Agree Agree:  12
Likes Likes:  15
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: Fed Cup 2019 Draws, OoP & Discussion

Australia got to be a favorite now. Czechs losing on home soil would be the biggest surprise of the week.
    Roger forever

Wow I got one right!

The Romanians did what they needed to do and kept the Czechs on court. It was too much to ask from Siniakova and you could see at the end she was running on fumes.

The match lasted 2h52m
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I though the Czech Republic would win, but I didn't realize they would have to play Siniakova in back to back matches, that's just rough. The loss of Kvitova for the week and Safarova long term definitely being felt. Not sure why Strycova wasn't on the team this time.

If I recall, Strycova said that last year was it for her playing Fed Cup.
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    If I recall, Strycova said that last year was it for her playing Fed Cup.
    They needed her today.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Perhaps the captain made a mistake of letting Siniakova play twice in a row. Could have used Vondrousova instead...
    Roger forever

Collins evens the tie for the US so it's down to dubs
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Barty was amazing this week, there was no beating of her by anyone on this diminished US team. They really should have gotten Stephens to play...

Now maybe you get to come to Latvia instead
    Roger forever

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Who decides the order of the rubbers? Shouldn't Siniakova have played the 3rd since she'll definitely play doubles if they need a tiebreak?
    I *think* it's always the top ranked players going first on the second day...

Another good weekend for Andreescu...including doubles was 3-0 in Canada's World Group 2 win.
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 02-10-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group and World Group II Results

The ITF has announced the final results for the 2019 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group and World Group II first round ties which took place on 9-10 February.

The Fed Cup semifinals on 20-21 April will see France at home against Romania and Australia hosting Belarus.

The World Group play-offs will be contested by the losing World Group nations Belgium, Czech Republic, Germany and USA and the World Group II winners Canada, Latvia, Spain and Switzerland.

Brazil, Great Britain, Kazakhstan and Russia have all qualified for the World Group II play-offs and will be joined by the four World Group II losing nations Italy, Japan, Netherlands and Slovakia.

The draw for the World Group play-offs and World Group II play-offs will be held on Tuesday 12 February at the ITF headquarters in London and streamed online at FedCup.com at 12 noon (GMT). The seeds will be based on the Fed Cup Nations Ranking published Monday 11 February.

Click here to download phots from the final day of the World Group first round ties. Images are for one-off editorial use only and should be credited as stated.

WORLD GROUP FIRST ROUND

ROMANIA defeated CZECH REPUBLIC 3-2

Venue: Ostravar Arena, Ostrava, CZE (hard - indoor)

Karolina Pliskova (CZE) d. Mihaela Buzarnescu (ROU) 61 64
    Simona Halep (ROU) d. Katerina Siniakova (CZE) 64 60
    Simona Halep (ROU) d. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 64 57 64
    Katerina Siniakova (CZE) d. Mihaela Buzarnescu (ROU) 64 62
    Irina-Camelia Begu/Monica Niculescu (ROU) d. Barbora Krejcikova/Katerina Siniakova (CZE) 67(2) 64 64

FRANCE defeated BELGIUM 3-1
    Venue: Country Hall du Sart-Tilman, Liège, BEL (hard - indoor)

Caroline Garcia (FRA) d. Alison Van Uytvanck (BEL) 76(2) 46 62
    Alize Cornet (FRA) d. Elise Mertens (BEL) 76(6) 62
    Caroline Garcia (FRA) d. Elise Mertens (BEL) 62 63
    Alison Van Uytvanck (BEL) v Alize Cornet (FRA) - not played
    Ysaline Bonaventure/Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) d. Fiona Ferro/Pauline Parmentier (FRA) 63 36 [10-6]

BELARUS defeated GERMANY 4-0
    Venue: Volkswagen Halle Braunschweig, Braunschweig, GER (hard - indoor)

