Agree Agree:  8
Likes Likes:  9

View Poll Results: Should 5th sets end in Tie Breaks always

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Tie-breaks should be played at 6-all, at all Slams

3 18.75%
  • No. It happens seldom, and it makes for great matches.

4 25.00%
  • Play Tie breaks, but at other options

9 56.25%

Fifth Sets. What to do about their length?

Because of the Wimbledon Semis.
    And no, I don't know what should be done. reason I ask.
    Starry starry night

Re: Fifth Sets. What to do about their length?

Tie breaks all day for me, because although a certain troll seems to think otherwise, players are not paid by the minute. Some people may enjoy watching a 5th set that's as long as a match, but I'm not one of them
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

I think tie break at 12-all in the 5th. It's one additional set to let it be settled closer to the traditional way to please the purists a bit, but stops it before it gets out of control where it destroys the possibility that the player has a shot at playing decently in the next match. For me, players being able to have a shot in the next match should be taken into serious consideration and there have been enough that are still good to go after playing to around 12 games in the 5th that it seems like that's a fair place for the tie-break. Kevin Anderson himself is a great example of that, having played that 5th set versus Federer to 13-11 and then being able to recover for the marathon match 2 days later.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

I’m happy with the USO solution, although I’d be happier for them have the 5th set tie breaker to 10 rather than 7, like the tour doubles scoring

I agree with the TB at the 12 all in the 5th.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

I would go to a tiebreaker at either 10 or 12 all in the 5th. Most matches don't make it to double digits, so up to an extra set seems a reasonable compromise, but the marathons don't really add to the appeal in the end. If someone wants to make an exception for a final, then fine - the players don't have to worry about having to come back and play another match in a day or two, so if it needs to be played out to the bitter end in a final, ok, but not in the middle of the tournament.

Did anyone really think that Anderson was going to be able to play anywhere near peak level after two consecutive marathon matches? I want the opponents to have at least some possibility of playing at their best - and bodies, despite the advances in training/conditioning/nutrition, don't recovery overnight, especially as players get older.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Starting at 12-12, any time both players agree to play a TB, then that's what happens.

Fifth Sets. What to do about their length?

All these baby steps and concessions to avoid big change... either leave it alone (how many fifth sets actually go past 7 or 8 games?) or just cut to the fifth-set TB (ibid ... cant we live without those handful of matches that last a few extra games?). It will happen eventually, then we’ll wonder why we spent so much energy parsing out minor variations. The game has always evolved and it will continue to. Even though the marathon fifth set is incredibly rare, each one creates a multitude of problems that it’s time to eradicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Creates multitude of problems...that are easily solved by us here on TAT They're just not smart enough to work around it at Wimby.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

How many times have we run into this problem on a significant scale?

Twice?

And both times it involved Isner.

So the real solution is for him to go away.

There is inherent drama when a match goes beyond 6-6 in the fifth when it doesn't involve Isner.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

I asked the original question so after reading all of your bright comments (I am not joking) I say:
    Speed up the courts.
    Federer/Anderson, finishing 13-11 in the fifth and featuring one tie-break set, lasted 4:14. Nadal/Djokovic, finishing 10-8 in the fifth with one tie-break set, lasted 5:15. If what is wanted is to make matches shorter, speed up the courts so the points will be shorter and the players will not be so fatigued. Rafa/Nole ran over 40,000 ft in their match, Isner/Anderson ran a little over 30,000. Despite playing 32 extra games in the fifth set, Rafa and Nole was clearly a more physical match.
    Simply because both of them can pretty much run down anything. Rafa's legs must be destroyed even more today than Isner's serving arm.

With today's rackets and strings, the players can have 25 shot rallies on grass. For you to see 25 shots during the Sampras/Edberg/Becker/McEnroe era, you needed a full game, if not two.

I know, somebody will say "If we speed up the courts (and the players) that will still do nothing for braking serves like Isner's". Right. Which then comes back to what Miles says. It is Isner, not the sport. He is the anomaly, so let's just wait a few years until he is gone.
    Heck, Raonic/Isner, done in four merciful sets, was done in 2:42.
    Maybe Wimby knows a bit or two. Specially about patience.
    Starry starry night

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Maybe we just schedule a specific outside court for all Isner matches?
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Roddick/El Aynaoui match at the 2003 Australian that went 21-19 in the fifth is widely considered a classic, probably because of the stark difference in playing styles. I'm glad that match happened and is part of tennis history.
    Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    The Roddick/El Aynaoui match at the 2003 Australian that went 21-19 in the fifth is widely considered a classic, probably because of the stark difference in playing styles. I'm glad that match happened and is part of tennis history.
    I remember that match. But I'd be happy to live without this particular type of classic if the cons outweigh the pros.

As Miles or someone else has said, there really aren't very many problematic marathons. An 8-6 or a 10-8 or 11-9 isn't too bad. And even those must be a small percentage of matches. So I'm torn between: A.) There are very few problem matches, so just live with them and preserve tradition and the drama of the non-problematic overtimes; and B.) There are so few of these marathons, so can't we live without them?

I defer to the players, who seem to be leaning toward the TB in all Slams.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 07-16-2018 at 09:08 PM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.