Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Re: Figure Skating - 2019

The Pairs programs from Hiroshima currently airing on the Olympic Channel -- #389 on my DISH

The talk of the skating world this weekend is the Grand Prix Final & this accident by American pairs skaters Ashley Cain & Tim Leduc. Viewer discretion advised.

Rika Kihira - Short Program - she won the Grand Prix Final

Vanessa James/Morgan Cipres - Free Skate - they won as well.

They should've stopped it. No matter that as a competitor she wanted to continue. It was no different than an NFL player being knocked unconcious and coming back in the next play. She was still staggering after their program finished!

James and Cipres have matured so much! They were not skating at this level the last time I saw them. Wow.

When I hear Clair de Lune all I see is the end of Oceans 11. There are a couple of female Japanese skaters that I really like. I think this young woman is technically sound but has very little personality on the ice.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

US Championships

Ladies Free Skate on tonight at 8 pm ET on NBC. Airing live

Pairs Free and Men's Short tomorrow on NBC at 1:30 pm

Men's Free Skate on Sunday at 3:30 pm on NBC

Ice Dancing is not airing on NBC from what I can tell. But it looks like the free dance will air on NBC Sports on Sunday at 7 pm.

Also, European Championships is getting airtime on NBC as well. Women & Men's Free Skate on Sunday at 1:30 pm.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The women's long program ended up being something quite extraordinary! I don't want to be a spoiler in case folks haven't watched it yet, but... a star is born!

A star is born indeed. Very exciting.

Now, the 2nd and 3rd place? They got it wrong. The skater who came in 3rd had a significantly better overall artistic performance and was very deserving of the silver medal.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meanwhile, I have never seen Mikhail Kolyada skate well. To have a 10-point lead going into the free skate but finish fifth overall is a disaster. He hurt his wrist on his second fall, too.

Having a 13 year old stepson puts into perspective how impressive her accomplishment is.

Jason Brown had a very nice performance. Also looks great, more like an adult than a kid now.

Nathan Chen was WOW. Like see if you can catch it online kind of WOW if you missed it.

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Nathan Chen wins Gold -- AGAIN -- no words.
    Jason - so glad he lost that **** ponytail!

Quote Originally Posted by kandi View Post
    Jason - so glad he lost that **** ponytail!
    He was cute before, but he looks so much better, and more mature without the ponytail.

Nathan Chen was the best performer and deserved the Gold but is it heresy to say I was a bit underwhelmed? I was shocked to hear Tara exclaim that Chen "Is a god!" when the program was over.

Of course my favorite part, ice dancing, got short shrift on the NBC broadcast but the Gold Medalists in that category deserved it. The couple that danced to "Fever" would've won it in my mind until they ended with Elvis singing "Hunk of Burning Love" or whatever the real name of that one is. The transition from "Fever" to that was jarring.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I thought Nathan had a fantastic performance. Was it the most moving performance ever? No, not for me. I've been more moved by others. But Nathan's was still very artistic, and I liked this style for him, and the technical was nearly flawless and so overall, it felt like perfection from him. If his artistry wasn't as developed, I'd take more issue with Tara's exclamation, but I think if Nathan skates like this, it is very difficult to see him losing to anyone no matter what they throw out unless they start landing as many easy quads as he does. But Tara could still tone it down, he did blow the Olympics just last season so let's not overstate things too much just yet.

For ice skating, in the past at least, ratings are not as good as the others unless there's been a better known pairing, and with the Shib Twins sitting out this season, I'm guessing that made it an easy call to turf it to NBC Sports. Sounds like it was good, I'm out of town in a hotel so I couldn't watch anything on that channel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123