Aliaksandra Sasnovich (BLR) d. Tatjana Maria (GER) 76(3) 63
    Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) d. Andrea Petkovic (GER) 62 61
    Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) d. Laura Siegemund (GER) 61 61
    Andrea Petkovic (GER) v Aliaksandra Sasnovich (BLR) - not played
    Victoria Azarenka/Lidziya Marozava (BLR) d. Mona Barthel/Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER) 61 06 [11-9]

AUSTRALIA defeated U.S.A. 3-2
    Venue: US Cellular Arena, Asheville, USA (hard - indoor)

Ashleigh Barty (AUS) d. Sofia Kenin (USA) 61 76(2)
    Madison Keys (USA) d. Kimberly Birrell (AUS) 62 62
    Ashleigh Barty (AUS) d. Madison Keys (USA) 64 61
    Danielle Collins (USA) v Daria Gavrilova (AUS) 61 36 62
    Ashleigh Barty/Priscilla Hon (AUS) d. Danielle Collins/Nicole Melichar (USA) 64 75

WORLD GROUP II FIRST ROUND

SWITZERLAND defeated ITALY 3-1

Venue: Swiss Tennis Arena, Biel, SUI (hard - indoor)

Belinda Bencic (SUI) d. Sara Errani (ITA) 62 75
    Viktorija Golubic (SUI) d. Camila Giorgi (ITA) 64 26 64
    Belinda Bencic (SUI) d. Camila Giorgi (ITA) 62 64
    Viktorija Golubic (SUI) v Sara Errani (ITA) - not played
    Sara Errani/Martina Trevisan (ITA) d. Timea Bacsinszky/Stefanie Voegele (SUI) 76(5) 36 [10-5]

LATVIA defeated SLOVAKIA 4-0
    Venue: Arena Riga, Riga, LAT (hard - indoor)

Jelena Ostapenko (LAT) d. Rebecca Sramkova (SVK) 75 67(5) 61
    Anastasija Sevastova (LAT) d. Anna Karolina Schmiedlova (SVK) 64 60
    Anastasija Sevastova (LAT) d. Rebecca Sramkova (SVK) 63 62
    Jelena Ostapenko (LAT) v Anna Karolina Schmiedlova (SVK) - not played
    Diana Marcinkevica/Jelena Ostapenko (LAT) d. Tereza Mihalikova/Anna Karolina Schmiedlova (SVK) 62 63

SPAIN defeated JAPAN 3-2
    Venue: Kita-Kyushu Sogo Gymnastic Hall, Kita-kyushu, JPN (hard - indoor)

Nao Hibino (JPN) d. Sara Sorribes Tormo (ESP) 64 62
    Georgina Garcia-Perez (ESP) d. Misaki Doi (JPN) 62 46 76(2)
    Kurumi Nara (JPN) d. Silvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP) 76(3) 64
    Georgina Garcia-Perez (ESP) d. Nao Hibino (JPN) 63 16 61
    Georgina Garcia-Perez/Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez (ESP) d. Miyu Kato/Makoto Ninomiya (JPN) 61 63

CANADA defeated NETHERLANDS 4-0
    Venue: Maaspoort Sports & Events, 's-Hertogenbosch, NED (clay - indoor)

Bianca Andreescu (CAN) d. Richel Hogenkamp (NED) 64 61
    Francoise Abanda (CAN) d. Arantxa Rus (NED) 76(8) 46 64
    Bianca Andreescu (CAN) d. Arantxa Rus (NED) 64 62
    Richel Hogenkamp (NED) v Francoise Abanda (CAN) - not played
    Gabriela Dabrowski/Rebecca Marino (CAN) d. Bibiane Schoo

Australia defeats the U.S., 3-2
    2019 Fed Cup First Round
    U.S. Cellular Center - Asheville, N.C.

Interview Transcripts: USA | Australia

Ash turned out to be the star in Asheville after all, as Ash Barty won in singles and doubles on Sunday to lift Australia to a 3-2 victory over the United States in a Fed Cup World Group First Round tie.

Ranked No. 13 in singles and No. 6 in doubles, Barty beat Madison Keys, 6-4, 6-1, in singles and later paired with Fed Cup rookie Priscilla Hon to clinch victory in doubles over Nicole Melichar and Danielle Collins, 6-4, 7-5, sending the Aussies through to their first World Group semifinal since 2014 to face Belarus.

Barty’s heroics spoiled an otherwise inspiring Fed Cup playing debut for American Danielle Collins. Subbed in for Sofia Kenin to play the fourth singles match on Sunday after being sick earlier in the week, Collins overcame Daria Gavrilova, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2, to push the tie to a deciding doubles match. The two-time NCAA champion out of the University of Virginia finished that singles win in such a form that prompted U.S. Captain Kathy Rinaldi to tab her for doubles alongside Melichar.

But Barty, after defeating Sofia Kenin in singles on Saturday, became the first player to win three points in a Fed Cup tie against the U.S. since Caroline Garcia of France in the 2014 World Group Playoff. Barty has now won 11 straight matches in Fed Cup competition.

The U.S., after reaching the Fed Cup Final in each of the last two years, Rinaldi’s first two as Captain, will now play in the World Group Playoff April 20-21 for the right to remain in the World Group in 2020. Their opponent, which will be one of Switzerland, Spain, Canada and Latvia, will be decided later this week, as will the site.

Sunday’s attendance at the U.S. Cellular Center was 4,987, bringing the two-day total to 10,199.

RESULTS

Saturday
    Ashleigh Barty (AUS) d. Sofia Kenin (USA), 6-1, 7-6(2)
    Madison Keys (USA) d. Kim Birrell (AUS), 6-2, 6-2

Sunday
    Ashleigh Barty (AUS) d. Madison Keys (USA), 6-4, 6-1
    Danielle Collins (USA) d. Daria Gavrilova (AUS), 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
    Danielle Collins / Nicole Melichar (USA) d. Ashleigh Barty / Priscilla Hon (AUS), 6-4, 7-5

# # #

Canada defeats the Netherlands 4-0 at Fed Cup by BNP Paribas
    Andreescu wins the third singles match to clinch the win for the country

's-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands, February 10, 2019 – The Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group II first round tie concluded with Canada clinching the 4-0 victory over the Netherlands at the Maaspoort Sports & Events in 's-Hertogenbosch.

The final day of action began with the two no. 1 players from each nation facing each other. Bianca Andreescu (Mississauga, ON) and Arantxa Rus had never faced each other prior to Sunday’s meeting. The former no. 61 in the world, Rus committed nine double faults and 37 unforced errors in her match against Abanda the day before while Andreescu totaled four aces and was strong throughout her match. On Sunday, both players got off to uneasy starts, as there were a number of breaks in the beginning. The Canadian regained consistency, playing strong service games and taking the opener. In the second set, it was all Andreescu. She dominated her opponent from the first serve until the end. In emphatic fashion, Andreescu clinched the tie for the Canadian squad with a 6-4, 6-2 win.

With the tie already won after the three singles matches, the dead doubles rubber was disputed between Gabriela Dabrowski (Ottawa, ON) and Rebecca Marino (Vancouver, BC) for Canada and Demi Schuurs and Bibiane Schoofs for the Netherlands. After dropping the opening set, the Canadian duo fought back to force a final decider. They trailed once again in the tiebreak, but ultimately found a way to complete the comeback, taking the match by a score of 2-6, 7-5, 12-10. This win gave Canada a perfect record for the weekend.

As a result of their victory over the Netherlands, Canada will play for a spot in the World Group in April. Their opponents will be unveiled on Tuesday, February 12 at the Fed Cup Draw at the ITF Offices in London.

Quotes

“I try to go into every match thinking it is another match. Each time I step out on to the court, I want to win. I try to stick to my tactics and go out there and play my game. I thought my level was below average today, but sometimes you are able to win not playing your best. I’m only 18, but at this point I don’t think age really matters anymore. The mental aspect is so incredibly important and I think I showed mental strength this weekend. There is also the questions of experience, which I think I am getting more and more of,” said Andreescu after her big win.

“I am so incredibly proud of these girls. We know it was going to be tough going into this weekend, but our girls trained hard all week and we were ready for the challenge. This was an incredible first Fed Cup experience for me as the captain and I look forward to many more to come,” said El Tabakh.

Match results

2019 Fed Cup World Group II First Round
    Canada vs. Netherlands
    February 9-10, 2019
    Maaspoort Sports & Events, 's-Hertogenbosch
    Score: 4-0

Date Match Result
    Saturday, February 9 First singles match Andreescu d. Hogenkamp 6-4, 6-1
    Saturday, February91 Second singles match Abanda d. Rus 7-6(8), 4-6, 6-4
    Sunday, February 10 Third singles match Andreescu d. Rus 6-4, 6-2
    Sunday, February 10 Fourth singles match N/A
    Sunday, February 10 Doubles match Dabrowski/Marino d. Schuurs/Schoofs 2-6, 7-5, 12-10

About Fed Cup

Fed Cup by BNP Paribas is the World Cup of Tennis. It is the largest annual international team competition in women’s sport, with 107 nations entered in 2019. The competition is 56 years old, having been founded in 1963. The title sponsor is BNP Paribas (Official Bank of Fed Cup). Adecco (Official HR Sponsor) is an international sponsor, while beIN SPORTS is the Official Global Media Rights Partner.Follow all the action on www.fedcup.com and www.fedcup.com/es

About Tennis Canada

Founded in 1890, Tennis Canada is a non-profit, national sport association with a mission to lead the growth of tennis in Canada and a vision to become a world-leading tennis nation. We value teamwork, passion, integrity, innovation and excellence. Tennis Canada owns and operates the premier Rogers Cup presented by National Bank WTA and ATP World Tour events, 9 professional ITF sanctioned events and financially supports 13 other professional tournaments in Canada. Tennis Canada operates junior national training centres/programs in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Tennis Canada is a proud member of the International Tennis Federation, the Canadian Olympic Committee, the Canadian Paralympic Committee and the International Wheelchair Tennis Association, and serves to administer, sponsor and select the teams for Davis Cup, Fed Cup, the Olympic and Paralympic Games and all wheelchair, junior and senior national teams. Tennis Canada invests its surplus into tennis development. For more information on Tennis Canada please visit our Web site at: www.tenniscanada.com and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    -30-

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Another good weekend for Andreescu...including doubles was 3-0 in Canada's World Group 2 win.
    Andreescu didn't play doubles - Rebecca Marino played with Gabbi Dabrowski.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Whoops, I looked at the crossed out score!

PRESS RELEASE
    12 February 2019

Draws announced for Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group and World Group II Play-offs

The ITF has announced the draws for the 2019 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group and World Group II play-offs on 20-21 April.

WORLD GROUP PLAY-OFFS

Czech Republic (1) (c) v Canada
    USA (2) (c) (*) v Switzerland
    Latvia (c) (*) v Germany (3)
    Belgium (4) (c) v Spain

WORLD GROUP II PLAY-OFFS

Russia (1) (c) v Italy
    Japan (c) v Netherlands (2)
    Great Britain (3) (c) (*) v Kazakhstan
    Slovakia (4) (c) (*) v Brazil

[#] = seed
    [c] = choice of ground[*] = choice of ground decided by lot

The seeds are based on the new Fed Cup Nations Ranking of 11 February. The deadline for confirmation of the play-off venues is 5 March.

The four winners of the World Group play-offs will qualify for the 2020 World Group while the four losing nations will contest the 2020 World Group II. The four winners of the World Group II play-offs will qualify for the 2020 World Group II, while the four losing nations will contest their respective Group I events in 2020.

The World Group and World Group II play-offs will take place alongside the semifinals on 20-21 April. In the semifinals, Australia will be at home to Belarus and France will host Romania.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345