Agree Agree:  16
Likes Likes:  49
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Re: Women's Picks & Results: 2018 USOSP

Us 11 Cornet pickers out. I feel like this is sort of my fault...we were knocked out by my avatar! Lesson learned.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Us 11 Cornet pickers out. I feel like this is sort of my fault...we were knocked out by my avatar! Lesson learned.
    Don't pick Cornet. Don't pick a French player. Other? Which lesson learned, cause I'm trying to put together the definitive list.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Don't pick Cornet. Don't pick a French player. Other? Which lesson learned, cause I'm trying to put together the definitive list.
    This is roughly the order I heard about DNPs in, a couple of geologic eras ago:

Bondarenkos
    Chinese players
    Qualifiers
    Anyone who's not a seed
    Any known bandwagon
    Anyone who won the last warmup tournament
    Anyone who treed the previous round (aka letdown)

On the other side of the coin, this is my Prefer-to-Pick list:

* Unseeded players. I think Drop's term was "adrenalin junkie." But, really, it's the cheap pleasure of feeling smug when a bandwagon goes down and you get to peer over the edge of the cliff while your pick that only five other people in the pool have even heard of staggers over to their ice bath. That, and having more options available in the later rounds because you didn't pick the journeywoman who lasted two more rounds than anticipated.
    * Players scheduled for early in the day. Because then I usually know the results by lunchtime.

In various eras of our SPs, there have been times with so many DNPs that it was impossible to find a pick without violating one of the "rules." GH

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I watched all of her qualifying matches, so in a change for me, I'm actually thinking positively for her at the moment and I was betting on her not against the other player. We'll see. I'm was well aware this could be a bust, even before I saw the massive bandwagon (I didn't think it would be quite that big for her).
    You watched all her qualifying matches? Aside from the fact that I didn't know this was possible, why is anyone spending that much time watching qualifying on-line? I thought everyone had gotten over the Genie lust by now.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    In various eras of our SPs, there have been times with so many DNPs that it was impossible to find a pick without violating one of the "rules." GH
    When in doubt - Serena Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    You watched all her qualifying matches? Aside from the fact that I didn't know this was possible, why is anyone spending that much time watching qualifying on-line? I thought everyone had gotten over the Genie lust by now.
    Genie is not a player I like. I don't have enough emotion for her for it to rise to hate, but truly, not a fan. I watched Tennis Channel's coverage of Qualifying this year, didn't watch a moment online. First time it's ever aired on TV. It was like watching a regular weekly tennis tournament basically in terms of coverage like Cincy or Toronto and Montreal. It was all day coverage. I watched when I got home each day. No surprise, Genie's matches were all on. So, I saw a portion of every one of her qualifying matches. I also saw a part of all of Felix's qualifying matches, because his were also all aired.

But to be clear, I don't have a problem with anyone who chooses to watch qualifying online. I don't see the problem, if you have the time, and like to watch in that manner, great. Not sure why we're judging someone's interest in tennis on this forum, qualifying or otherwise.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 08-28-2018 at 11:00 PM.

People have no problem watching preseason football..I watch it(barely)...which is pretty unwatchable at times.. qualifying used to be on cbs sports channel in years past..since I go to Open, I watch a bit of it hoping a Genie or Zvonareva makes it in..if a Muhut slips up, they don’t get the �� ..seeing his kid run on the court and hug him after was cool..so it was neat that he made the field..either way, if you’re there, it’s free to go watch..fun to see new names and old names and who the qualifiers might be..I agree with Jazz, let’s not judge each other..

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post

Picks in order of popularity:
    E Bouchard 76
    D Cibulkova 21
    K Mladenovic 18
    A Tomljanovic 15
    A Cornet 11
    C Suarez Navarro 8
    M Sharapova 8
    M Niculescu 6
    A Sabalenka 6
    T Townsend 5
    M Buzarnescu 5
    D Kasatkina 4
    N Osaka 4
    C Vandeweghe 4
    Y Putintseva 3
    B Bencic 3
    A Kontaveit 3

P Kvitova 2
    C McHale 2
    L Tsurenko 2
    A Anisimova 1
    M Keys 1
    J Ostapenko 1
    M Puig 1
    A Van Uytvanck 1
    K Bertens 1
    NO PICK 8
    Updated from complete day 2:

lost 47 of the remaining 220, or 21%.

No big bandwagons have crashed ... yet. Will today be the day? (insert evil laugh here)

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

And here are Day 3's picks:

A Sevastova 66
    B Strycova 22
    K Kanepi 20
    G Muguruza 15
    E Mertens 13
    M Sakkari 16
    R Peterson 12
    Ka Pliskova 5
    S Williams 3
    V Azarenka 1
    V Williams 1

Strycova and Mertens pickers are through.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    I watched the US Open qualifying in person three of the four days last week and really enjoyed doing so. There were thousands of people there doing the same, including a group of tennis fans I met from Pennsylvania who drive up to NY each year to watch the qualies. Admission is free, and as has been noted, you get to watch former stars either ending their careers (Mahut), or trying a comeback (Zvonoreva, Gulbis), as well as rising young stars like Felix. I knew the Bouchard matches would be packed, which they were, and didn't go to see her play. But she obviously still has a lot of appeal (whether for her modeling or her tennis).

Biggest bandwagon of the day through and so is the lone Azarenka picker.

Club Pro
    Awards Showcase

Some of my Do Not Ever Picks:
    1 Dr Ivo Karlovic
    2 Any Russian
    3 Unseeded player who just pulled off big upset in previous match
    4 Injury and retirement-prone players
    5 Tempermental flakey players like Hot Sauce Verdasco
    Ever mysterious are the ways of the unknown.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast