confident listening to Japanese than she is speaking it...
    My 50-year-old sister, who loves tennis but doesn't follow it as closely as we do, said she can't stand Osaka because of her "boring personality in interviews." Not everyone is enchanted with her. (I am, but I can see this cute-shyness getting old for me, too.)
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-07-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

  5. #50
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    mmmm8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York, New York, United States
    Posts
    50,436

    Re: '18 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

    RESULTS
    Women's Singles - Semifinals
    [20] N Osaka (JPN) d [14] M Keys (USA) 62 64
    [17] S Williams (USA) d [19] A Sevastova (LAT) 63 60

    Men's Doubles - Semifinals
    [3] M Bryan/J Sock (USA/USA) d [5] J Cabal/R Farah (COL/COL) 62 67(1) 64
    [7] L Kubot/M Melo (POL/BRA) d R Albot/M Jaziri (ROU/TUN) 76(3) 36 63

    Women's Doubles - Semifinals
    [13] A Barty/C Vandeweghe (AUS/USA) d [1] B Krejcikova/K Siniakova (CZE/CZE) 64 76(6)
    [2] T Babos/K Maldenovic (HUN/FRA) d S Stosur/S Zhang (AUS/CHN) 64 76(4)

    Boys' Singles - Third Round
    https://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/....html?event=BS

    Girls' Singles - Third Round
    https://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/....html?event=GS


  6. #51

    Re: '18 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

    Sadly I couldn't watch the match.

    From what I'm reading, and correct me if I'm wrong, It was Evert who was doing her best to tie Naomi to the US.

    Before Naomi became a thing I remember Mary Jo Fernandez talking about Naomi playing for Japan and not the US. She went on to say that the USTA was pulling out all the stops to try and get her back but that Naomi and her family have until she's either 21 or 22 to make the final decision. She was putting as positive spin as she could on the situation.

    As for M. FranÁois "demanding" the USTA pay a certain amount towards his daughter's tennis development I don't have a problem with that. If he felt the USTA was spending tons of money on girls less talented than his daughter he had every right to speak up. He had every right to ask. And the USTA had every right to refuse. I'm sure parents go through this with them all time. Unlike many kids who have to accept what the USTA offers Naomi had an out. She was born in Japan and the Japanese tennis association was more that happy to have her. That, to me, is why the USTA is so bitter about Naomi. Saschia Vickery has also complained about the level of support she's gotten from the USTA and plans to play tennis for Guyana in the next olympics.

    Naomi still trains a lot in Florida like many of her peers.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb




  7. #52

    Re: '18 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    How come the didnít just close the roof?
    They did - the roof was closed on Ashe for both semis.

  8. #53

    Re: '18 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    It's not a similar situation to me at the end of the day. Naomi (or her father) heavily considered the US as the country she would play for because she's American as much as she is Japanese. She's grown up, gone to school, and gotten almost every moment of her training in the US. Yet she's playing for the other country. Maria has been here for a long time for sure, never seeking dual citizenship, and her story, her parents, it's a different set of circumstances than Naomi's.
    I see your point, it is different.

    I guess we'll see how and if it will affect her popularity in US and marketability

  9. #54
    cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

    liam_valid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    2,440

    Re: '18 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    They did - the roof was closed on Ashe for both semis.
    Sorry, I mean why didnít they close the roof after the first set of the wheelchair doubles finished? They still had around an hour before Serena was due on, but instead of closing the roof and finishing that doubles match, they moved it from Ashe to court 12, knowing that it would probably not be finished that day. Why didnít they finish the match on Ashe when there was plenty of time?

  10. #55

    Re: '18 USO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

    An hour before due on, but don't they have to clear out the day session and let the night session fans in?

    (Not saying I agree with it, just looking for other logical reasons)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •