Agree Agree:  20
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Davis Cup?

Re: RIP Davis Cup?

The constant inability to deal with any sort of change continues to astound me. "Traditional" is not synonymous with "better," something Davis Cup has proved for a very long time. It's all well and good to be able to see tennis in markets that don't have tournaments, but how much are you really enjoying the tennis when you don't know any of the players?

And like someone said above (Megan?), if the new format isn't successful, they can tweak it or revert.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 08-17-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

"And like someone said above (Megan?), if the new format isn't successful, they can tweak it or revert."

The fact that they have a 25 year contract might make any tweaking/reverting difficult. Only time will tell.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

True enough, although I think they'd find a way if it doesn't make money.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

My money on: there will never again be a memorable Davis Cup match. No Wilander-McEnroe, no Sampras-against-the-Russians-in-Moscow.
    There will never again be a (relegation match up) Venezuela-Denmark in Caracas, the winner moving into the world group and Venezuela up 2-1 in rubbers, up 2-1 in sets in the fourth and then losing, with the Danes so scared for their lives that they were packing up their bags with their rackets to get out of there in a hurry when (in one of the few times I have been so proud of my people) the girls with the roses, ready for our boys, showered them on the Danes and we clapped them for minutes. To the point that Kenneth Carlssen said in his interview that he had never felt so loved in a court.

Sure. Make the changes. but for all matters, they could have changed the name too. It would have mattered little since in reality it is no longer the Davis Cup. I want to see the stands in Madrid when the final will be Croatia-Argentina, missing both Delpo and Cilic.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 08-17-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    Starry starry night

So for the men there will be two Masters, WTF, DC and the Laver Cup to cap off the season? Oye.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    So for the men there will be two Masters, WTF, DC and the Laver Cup to cap off the season? Oye.
    And a few weeks later the ATP World Team Cup will be played in Australia featuring 24 teams and 15 million in prize money, and ranking points.

One fan took the time to post this Tweet storm.

Thread by @pluckyloser:

The only thing I ask with regard to Davis Cup is that folks refrain from calling it a "revamp" or an "overhaul". They sold it off to Pique and Uncle Larry.

The arguments for and against Davis Cup being sold in this way are the same arguments you hear for and against privatisation in every context.

People on the side of privatisation argue that the free market creates competitiveness which will create a better 'product' for consumers at a lower cost. That this is an inherently ethical position.

People against say that selling services from public governance removes protections. That the prioritisation of profit strips philanthropy from services and makes them less accessible to folks who are expensive to service.
    You can see this in the mission of the ITF - they are charged with promoting the game of tennis and preserving its integrity. These are overriding principles that are supposed to inform all of their decisions.

Pique and Uncle Larry's private company are under no such constraints. They only need to make money for their investors. Anything for a profit.

So really this comes down to whether you trust the free market to create a competition. Whether unprofitable ideas like fairness and team spirit are more or less valuable or attractive to you than free market capitalism. I know which side I'm on.

Oh and one more thing! Unless I've completely misunderstood how the ITF works, this hasn't been a democratic process in the classical sense. It's more like the US electoral college system, different countries having more or less votes. And you know where that got us last time.

TL;DR AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN THREAD THIS PROPERLY LOSER:
    If you thought Ayn Rand had "some really good points, actually, if you take the time to understand the Fountainhead properly" you're gonna love the Kosmos Cup. And I never want to have a beer with you.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...879117824.html

(Tennis fans gonna tennis fan)
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

It's been at least a decade where a majority of journalists and players and fans have agreed that Davis Cup needed a change. I get that someone trying to make a popular event that might make money (gasp!) is the most haunting thing imaginable, but anything like "keep it mostly the same, but change it a little" has been on the table for a long time, but never happened. Yeah, it's drastic. Yeah, someone might make money from it. Thems the ropes.

I understand and relate to the love for the old format, but time marches on. I think this is pretty similar to Federer whining up a storm about the challenge system.

Quote Originally Posted by dave g View Post
    "And like someone said above (Megan?), if the new format isn't successful, they can tweak it or revert."

The fact that they have a 25 year contract might make any tweaking/reverting difficult. Only time will tell.
    Ah, wasnt sure about the length of the contract. Wish they hadnt committed to so many years without a trial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

RIP Davis Cup?

RIP players shaving their heads on court after winning!

The home finals had a certain element of craziness that will probably be lost.

And they certainly didnt make the format any easier to understand. My eyes are still crossing from the description.

Wonder how they will determine the two “wild card” teams that proceed to the final. That seems fishy. Just a way to make sure the stars will be there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 08-18-2018 at 06:36 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

ITF should have stuck with the original format but hold the competition every other year. Suck up the loss in pride & revenue. The players could be better prepared to commit. And perhaps they could create a competition that can be genuinely anticipated.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    ITF should have stuck with the original format but hold the competition every other year. Suck up the loss in pride & revenue. The players could be better prepared to commit. And perhaps they could create a competition that can be genuinely anticipated.
    This. It would have added to the prestige of the event. And not on Olympic years.
    Last edited by MJ2004; 08-18-2018 at 07:35 AM.

The controversy continues

Stuart Fraser
    ‏Verified account
    @stu_fraser
    In response to claims that GB voted for Davis Cup reforms, representative David Rawlinson says: "The LTA board agreed to vote to oppose the Davis Cup reforms at the ITF's annual general meeting. I can give absolute assurance that I voted in accordance with our decision."
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

My question is, after all the rhetoric is done, what will happen to the zonal competition and the nations who have competed for many years in those zonals???

Quote Originally Posted by kandi View Post
    My question is, after all the rhetoric is done, what will happen to the zonal competition and the nations who have competed for many years in those zonals???
    They continue as they did before - the countries that win the zonal groups one years will compete in the qualifying competition in February the next year to compete at the finals in November.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast